Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
For Dopey, especially!!

2 pairs of running sneakers.
Bring throwaway layer clothing- I usually get mine from walmart..sweatshirts are around 12 bucks and sweatpants about 9. Some of those mornings are downright cold
Temper your expectations for parks. 4 early mornings will zap you more than the races
After each race, get in that hot tub/pool and bicycle your legs around- huge help!

That big hot tub at Copper Creek was a godsend during a cold Princess Weekend.

Surferboy567

You do want to spend some time after a race walking once you've gotten back, cleaned up and eaten. So 30 minutes to an hour of a leisurely stroll through a park is a good thing. If you're following Galloway's training schedule, Jeff talks about that.
Definitely don’t want to stiff up I can also do that at the hotel as well as post-race walks.

My point being for the parks that a heavy day of trying to get on rides may be detrimental to the Dopey Challenge.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Definitely don’t want to stiff up I can also do that at the hotel as well as post-race walks.

My point being for the parks that a heavy day of trying to get on rides may be detrimental to the Dopey Challenge.

I wait for my big park day after the last race of the weekend. Otherwise, I just went over to the park and walked around for a bit...mainly to show off my medal. 😆

Surferboy567

I wait for my big park day after the last race of the weekend. Otherwise, I just went over to the park and walked around for a bit...mainly to show off my medal. 😆
Showing off medals is super fun and the pictures that come with it. Did that with my challenge medal after Springtime Surprise.

That’s also another reason why I plan on bringing everything to Medal Monday. It’s a weird adjustment (at least for me) to not have a parks centric trip when going to WDW.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member

I'll add that if you're following Jeff's plan or close to it, get his Marathon guide book (Amazon has it). He has a lot of great info in it.
If you don't use gels or a mid run power source, start trying some on longer runs or looking into what works best for you.
I 2nd Walmart on race morning layers, thou I do zip hoodies.

LAKid53

Premium Member
If you don't use gels or a mid run power source, start trying some on longer runs or looking into what works best for you.

Agree. Mile 8 of a 26.2 mile race is not the time to find out Brand X refueling gels/chews/waffles don't agree with your digestive system. Try out several brands and types that work for you...that would include flavors...during your training runs.

Last edited:

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Agree. Mile 8 of a 26.2 mile race is not the time to find out Brand X refueling gels/chews/waffles don't agree with your digestive system. Try out several brands and types that work for you...that would include flavors...during your training runs.
I use Maurten gels and Clif energy gels (well I did use Clif gels).
3 weeks before Princess race weekend I went to order gels for my upcoming races, knowing I'd use them up from training. I soon discovered Amazon didn't have the Clif gels in stock and the Clif store wouldn't arrive in time for me. So I picked up Gu and tried it on a long run and it didn't work for me.
Flavors, oh so many and some that just shouldn't be.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I use Maurten gels and Clif energy gels (well I did use Clif gels).
3 weeks before Princess race weekend I went to order gels for my upcoming races, knowing I'd use them up from training. I soon discovered Amazon didn't have the Clif gels in stock and the Clif store wouldn't arrive in time for me. So I picked up Gu and tried it on a long run and it didn't work for me.
Flavors, oh so many and some that just shouldn't be.

A chocolate gel isn't appealing.....

I like Honey Stinger chews. Not quite as hard to consume as a gel, which I always had to take a few swallows of water with it. Several good flavors like Cherry Blossom and Fruit Punch. I also get the Jelly Belly energy beans that runDisney used to hand out. Love the mixed berry ones so much I tend to eat them as candy.

Surferboy567

I'll add that if you're following Jeff's plan or close to it, get his Marathon guide book (Amazon has it). He has a lot of great info in it.
I 2nd Walmart on race morning layers, thou I do zip hoodies.
A chocolate gel isn't appealing.....

I like Honey Stinger chews. Not quite as hard to consume as a gel, which I always had to take a few swallows of water with it. Several good flavors like Cherry Blossom and Fruit Punch. I also get the Jelly Belly energy beans that runDisney used to hand out. Love the mixed berry ones so much I tend to eat them as candy.
I’ve actually never used any kind of gels or really any kind of energy drink ever in my entire life.

Are they necessary?

Will definitely get throwaway items.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Necessary? No. Do they help when you are running long distances? Yes. And all the more so during training runs when you don’t have a food station along the route.

runDisney has one for the half at mile 9. The recommendation is to fuel after the first 45 minutes of a race, then every 5 miles or 30 minutes, depending on your pace.

Surferboy567

Necessary? No. Do they help when you are running long distances? Yes. And all the more so during training runs when you don’t have a food station along the route.
runDisney has one for the half at mile 9. The recommendation is to fuel after the first 45 minutes of a race, then every 5 miles or 30 minutes, depending on your pace.
Just wanted to be sure nothing bad would come of them. I am not one to drink any kind of energy drink.

Surferboy567

I'm talking about gels, chews and waffles. Things like Clif, gu, Honey Stinger brands. Not Monster or Red Bull.
Gotcha, I knew you meant gels. I just didn’t know if they were considered “energy drinks” like Monster, Red Bull and the like.

I’m new to the idea of gels and always thought if they were like energy drinks I’d stay away. If not though (as I’m hearing then) I’m open to the idea.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I’ve actually never used any kind of gels or really any kind of energy drink ever in my entire life.

Are they necessary?

Will definitely get throwaway items.
As @LAKid53 stated, after 45 minutes is the recommendation to fuel up. Most brands will share on their website a plan on how to use them.
Energy drinks during training, I've only had success with doing half water and half Powerade or Gatorade. Beyond that, what I've tried has either felt too heavy in my belly or made me crash harder.

If you want to go a little more natural energy route, I do that too... Peter Rabbit Organic Strawberry Banana squeeze pouches, are sold at *bucks and some markets, they'll provide you with a little natural kick. Almond Butter, works better than peanut butter. And dried fruit too.

Surferboy567

As @LAKid53 stated, after 45 minutes is the recommendation to fuel up. Most brands will share on their website a plan on how to use them.
Energy drinks during training, I've only had success with doing half water and half Powerade or Gatorade. Beyond that, what I've tried has either felt too heavy in my belly or made me crash harder.

If you want to go a little more natural energy route, I do that too... Peter Rabbit Organic Strawberry Banana squeeze pouches, are sold at *bucks and some markets, they'll provide you with a little natural kick. Almond Butter, works better than peanut butter. And dried fruit too.
On course during my first Disney half (and every Disney run) I stopped at every hydration stop and switch between PowerAid/Water. Usually I run on an empty stomach.

I’ve always taken the sport beans but never actually ate them. Just put them in my belt.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Gotcha, I knew you meant gels. I just didn’t know if they were considered “energy drinks” like Monster, Red Bull and the like.

I’m new to the idea of gels and always thought if they were like energy drinks I’d stay away. If not though (as I’m hearing then) I’m open to the idea.

The rule of thumb is to try these things first during a training run (when you can stop if your stomach has an adverse reaction to them). Some of the gels have a high caffeine content (over here it is clearly marked on the packaging) and personally I find them way too sweet so I don’t use gels. The same company here that makes energy gels and sponsors most large races also makes an energy tablet that you can chew. I tend to use those on runs going over an hour.

Swissmiss

Premium Member

I often will have an apple sauce squeeze packet before a run if I am going after work and don’t feel like I have enough energy to fuel my run.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The rule of thumb is to try these things first during a training run (when you can stop if your stomach has an adverse reaction to them). Some of the gels have a high caffeine content (over here it is clearly marked on the packaging) and personally I find them way too sweet so I don’t use gels. The same company here that makes energy gels and sponsors most large races also makes an energy tablet that you can chew. I tend to use those on runs going over an hour.

Salt tablets help with cramping after runs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom