50th Anniversary Cinderella Castle Paint Project

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Original Poster
this one is about 9 days old, but I haven't seen it elsewhere, so enjoy:

From the Cast Portal:

In preparation for the upcoming 50th Anniversary and Celebration of Disney Theme Parks, the Magic Kingdom Park will be painting the lower half of Cinderella Castle. As we all know, Cinderella Castle is a major focal point for Guests and Cast, so it will be important for Cinderella Castle to look its best. The painting project will begin Monday, June 14th with the following schedule of events:
June 13 Drain Cinderella Castle moat 12-18 inches in order to install the scaffolding.
June 14 - 20 Scaffolding installation will take place when the Park is closed. Scaffolding will be installed with regular scrim during installation, but will have castle block printed scrim for duration of project.
June 25 Refill Cinderella Castle moat.
June 21 - August 22 All block work on the lower half of Cinderella Castle will be painted (lower turrets down to water line). Most of the work will be done while the Park is closed, with minimal work during Park operating hours (behind the scrim).
August 22 - 28 Remove Scaffolding.
August 29 Cinderella Castle Looks Great!

Maria

I thought it was going to have a special decoration, like when it looked like a cake.
I was going to suggest to paint it like the sky... would be fun to watch the amazed faces of people who couldn´t find it at the end of Main Street... :D

Timekeeper

Abara Cadavara

Maria said:
I was going to suggest to paint it like the sky... would be fun to watch the amazed faces of people who couldn´t find it at the end of Main Street... :D

Seigfried and Roy made the castle "vanish" and then re-appear on TV about a decade ago. The illusion was performed at night and looked pretty neat because there was an "empty space" where the castle was supposed to be.

Good times.

Timekeeper

attisb

Maria said:
I thought it was going to have a special decoration, like when it looked like a cake.
Something that would be cooler is to use paint that only shows when hit with a blacklight. They could hide something in the castle itself and during Wishes reveal it by turning off the normal castle lights and turning on blacklights.

DisneyFan 2000

I have to make a positive coment on this! Finally Disney is doing things the right way! Night time refurbs is the way to go! :sohappy: I'm glad they're trying not to ruin guest experience!

wannab@dis

Punkss said:
When is it being painted this year (04) or next year (05)?

Good question... if it's this year, then maybe someone has pictures since it should have started. I would assume since it's on the cast portal, that it would be this year.

I would like to see how well they hide the scaffolding.

s25843

Atleast they are keeping up with it,,, I think it was last pained like 2 years ago,, not a bad upkeep rate

stitchlvr

If they did start the scaffolding on the 14th of june, when we were there on the 16th I didn't notice anything at all. So either it hadn't started yet or was very un-noticable :lol:

ToTBellHop

Mouseplanet reports that Cinderella Castle will be receiving a golden gilding, like Sleeping Beauty Castle, for Disney's Golden Celebration. Sounds like we have our host park.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
General Grizz said:
This sounds pretty cool.

Spaceship Earth should be painted gold. . . :lookaroun

:lol: Yes... and change the name to "Spaceship BLING" Sponsored by Zales Jewlers. :lol: :lookaroun

DMC-12 said:
:lol: Yes... and change the name to "Spaceship BLING" Sponsored by Zales Jewlers. :lol: :lookaroun

LOL

I'm glad it'll be done by the time I get there :D

Am I the only one who doesn't want them to touch the Castle? I remember back when they made it into a cake I thought that was a bad move. Just think of the people who maybe get to come to Disney World once in a lifetime. They have to save literally for years for the trip! When they finally get there the famous Castle that they see in soooo many things has been replaced... By a big pink thing! Yes it was cool for people like me that go every year. Something different from the norm, but I would hate to be one of those people who missed out on seeing the Castle in all of it's glory and will never get another chance. Just my 2 cents.

wannab@dis

626 said:
Yes it was cool for people like me that go every year.

I was there while the castle was decorated as the infamous cake... I thought it was "cool" for about 5 minutes -- lot of work and had to be tough to pull off, but then I was ready for the good 'ol castle to be back. :hurl:

I thought only DL was getting a "new design" for the castle for the celebration. Anyone know for sure?

MichRX7

Premium Member
I took my girlfriend and her two kids (now my wife and stepkids) for their first trip to WDW when the castle was done up like a cake. At first they were slightly letdown, but then thought what a great experience that no one will get to experience again.

Of course, now they return yearly for my "at least" annual migration so they get to see plenty of the castle in it's "normal" form.

ToTBellHop

Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Casle will feature a lot of pink (like it is now) with blue and gold turrets. The castle will have a bunch of decorates and sparkling gems as well as 5 gold crowns on the five highest turrets for the 5 decades of the Disneyland Resort.

Cinderella Castle is getting a gold treatment on its lower half now, and we will probably see gold spead all over the castle in the Spring as we get closer to the 18 month Golden Celebration.

Lennyg512

wannab@dis said:
Good question... if it's this year, then maybe someone has pictures since it should have started. I would assume since it's on the cast portal, that it would be this year.

I would like to see how well they hide the scaffolding.

Never "assume" anything.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom