Disney is hiring 1000 full and part time workers for roles across the Walt Disney World Resort

CtDisneyGuy33

The story about the balloons on the bus was written on the side, not in the actual video. Ive never heard of that. Check out the video though. its odd to say the least.

I want to retire in Orlando and be a Captain of the one of the Friendship boats that run from EPCOT to HS. I want cruise along the waterway telling cheesy Disney jokes to the passengers all day. I told my financial planner that I want to buy a house in Golden Oaks and have enough money to be a Disney boat captain and not worry about the pay by the time im 50. He seriously thinks Im insane, and he lives in Florida and is one the people that live there and could care less about Disney. I told him MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

May sound cheesy, but I plan on retiring to Disney as well. Living in CT, the cost of living from here to there plus wise investments are what I'm banking on...

BigTxEars

Just nod your head and keep walking when people post stuff like that.

I understand when people do not care for something, I just find it odd when they imply it's a failure overall when most of the feedback is positive. Heck I really do not like reality shows on TV, but I would not call them failures as they seem pretty popular.

Disnee4Me

So no one gets their hopes too high remember the majority of the positions will start at $8 and change. Yes it is better than nothing if you really need a job but if you are thinking or moving for the job be sure to do some financial math for your own good. Don't get blinded by the pixie dust.
I think I was make $8 in 1989 when I was a part-time cast member at the Disney Store in my local mall. But then again, the cost of living is a LOT more in CT than FL.

BigTxEars

I have a friend who is employed at WDW in a non-service position... they said that for a large, established company that things backstage are mass chaos. They expected some semblance of organization and protocol when they arrived.

I work for a very very large established company, chaos is common. I expect when you move at large and fast volume with large numbers of employees and customers (like my company and WDW) then chaos is the norm more or less. Just my guess though.

dupac

Yeah, but in the job this friend was in you expect the other professionals to not fly by the seat of their pants.

roj2323

To quote the CM who hired me back in 2005 to work at AK "People who come and work here who are fans of Disney, usually end up hating the place a few months later". After a few months, I understood exactly what he meant. The problem with the Disney employment system is unless you want to work a minimum wadge BS job that no one wants, there are no other opportunities in that company. For example, A friend of mine has worked at the company for 11 years in Attractions and because of all this FP+ nonsense, has started looking for a position working conventions. Turns out, the only real way to get one of those positions is if you know someone, who knows someone, who talked to someone once. That's why I had to laugh when Disney puts out their annual summer casting call. Just the same ol' positions as usual...Adventureland Attractions aka Jungle Cruise ;)

If you have worked at disney for 11 years and not made connections with the people necessary to get you the position you want, YOU are the problem. Moving up within Disney is remarkably easy if you pay attention, take opportunities handed to you, and take some effort to put yourself out there. I've seen people go from minimum wage to management in less than 3 years. Simply put, You get what you put into it, attitude included.

BigTxEars

If you have worked at disney for 11 years and not made connections with the people necessary to get you the position you want, YOU are the problem. Moving up within Disney is remarkably easy if you pay attention, take opportunities handed to you, and take some effort to put yourself out there. I've seen people go from minimum wage to management in less than 3 years. Simply put, You get what you put into it, attitude included.

Same as my company, it is all there if you want it.

Tom Morrow

People who are naturally good at getting people to like you can move up easily at Disney. But hard work and experience alone will do zilch for you.

BigTxEars

People who are naturally good at getting people to like you can move up easily at Disney. But hard work and experience alone will do zilch for you.

Well the ability to positively interact with others in an important trait in management anywhere. Managers manager people, so it a mandatory trait to have in that position.

I would still think hard work would help :)

seascape

Well the ability to positively interact with others in an important trait in management anywhere. Managers manager people, so it a mandatory trait to have in that position.

I would still think hard work would help :)
Hard work and good customer service is what we all want. I make a point of looking for it and letting Disney know who was helpful. We all need to say thank you and recognize good service.

BigTxEars

Hard work and good customer service is what we all want. I make a point of looking for it and letting Disney know who was helpful. We all need to say thank you and recognize good service.

Oh no doubt, I deal with CS at work. I would guess it's 20 to 1 in favor of bad CS being reported vs good CS being reported. I think we are all guilty of it to a degree.

Tigger1988

Same. I've had friends who did the CP who later moved up into non-park jobs within 1 - 2 years. It's up to you to make the connections, not wait for them to come to you.

seascape

Oh no doubt, I deal with CS at work. I would guess it's 20 to 1 in favor of bad CS being reported vs good CS being reported. I think we are all guilty of it to a degree.
That is why we have to all let both Universal and Disney know who provided great service. We are on vacation and want it so we have to do our part too. Always say thank you and try to be reasonable in your requests.

BigTxEars

That is why we have to all let both Universal and Disney know who provided great service. We are on vacation and want it so we have to do our part too. Always say thank you and try to be reasonable in your requests.

I do, but I need to do it more I guess :)

BigThunderMatt

I've seen people go from minimum wage to management in less than 3 years.

Permanent management or a TA salaried role? Disney is notorious for hiring way more people than they need and placing them into talent pools, offering them TA (read, temporary test drive) "opportunities" that rarely ever lead to permanent placement. It's an archaic, antiquated system that solely benefits the company and prevents those individuals who are in such situations from making any important life decisions due to not knowing what their income will be like six months down the road. Because that's the best part, once that TA is over if they have nothing for you, you go right back to where you were. Making $20k a year to start, up to making $40k a year, back to making to $20k a year. And they will never let on that you're getting picked up for something, until you're picked up for something.

NMBC1993

First of all I was not the one looking for that position, I learned to get out of that horrible line of work years ago. Second of all your missing the point, my friend was not looking to get into some kind of management role (notice that all you talk about is "moving up in the company"). All my friend was looking for was a transfer out of attractions because of the FP+ chaos that is not even needed at their position, into a convention role (not a management convention role mind you). The problem I have with the hiring system is for the exact reason you bring up. Why should an employee (with an outstanding record of 11 years) have to rub shoulders with the entire management team, just to get a simple transfer into something that isn't the same old positions (Attractions, F&B, Merchandise, etc.). Shouldn't the record speak for itself? Mind you, my friend was just as happy at their previous attractions position before FP+ and was not interested in any promotions anyway because they worked other jobs as well. But when the time comes for an employee to want to branch out? Well apparently they have to pull a Monica Lewinsky on the higher ups before anyone even looks at you. I know that's how the business world works, but it's sad when someone is considered a number rather than a person. When I did work for the company I always got the feeling that certain managers had no idea how to do their job, I guess it makes sense how they got that position now :)

My point to all this is, it's all fine and dandy when management comes to YOU with an employment opportunity but when it's the other way around "Well uh, we'll see what we can do...now get back to work!".

Last edited:

Jahona

noticed they were offering 10.50 for photopass photographer. I can understand an amateur for that price but the requirements and skills they were looking for were for a professional. Double that price for that qualification. Maybe this is why the last time I was at WDW I had to show the photopass girl at Epcot how to use her camera properly in the lowering light of dusk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom