Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
It's officially down to just the Marathon! No longer a virtual queue to get to registration.

Surferboy567

Now that I’m officially in for Dopey I guess now is as good as time as any to discuss preparations.

Training officially starts on June 27th for Galloway I have put together an Excel sheet to keep myself aware of training weeks ahead of time. I have also subscribed to Strava. I’m gonna stick to my 15/30 intervals (nervous changing it now would jeopardize things). With all this running, music is going to be super important so I have overhauled my playlist.

I have bought a massage gun off Amazon, as well as a foam roller.
In order to track myself as training goes along I have also gotten a smart scale.

I run in Saucony Tempus, I am due for another pair soon but I feel as if a new version is going to come soon, so trying to wait for that. Plan on getting two pairs just because I am sure training will wear out one pair before the actual race. I am toying with the idea of grabbing club runDisney when it goes on general sale May 23.

In terms of future registrations after Dopey (since they are coming up):

Virtual Series - Going for the challenge
Princess 2024 - skipping this weekend
Springtime Surprise 2024 - I may return to Springtime Surprise next year depending on the themes, I have a soft spot for this weekend as it was my first ever runDisney event. I also (as of now) have a “perfect“ status, if such a thing even exists.
Wine & Dine 2024 - I may also return to this event next year but it seems like it may be one or the other. If I can swing it MAYBE I’ll do both.
Disneyland 2025 - I would like to register for this but we will see it all depends.

*I’ll be running each weekend I don’t do in-person virtually more then likely.

Any other tips on helpful items for Dopey?

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Now that I’m officially in for Dopey I guess now is as good as time as any to discuss preparations.

Training officially starts on June 27th for Galloway I have put together an Excel sheet to keep myself aware of training weeks ahead of time. I have also subscribed to Strava. I’m gonna stick to my 15/30 intervals (nervous changing it now would jeopardize things). With all this running, music is going to be super important so I have overhauled my playlist.

I have bought a massage gun off Amazon, as well as a foam roller.
In order to track myself as training goes along I have also gotten a smart scale.

I run in Saucony Tempus, I am due for another pair soon but I feel as if a new version is going to come soon, so trying to wait for that. Plan on getting two pairs just because I am sure training will wear out one pair before the actual race. I am toying with the idea of grabbing club runDisney when it goes on general sale May 23.

In terms of future registrations after Dopey (since they are coming up):

Virtual Series - Going for the challenge
Princess 2024 - skipping this weekend
Springtime Surprise 2024 - I may return to Springtime Surprise next year depending on the themes, I have a soft spot for this weekend as it was my first ever runDisney event. I also (as of now) have a “perfect“ status, if such a thing even exists.
Wine & Dine 2024 - I may also return to this event next year but it seems like it may be one or the other. If I can swing it MAYBE I’ll do both.
Disneyland 2025 - I would like to register for this but we will see it all depends.

*I’ll be running each weekend I don’t do in-person virtually more then likely.

Any other tips on helpful items for Dopey?

I'd bring more than 1 pair of shoes for race weekend. They say you need to give a shoe 48 hours "rest" after a race. Wear Pair A for 5k, Pair B for 10K, then switch back to Pair A. Plus, having more than one pair of shoes is good in case it starts raining during a race (looking at you 2019 SW 5K).

Rteetz

I'd bring more than 1 pair of shoes for race weekend. They say you need to give a shoe 48 hours "rest" after a race. Wear Pair A for 5k, Pair B for 10K, then switch back to Pair A. Plus, having more than one pair of shoes is good in case it starts raining during a race (looking at you 2019 SW 5K).
I agree. I always have two pairs of running shoes for Dopey. 1 for 5K/Half and one for 10K/Full. I then wear neither shoe in the parks. I typically have 4-5 pairs of shoes total with me for a Dopey weekend.

Surferboy567

I agree. I always have two pairs of running shoes for Dopey. 1 for 5K/Half and one for 10K/Full. I then wear neither shoe in the parks. I typically have 4-5 pairs of shoes total with me for a Dopey weekend.

Noted, thanks! As for park time during Dopey, I have made the decision (and this is still a work in progress) to not go to the parks barely at all. My reasoning is that prolonged time on my feet could lead to complications for the race(s). I noticed that when racing Springtime I didn't change my park habits at all, and this while not a problem for Springtime (though I was starting to feel it at the beginning of the 10-Miler) I can see being a problem for Marathon Weekend. I plan on staying at least two extra days AFTER the race so I can enjoy the parks at least for a little.

I also plan on booking a capture your moment on Medal Monday at Magic Kingdom.

surfsupdon

For Dopey, especially!!

2 pairs of running sneakers.
Bring throwaway layer clothing- I usually get mine from walmart..sweatshirts are around 12 bucks and sweatpants about 9. Some of those mornings are downright cold
Temper your expectations for parks. 4 early mornings will zap you more than the races
After each race, get in that hot tub/pool and bicycle your legs around- huge help!

Surferboy567

For Dopey, especially!!

2 pairs of running sneakers.
Bring throwaway layer clothing- I usually get mine from walmart..sweatshirts are around 12 bucks and sweatpants about 9. Some of those mornings are downright cold
Temper your expectations for parks. 4 early mornings will zap you more than the races
After each race, get in that hot tub/pool and bicycle your legs around- huge help!
Appreciate all these tips!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Noted, thanks! As for park time during Dopey, I have made the decision (and this is still a work in progress) to not go to the parks barely at all. My reasoning is that prolonged time on my feet could lead to complications for the race(s). I noticed that when racing Springtime I didn't change my park habits at all, and this while not a problem for Springtime (though I was starting to feel it at the beginning of the 10-Miler) I can see being a problem for Marathon Weekend. I plan on staying at least two extra days AFTER the race so I can enjoy the parks at least for a little.

I also plan on booking a capture your moment on Medal Monday at Magic Kingdom.

You do want to spend some time after a race walking once you've gotten back, cleaned up and eaten. So 30 minutes to an hour of a leisurely stroll through a park is a good thing. If you're following Galloway's training schedule, Jeff talks about that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom