70 Disney Bus Drivers Quit Last Week?!?

ssidiouss@mac.c

Original Poster
Busses were pretty bad this week going to Pop Century after the parks were closed.. and on one trip back a lady bus driver said that around 70 bus drivers just quit last pay period.

She said that Disney switched to some new schedule thing where they are forcing 10 hour days and 6 days a week.. so about 20 hours overtime per week forced. Another mentioned something about it too. A lot of these drivers are older and only want 40-50 hours per week.. 60 hour work weeks with only 1 day off is rough. The union must stink.

Anyway, one night going from pop century was really bad.. i think it was friday.. and I saw something really odd. An E-Z bus (i think it said E-Z.. not sure) picked up people from the Magic Kingdom line at the Pop Century to take them to the Magic Kingdom. This wasn't a Disney Bus nor did it have a Disney Driver in it. It was a huge magical express sized bus that just loaded everyone onto it and drove them to Magic Kingdom. Had disney used non didney busses/drivers before to take people to the parks? It looked really wierd.

EpcotMark

ssidiouss@mac.c said:
Busses were pretty bad this week going to Pop Century after the parks were closed.. and on one trip back a lady bus driver said that around 70 bus drivers just quit last pay period.

She said that Disney switched to some new schedule thing where they are forcing 10 hour days and 6 days a week.. so about 20 hours overtime per week forced. Another mentioned something about it too. A lot of these drivers are older and only want 40-50 hours per week.. 60 hour work weeks with only 1 day off is rough. The union must stink.

Anyway, one night going from pop century was really bad.. i think it was friday.. and I saw something really odd. An E-Z bus (i think it said E-Z.. not sure) picked up people from the Magic Kingdom line at the Pop Century to take them to the Magic Kingdom. This wasn't a Disney Bus nor did it have a Disney Driver in it. It was a huge magical express sized bus that just loaded everyone onto it and drove them to Magic Kingdom. Had disney used non didney busses/drivers before to take people to the parks? It looked really wierd.

Sounds like it could have simply been a disgruntled employee talking crap.

rcapolete

i came home from the pop century this weekend, i noticed the same thing. there was a long wait time for buses. I also noticed this was true with other reosrt (can tell by the long lines). there may be some truth to the drivers quitting. I noticed alot of Non-Disney buses at the end of the night at EPCOT

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Disney is short staffed, plain and simple... and there are a lot of other employers in central florida that are appearing more attractive than the mouse right now.

Disney needs major changes if it wishes to remain an attractive employer... and increasing the number of CP's is not the solution.

tomm4004

I recall a bus ride from MK to BW after extra magic hours Apr 2005. The bus driver told us that there were not enough drivers and described how much overtime she'd had to put in. Then she "jokingly" said that she needed us to help keep her awake. This shocked me, the insinuation that she might fall asleep, crash, and kill us all. Totally unprofessional. This trip (Mar 2006) I took no night time bus rides.

ssidiouss@mac.c said:

If you don't like having to ride the buses, why not stay at a monorail resort?

imagineersrock

mkt said:
Disney is short staffed, plain and simple... and there are a lot of other employers in central florida that are appearing more attractive than the mouse right now.

Disney needs major changes if it wishes to remain an attractive employer... and increasing the number of CP's is not the solution.
Amen.

daguru

Aprilnjosh said:

I'm sure you will be waiting a while for them to complete the monorail expansion to MGM and Downtown...

:p

BTW, just joking...

daguru said:
I'm sure you will be waiting a while for them to complete the monorail expansion to MGM and Downtown...

:p

BTW, just joking...

We dont ride the buses that much. We usually take taxis from the Grand Floridian to wherever we wish to go. It's much quicker.

SewIn2Disney

Aprilnjosh said:
I for one, would rather put the extra money saved by staying at a value resort towards a longer stay or buy more stuff. Not all of us can afford the luxury of staying at a monorail resort.
I think your comment was a little uncalled for.

SewIn2Disney said:
I for one, would rather put the extra money saved by staying at a value resort towards a longer stay or buy more stuff. Not all of us can afford the luxury of staying at a monorail resort.
I think your comment was a little uncalled for.

You can do as you wish. Just don't complain about service you're receiving. You get what you pay for.

SeiraB17

I think I was on that bus with you! On Friday at the studios we were picked up in a magical express type of bus with no markings on the sides and a non disney driver. I didn't mind, still got the job done. The buses this week have been fine, we have never had to wait more than ten min. except after park closing which is understandable because everyone in their brother is trying to get out!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Aprilnjosh said:
You pay for it, and I will :p

This is sounding similar to the much larger staffing issue at DLC - as MKT said, TWDC as a whole need to change it`s attitude to frontline CMs or the parks themselves in Orlando may be next.

I bet the suits at Team Disney on BVD are sweating over the SOPs already! :lol:

fers31

And this is why I've rented a car every trip. Definitely worth the ~$100. Well, that really isn't the reason. I like hopping from park to park and going to other places that the buses don't go.

Aprilnjosh said:

I agree that your comment was a little bit rude...why do you think Disney had tons of resorts that aren't on the monorail? Because most people can't afford them. You're correct, you do get what you pay for. But if you had to wait half an hour for the monorail, I think you'd be complaining as well. Please try to see other's points of view. :)

Disney is short staffed in Bus drivers. I am a Bus Driver Canidate waiting to start work once casting processes all my paper work. I cant wait to start working for WDW.

amykissangel said:
I agree that your comment was a little bit rude...why do you think Disney had tons of resorts that aren't on the monorail? Because most people can't afford them. You're correct, you do get what you pay for. But if you had to wait half an hour for the monorail, I think you'd be complaining as well. Please try to see other's points of view. :)

Don't think I would. Thanks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom