7DMT Animatronics

LithiumBill

I do not think it is a loaded statement at all. Disney used to pride themselves on creating environments that would convince even experts. And my statement is not limited to Disney, I have no compassion for willful ignorance in any subject. Too often I see people countering the "bashers" by saying they choose not to notice something that is sub-standard.
It's loaded because you are going to get people that respond "en fuego"... ;)

Do you not visit the parks then? Based on your comment, it sounds like you do not.

jensenrick

The one swinging the pick axe (yes I can't tell one dwarf from another) is doing more the move back and forth. Along with the axe swinging the head is moving with at least two degrees of freedom. This doesn't even take into consideration the level of apparent movement that the projections add. No, these are not the most advanced animatronics Disney has done, but they are a step above a lot of what is in Mermaid and are appropriate for how they are being used.

That's the one that impressed me the most as well- I believe it's Bashful? The way his head moves- it's quite human and fluid and certainly more than I was led to believe we were getting. I hope we get more than a second to see them on the ride. Well done, Disney.

WildcatDen

Why should people who go to Disney to enjoy themselves, not do so while pointing out the flaws when we see them?
Just curious, do you constantly point out the flaws in your significant other yet still bunk down mere inches from him each night? After awhile, does the constant bickering about what is wrong with this person make you love them any less?

In my opinion, a lot of people on this board, who never see any POSITIVE comments from select cyber identities, often wonder why others put themselves through the horror of visiting and spending money on something others portray as substandard.

Or, here is another point of view. Back in the so-called hey day of Disney, the company was "Dating" their customers. Always spending and making sure everything was just right. Impressing just to impress. Now, it looks like the company Walt built is married to its customer. Gone are the days of impressing to just impress. Sure, every now and then, the spouse will do something nice but for the most part, it knows it already has you so it gets by doing as little as possible. So you are left with the choice. Stay with your bloated, pimply, hairy backed spouse, or cozy up to the new young suitor down the street.

MerlinTheGoat

An entertainment product is hardly comparable to a marriage. At least not for any sane person (though I am in no doubt that there are actually some creepy weirdos out there who like to pretend that a Disney park is their spouse). Just to START with, marriage doesn't require you to throw down $100 per day to enjoy their company (though to be fair there's a certain act usually practiced in a marriage that some people DO charge money for on the streets). Spontaneous and frivolous gifts can be passed back and forth between spouses sure, but they're not supposed to be what ties the marriage together and keeps the couple happy with one another (they're just tokens of endearment to show someone how special they are to you). An ideal spouse or romantic partner however will not ban you from being with them if you don't give them gifts every day. Now if I WAS charged $100 a day to be with someone, you can be absolutely sure I would be critical of them if my expectations were not met (even if there were things I liked about them). Then again I would probably have made sure well in advance not to have begun dating someone who made such demands of me in the first place.

But again, Disney World (or any other theme park) is not a marriage. It is a product being sold as entertainment by a multi billion dollar corporation. While we as Disney fans may enjoy the parks and hold them as something special in our hearts, we are still purchasing a form of entertainment from a business who views us (at least now that Walt is long dead) as nothing more than a means to make money for themselves. Like a movie, TV show, song, video game or any other form of entertainment that you purchase, it is subject to criticism and people are well within their right to do so. Even if there are things you do enjoy about it. It's why there exists reviews for movies and all those other forms of entertainment. Theme parks should hardly be any different than those in regards to allowing criticism. Arguably it's actually much more important to criticize theme parks than other forms of media, given the way that parks change throughout history (a movie for instance generally remains fundamentally the same over the years, it's at least usually able to be found in its original form despite any changes made to future releases or whatever movies release after it). It's constructive to express views about something that changes over time. And there have been cases where fan criticism HAS influenced positive changes to the parks (rare though these cases may be).

Last edited:

jmmc

A lot of threads seem to degenerate to this...

There's two different things we're talking about here. One is what you may think of these AAs. Whether or not you think Disney can adequately maintain them is another discussion all together. Maybe there's some evidence to the contrary, but I'd like to think that when these projection figures are so vital to the ride, the powers that be have considered what would happen if they're broken.

My opinion now is just that I think these look really good, and I think that this projection system -- assuming it keeps working -- is a nice alternative to having animated faces for AAs, many of which don't have any facial movements at all, outside of the very high-tech show AAs we see in Hall of Presidents or The American Adventure. This kind of thing is not on the same level as making a ride all screens or monitors. I like Toy Story Mania and think that works well there. As long as that's unique and not a trend.

I do think that some people around this site do seem like they will complain no matter what is done, and that almost nothing satisfies them in a new attraction. I have no problem with being critical of things when Disney deserves it. When ride features break down and go for months without being fixed, THAT is fair game. Anything not maintained adequately is. After all, we are customers and not only are we paying money for these things, we are paying A LOT of money.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just curious, do you constantly point out the flaws in your significant other yet still bunk down mere inches from him each night? After awhile, does the constant bickering about what is wrong with this person make you love them any less?

In my opinion, a lot of people on this board, who never see any POSITIVE comments from select cyber identities, often wonder why others put themselves through the horror of visiting and spending money on something others portray as substandard.

Or, here is another point of view. Back in the so-called hey day of Disney, the company was "Dating" their customers. Always spending and making sure everything was just right. Impressing just to impress. Now, it looks like the company Walt built is married to its customer. Gone are the days of impressing to just impress. Sure, every now and then, the spouse will do something nice but for the most part, it knows it already has you so it gets by doing as little as possible. So you are left with the choice. Stay with your bloated, pimply, hairy backed spouse, or cozy up to the new young suitor down the street.

That's not really a valid analogy, the way you treat a personal relationship is much different the way a group of customers discusses a common product. This is a fan site where a lot of people come to discuss Disney and I would expect people to post their honest opinions, either good or bad. The vast majority of people here are balanced when it comes to Disney, they have their likes and dislikes. Very few people here hate everything about Disney.

WildcatDen

That's not really a valid analogy.
While I do not disagree with you for the most part, I fear it may be a bit more of an accurate anology than some would care to admit. Much like the church is the Bride of Christ, Disney is the Bride of Pixie Dust huffers.

I immensly enjoy my trips to Walt Disney World and have just returned from a southern pilgrimage. While I can see what a lot of the critical board members say and continue to say, I simply choose not to focus on the sometimes trivial and put my focus on my family and the memories we are making, sharing in something we all care about.

lazyboy97o

If my spouse took up behavior that I believed to be destructive then I would not just ignore it.

WildcatDen

If my spouse took up behavior that I believed to be destructive then I would not just ignore it.
OK. Let's say, for arguments sake that she has put on a few pounds. Do you continually hit her with "Hey Fatty", "Maybe that portion size is too big", "You should skip dessert", "Boy, those pants don't seem to fit you like they used to", "I didn't know they made underware that size", "You know, Carol down the street sure has lost a lot of weight. . . She is looking real good"

Now, I understand the wife has feelings as well and can either suck it up and hit Jenny Craig or take the abuse for so long before hitting the road, then hitting Jenny Craig on her own and subsequently starting a relationship with your younger, better looking co-worker. . .

But I digress. . .

Last edited:

LithiumBill

OK. Let's say, for arguments sake that she has put on a few pounds. Do you continually hit her with "Hey Fatty", "Maybe that portion size is too big", "You should skip dessert", "Boy, those pants don't seem to fit you like they used to", "I didn't know they made underware that size", "You know, Carol down the street sure has lost a lot of weight. . . She is looking real good"

Now, I understand the wife has feelings as well and can either suck it up and hit Jenny Craig or take the abuse for so long before hitting the road, then hitting Jenny Craig on her own and subsequently starting a relationship with your younger, better looking co-worker of yours. . .

But I digress. . .
You win, sir. That made me smile... well done.

Mr. Peabody

Now, I understand the wife has feelings as well and can either suck it up and hit Jenny Craig or take the abuse for so long before hitting the road, then hitting Jenny Craig on her own and subsequently starting a relationship with your younger, better looking co-worker of yours. . .

But I digress. . .
So the "haters" should just shut up so that they don't hurt Disney's feelings? o_O

lazyboy97o

But I digress. . .
You are really pushing these analogies... this one is a bit far fetched. Harming one's self, and not maintaining an amusement park are not comparable.
When it comes to businesses that have long held a position of prominence in their respective industry, their fall is not a sudden event but the result of a gradual process that is difficult to overcome. It has happened before, it will happen again and it can happen to Walt Disney World.

Last edited:

Sevier

While I do not disagree with you for the most part, I fear it may be a bit more of an accurate anology than some would care to admit. Much like the church is the Bride of Christ, Disney is the Bride of Pixie Dust huffers.

I immensly enjoy my trips to Walt Disney World and have just returned from a southern pilgrimage. While I can see what a lot of the critical board members say and continue to say, I simply choose not to focus on the sometimes trivial and put my focus on my family and the memories we are making, sharing in something we all care about.

^^^ gets it.

LithiumBill

When it comes to businesses that have log held a position of prominence in their respective industry, their fall is not a sudden event but the result of a gradual process that is difficult to overcome. It has happened before, it will happen again and it can happen to Walt Disney World.
Yes. True.

Better response than comparing bad habits of a spouse to an amusement park. ;)

WE should focus back on topic, this is a whole other beast.

Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody's glasses be broke if you read that in my post. Bottom line, haters are gonna hate. There is a lot more in life to worry or complain about than a theme park.
So we're done with that analogy, I guess?

Anyway, it's not fair to just brand people here as haters just because they are critical. Along those same lines, there is a lot more in life to worry or complain about than what others write anonymously online about a theme park.

lazyboy97o

Yes. True.

Better response than comparing bad habits of a spouse to an amusement park. ;)

WE should focus back on topic, this is a whole other beast.
I'm not the one who started that analogy nor did I immediately equated expressions of concern to constant demeaning attacks on an individual.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom