7DMT Animatronics

MerlinTheGoat

"Disapointing" is very much your opinion on toy story mania. According to everyone I've ridden the attraction with, it is anything but disappointing. In fact, it's my wife's favorite attraction in all of WDW.
Of course it's an opinion, so is your comment about the ride. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I think Toy Story Mania is a bad ride. People are free to like whatever they like, the only thing this attraction did for me was make me regret having waited in line to ride it (and I didn't wait long, 5 minutes and it still felt like a massive waste of my time). My idea of a fun Disney experience is not waiting in a long line (the queue is actually the only good part of the ride IMO) only to have the end result turn out to be a mediocre video game disguised as a ride. Even as a huge video game player myself, shooting at video screens doesn't impress me with regards to a Disney ride (and if I wanted to play such a meh video game i'd just go an buy a copy of the adaptation for Wii/360/PS3). Even less impressed by the absurd standby lines it consistently commands of often 90+ minutes (which has immensely less to do with the inherent quality of the ride, and more because of the crippling lack of other kid friendly non-thrill rides at the park). Probably my least favorite "ride" at WDW.

Nah...it's not that much cheaper. It's just a step forward (a small one) in the evolution of AAs. Maybe not even forward...more of a step sideways.

One concern I have...what happens when the projection system fails? A blank face? How many have to go out before the ride goes 101?
And you know it's going to happen, these things breaking and remaining that way for a long time has become an inevitability, not even a hypothetical scenario. That's not being cynical or pessimistic in the slightest, the proof is scattered all over WDW property. In the past couple of years, even the newer figures such as the Beauty and the Beast projections have gone down for a substantial period of time apparently. I don't know what they do for Lumiere when he malfunctions (perhaps hide him behind curtains), but the solution for the wardrobe was to put a frilly looking bag over her head. One does wonder what will become of the dwarfs when their faces inevitably go out for some time. If they leave them be, we'll be stuck with the nightmare fuel of faceless/mouthless dwarfs. Or perhaps they'll put burlap sacks over their heads so they end up looking like pint sized redneck serial killers... Either way, unlike how some people can ignore a stationary AA due to not knowing any better, no one with working eyes can ignore that there's a problem with it. And i'm not sure any quantity of pixie dust can cover up the nightmare fuel that is a faceless/mouthless Dopey figure with jagged diamonds sticking out of his eyes.

The weird thing is that the older projection effects on Haunted Mansion are incredibly consistent. At least back from early 2012 and before when I visited last. I've ridden Haunted Mansion a ton too. And while the newer projection effects inside the ride tend to be hit or miss (especially the recent revisions to the hitchhiking ghosts), the old classic effects such as Leota and the singing busts have never not worked when I rode (never seen them switched off and the clarity is always excellent). Not sure what's up with that, whether they were better designed originally or they're just better maintained. Tons of other projections across WDW property are common to see in various states of disrepair. Whether they be in POTC, Soarin or the new FLE attractions.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Nah...it's not that much cheaper. It's just a step forward (a small one) in the evolution of AAs. Maybe not even forward...more of a step sideways.

One concern I have...what happens when the projection system fails? A blank face? How many have to go out before the ride goes 101?
Normal people are just happy to be at Disney, unlike you Disney bashers. I'm not even going to know if there are figures in this ride or if they are working, I'll just be happy I'm at Disney.

Sevier

Normal people are just happy to be at Disney, unlike you Disney bashers. I'm not even going to know if there are figures in this ride or if they are working, I'll just be happy I'm at Disney.

Pretentiousness aside, there are, believe it or not, people who like to...get ready...Enjoy their trips to Disney. I know that won't be popular here.

flynnibus

Premium Member

An effective 'B mode' would be to include a static image backup in addition to the projector in the unit. Projector down.. throw the switch an a static image w/backlight is used. (think child's ceiling projector toy)

I don't understand all the huffing and puffing honestly. What is changing here is WHERE Disney can stuff this stuff now compared to in the past. It's been an effective show technique for decades.. why all the skepticism like this is something that will never work consistently?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And you know it's going to happen, these things breaking and remaining that way for a long time has become an inevitability, not even a hypothetical scenario. That's not being cynical or pessimistic in the slightest, the proof is scattered all over WDW property. In the past couple of years, even the newer figures such as the Beauty and the Beast projections have gone down for a substantial period of time apparently. I don't know what they do for Lumiere when he malfunctions (perhaps hide him behind curtains), but the solution for the wardrobe was to put a frilly looking bag over her head. One does wonder what will become of the dwarfs when their faces inevitably go out for some time. If they leave them be, we'll be stuck with the nightmare fuel of faceless/mouthless dwarfs. Or perhaps they'll put burlap sacks over their heads so they end up looking like pint sized redneck serial killers... Either way, unlike how some people can ignore a stationary AA due to not knowing any better, no one with working eyes can ignore that there's a problem with it. And i'm not sure any quantity of pixie dust can cover up the nightmare fuel that is a faceless/mouthless Dopey figure with jagged diamonds sticking out of his eyes.

The weird thing is that the older projection effects on Haunted Mansion are incredibly consistent. At least back from early 2012 and before when I visited last. I've ridden Haunted Mansion a ton too. And while the newer projection effects inside the ride tend to be hit or miss (especially the recent revisions to the hitchhiking ghosts), the old classic effects such as Leota and the singing busts have never not worked when I rode (never seen them switched off and the clarity is always excellent). Not sure what's up with that, whether they were better designed originally or they're just better maintained. Tons of other projections across WDW property are common to see in various states of disrepair. Whether they be in POTC, Soarin or the new FLE attractions.
I don't disagree that there will need to be maintenance. This ride will be popular and people will be upset if its closed during "their vacation". I would imagine they won't shut the ride down immediately if one AA face goes out. It's the nature of things at WDW. What's the alternative? Just use simple figures or cardboard cutouts instead so there won't be a need for as much maintenance? I'll gladly take these AAs with occasional breakdowns over that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Pretentiousness aside, there are, believe it or not, people who like to...get ready...Enjoy their trips to Disney. I know that won't be popular here.

You are under the mistaken impression (a lot new comers make this mistake) that people who criticize Disney either don't go to the parks, or don't enjoy themselves when they get there. Being critical of the bad things, and enjoying your vacation are not incompatible. I went to Epcot for the first time back in the 80's and loved the imagination pavilion. Today I, and a lot of other people, are very critical of the state of the pavilion, but despite that I still enjoy my time there. Bottom line is, if you love Disney, it's still ok to criticize them on things you don't like. If everyone where to come on here and do nothing but gush about how they love everything at Disney, it would be a pretty boring message board.

Sevier

You are under the mistaken impression (a lot new comers make this mistake) that people who criticize Disney either don't go to the parks, or don't enjoy themselves when they get there. Being critical of the bad things, and enjoying your vacation are not incompatible. I went to Epcot for the first time back in the 80's and loved the imagination pavilion. Today I, and a lot of other people, are very critical of the state of the pavilion, but despite that I still enjoy my time there. Bottom line is, if you love Disney, it's still ok to criticize them on things you don't like. If everyone where to come on here and do nothing but gush about how they love everything at Disney, it would be a pretty boring message board.

I totally understand this line of thinking. It's bizarre to me though how the other poster had a snarky and sarcastic post for people who are happy to be at Disney and enjoy their vacations. Of course that tone is popular here so it received likes from the usuals. To me it's sad and really odd that someone would ever, under any circumstance, not want to enjoy their vacation. Now we're making fun of people who enjoy their trips to Disney World? That alone is a sad commentary on the groupthink that permeates this forum.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I totally understand this line of thinking. It's bizarre to me though how the other poster had a snarky and sarcastic post for people who are happy to be at Disney and enjoy their vacations. Of course that tone is popular here so it received likes from the usuals. To me it's sad and really odd that someone would ever, under any circumstance, not want to enjoy their vacation. Now we're making fun of people who enjoy their trips to Disney World? That alone is a sad commentary on the groupthink that permeates this forum.

I think the point he was trying to make is that there is a difference between going, enjoying yourself but still being able to acknowledge the flaws, and being so totally enamored of the product that you won't even acknowledge flaws. The second group often gets very defensive when people point out the flaw since they feel the beloved product is being attacked.

If you don't like the way things are on this forum, why do you still participate?

LithiumBill

I am not interested in enjoyment of any kind that requires deliberate ignorance.
That's a loaded response, lol. Ignorance for us, the overly informed, fanatics, is a lot different that the other 98% of the visitors to the parks. We see things differently.

I go yearly (or every other year) with my family, and my kids do not notice the things we do. They have an amazing trip, and that is what really matters to us. I see the things we talk about, and all the new things down I4 that we visit as well... but it does not mean I'm not enjoying myself.

LithiumBill

I said it before, I will say it again. This site is like Sports talk radio. We all love our team, but can call in and complain about them really loudly! (and there is a ton of snark there as well)

LithiumBill

Coming from the king of hating the snark (me), I will tell you that the people here (for the most part) love WDW and just want it to come back to the place it was 20 years ago. There are people that are UNI lovers that feel the same way, and right now they are the comeback kids, and have reason to be gloating a bit. Does not mean we are al haters on WDW.

If everyone just respected everyone else's comments a bit more, life would be better -- but this is 2014, and snark and the ability to hide behind the internet makes people bolder.

I'm not going to let anyone here tell me I cannot enjoy my vacation, because their opinions tell me to. Neither should you.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Coming from the king of hating the snark (me), I will tell you that the people here (for the most part) love WDW and just want it to come back to the place it was 20 years ago. There are people that are UNI lovers that feel the same way, and right now they are the comeback kids, and have reason to be gloating a bit. Does not mean we are al haters on WDW.

If everyone just respected everyone else's comments a bit more, life would be better -- but this is 20114, and snark and the ability to hide behind the internet makes people bolder.

I'm not going to let anyone here tell me I cannot enjoy my vacation, because their opinions tell me to. Neither should you.

This is very good advise. I was snarky to a member here at one point, and then I discovered very recently that we work for the same company in the same building. You never know who the person behind the nick-name might be. :)

lazyboy97o

That's a loaded response, lol. Ignorance for us, the overly informed, fanatics, is a lot different that the other 98% of the visitors to the parks. We see things differently.
I do not think it is a loaded statement at all. Disney used to pride themselves on creating environments that would convince even experts. And my statement is not limited to Disney, I have no compassion for willful ignorance in any subject. Too often I see people countering the "bashers" by saying they choose not to notice something that is sub-standard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom