News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Bocabear

Journey of Water could have been built between The Land and The Seas where it would have connected the two like so many expected.
That would have made so much sense on every possible level.... I am baffled at the moving of it up to the central core...where it looks like some strange piece of the Animal Kingdom or Adventureland was accidently dropped...and worse, these mistakes are not fixable... We will have this odd mini piece of a Polynesian Splash Pad and Water garden thing in the central core of EPCOT now for the life of the park...
and the sheer amount of years it has taken to complete these projects is ridiculous... They built the entire EPCOT Center theme park in 3 years...We have already passed three years since the demo was complete and they have still not completed the central core...

Bocabear

yeah but that is a massive expansion plot and Id like to see it used for something bigger imo
Given the trajectory of the past couple decades, they will never get to the larger expansion pad that sits behind, but they could have used the front section linking the two pavilions...which would have linked land and seas in a way that felt meaningful...and the quadrant of Communicore that was torn down could have had something that has something to do with World Celebration...where it would make sense....

BlakeW39

While I will agree they allowed the attractions to be come stale by not updating, I do not think the initial design and construction of the pavilions caused that. The architecture, like that of John Hench's Tomorrowland, only feels dated through our current lens...and like Tomorrowland, they could repaint everything white and wow! it looks forward thinking, and fresh... Which we have also seen with the refresh of the Communicore building they did not tear down... There is too much hate for the architecture...which was not the culprit... Paving over the central core gardens and green areas was...Not updating and occasionally refreshing the attractions was...but the outward design architecturally was pure and futuristic and beautiful and honestly still stands up.

I wasn't referring to the exterior architecture, I was talking about the interior aesthetics. Which I am sad to say are across the board lackluster. Either way, I didn't mean it necessarily in a derogatory way.... just that the original construction of the pavillions' interiors is dated at best

I mean, I say yes. You can’t do anything worse than the literal nothing that Wonders of Life currently is or the figurative nothing Imagination essentially is. For The Land and The Seas, I’m just asking for the common areas to be refreshed, so nothing would be irreversibly damaged, and again, can’t do much worse than the carpeted walls, ugly murals, and cafeteria aesthetic that blight The Land in particular. Anything proposed for World Showcase should be net new, leaving only Spaceship Earth at risk since there’s still a glimmer of the excellence of the original; still, that needs to happen if only to ensure the ride system isn’t irreparably damaged.

Mmm.... fair enough, but I don't want to see either of these things happen until after Iger's left... reason being any refresh to Seas really needs to ditch the tacky Nemo overlay and I can't imagine IPger making that move

BlakeW39

I seriously think bringing back old Imagination or something very similar could save the entire park if done right. That ride was up there with Tiki room, small world, Pirates, and Haunted as an original Disney ride

It was a CORE part of Disney that is now lacking severely.

Epcot is an example of how you can ruin the character of an entire park by changing too much. Also I'm SERIOUSLY sick of IP attractions and ZERO original ideas. It shows a HUGE creative block on the part of the parks team. It shows that they are not creative at all in fact.

no doubt... but good luck with that ;)

thing is... I think EPCOT is a pretty easy fix. Like the bones are solid. It's not underbuilt like DHS or DAK. Just gotta undo all the crap Eisner did in his late tenure

and hold out hope that 20+ years down the road Guardians gets rethemed by someone with a brain

DCBaker

Premium Member
Looks like an exterior refurbishment at Mission Space is about to begin. Photos from today.

IMG_4108.jpeg
IMG_4118.jpeg
IMG_4116.jpeg
IMG_4119.jpeg
IMG_4109.jpeg

BlakeW39

While it is something I cannot/do not ride anytime, it is the one replacement that really fit the theme of EPCOT Center. Not that I’ve ever been happy about M:S, mind you.

I think it's one of the more solid Eisner era replacements......but that's not saying much.

The Walt Disney Company.....making stupid short sighted decisions since 1996. (at least)

Poseidon Quest

and hold out hope that 20+ years down the road Guardians gets rethemed by someone with a brain

This may sound strange, but I think that it would really work well as a spiritual successor to Adventure Thru Inner Space. Returning to the idea of matter and energy, riders will be shrunken down to the atomic level and will journey through inner space. The star projections could easily become electrons and even the moon that you spin around at the end could be the nucleus of an atom.

It's a weird idea, but so is putting Guardians into Epcot.

BlakeW39

Look up the proposed Journeys in Space concept to replace Horizons. Absolute shame it didn't happen.
This may sound strange, but I think that it would really work well as a spiritual successor to Adventure Thru Inner Space. Returning to the idea of matter and energy, riders will be shrunken down to the atomic level and will journey through inner space. The star projections could easily become electrons and even the moon that you spin around at the end could be the nucleus of an atom.

It's a weird idea, but so is putting Guardians into Epcot.

yeah and see this is what I mean. I know most of it is the IP mandate but what does modern 'imagineering' have any 'imagination' whatsoever? Both of these ideas would have been much better than Guardians. Almost every single idea someone has come up with on this website is better than literally any of the attractions WDI has built over the course of the last 15 years. I don't know if it's higher level execs watering everything down but man, Guardians is such a bummer in my opinion, all that money spent on an 'eh, it was pretty fun."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom