9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Original Poster
I know that this had to be discussed earlier but I missed it......
On September 11, how did Disney handle closing the parks? Was it announced in the parks what had happened that caused the closings? How did the crowds react? How many days were they closed?

Thanks...

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Disney began evacuating all of their parks shortly after the attacks. They had a notice on their website and in the newspapers about the parks being closed until further notice. I remember this clearly because my last trip to Disney was from 9/15 - 9/22 and I was worried that the parks would be closed when we got there. But Disney had the parks reopened again by the Saturday following the attacks. The week saw very low attendance parkwise and every park began having security guards search all bags at the entrances.

burbur

the parks close around 11am or so. i don't wear a watch, so i'm not for sure on the exact time. the audio was shut down, and an announcer came on and called for attention. they announced that due to circumstances beyond their control, that all 4 theme parks and the entire resort was shutting down for further notice. they reminded everyone that all of the hotels would remain open, though. then they thanked everyone for being understanding. we went through an evacuation procedure where the guests exited the main entrance of the park. most guests at dak had no clue what was going on, b/c most people had been there since it had opened at 8am (it seems that most people try to get to dak the minute it opens b/c of the myth that all the animals are more active during the morning hours). anyway, the park was fully operational the next day.

David

Original Poster
Burbur,
Thanks for the reply. Like everything else that day, it had to have a strange feel to it.

wanabeimagineer

So, the guests didnt know about the attacks and about the reason they evacuated the park until they got back to their hotel rooms and turned on their TVs?

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Yeah, we were there shortly after 9/11 and we talked to some people. They were told they all had to leave the parks immediately, but weren't told why.

There was a fair bit on confusion (with good reason), but I can understand them not broadcasting the news in the parks....that could have caused chaos.

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Belle13
I had heard that the parks reopened within the next 2 days after it happened. Did I hear wrong?

Actually the parks reopened again by the following Saturday, 4 days later. I know this because that's when we arrived, the first day they opened the parks back up again.

Tom Morrow

My friend was at Disney during that time, he was staying from Sunday to Sunday. On 9/11, he was on a bus to the Magic Kingdom around 10:30, and nobody had any idea of what had happened. All of a sudden, the bus driver pulled the bus over, was talking on the intercom, and then announced to the passangers the same thing they told everyone in the parks. He turned the bus around and dropped them off back at their hotel where they watched TV the rest of the day. But according to him, everything opened up the next day.

burbur

Originally posted by SilentRascal

Actually the parks reopened again by the following Saturday, 4 days later. I know this because that's when we arrived, the first day they opened the parks back up again.

actually, no. the parks were open on 9/12. that saturday might have been the first day they reopened the waterparks or something, but dak and the three other parks were open on wednesday of that week.

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Originally posted by burbur

actually, no. the parks were open on 9/12. that saturday might have been the first day they reopened the waterparks or something, but dak and the three other parks were open on wednesday of that week.

Actually, no...they didn't open the parks again until Saturday. None of the parks, including Animal Kingdom, were open again until Saturday.

Tom Morrow

Actually, no...they didn't open the parks again until Saturday. None of the parks, including Animal Kingdom, were open again until Saturday.

Take it from people who were there AT THE TIME!!! It opened the next day, 9/12.

burbur

actually, yes... the parks were open the next day. i actually worked 9/12. i don't know where you got your information, but you are wrong.

RogueHabit

Probably a petty question, in light of the events of that day, but did the park visitors get refunds on their days admission???

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Originally posted by burbur

actually, yes... the parks were open the next day. i actually worked 9/12. i don't know where you got your information, but you are wrong.

Actually, no...the parks were not open the next day. In addition to checking regularly right before we left to go there, we talked to several friends who work there and they told us they would not be open until at least Saturday. So it appears YOU are wrong.

JenLUVSmickey

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (Sept. 11, 2001) -- Walt Disney World Resort in Florida will resume operations of all theme parks, water parks, and shopping, entertainment and recreation areas Wednesday morning, officials announced late Tuesday.

That is right out of the WDWMAGIC archive. You are wrong and so are you friends. Go back and read and Newspaper like the New York Times. It says the parks were reopened the very next day.:hammer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom