50's Prime Time Cafe

kangaand2roos

Original Poster
Thinking of giving The 50's Cafe a whirl in Sept. We've never tried it before but seems to get alot of mixed reviews. Is it worth giving it a try? Would you recommend lunch or dinner?

SoupBone

We went a few years ago, and it was ok. I would prefer to go to Sci Fi given the choice. It is a buffet though so I have to give it that.

DizMagic

We went a few years ago, and it was ok. I would prefer to go to Sci Fi given the choice. It is a buffet though so I have to give it that.

This is incorrect. It's not a buffet. The restaurant next to it (hollywood and vine is the buffet). The reason the reviews for 50's are mixed are because it entirely depends on what you expect from a disney meal and also on the server you have. In general the food at 50's is fine. Nothing to rave about imo but also not terrible. Popular entrees are pot roast and fried chicken. If the idea of being "nagged" by your waiter or called out in front of the other tables for not eating your veges makes you uncomfortable you will not enjoy your time here. If you like to get into the story and have a server who is really good at playing the part you will have a good time. It's a place to have fun, joke around, and play along. It entirely depends on what kind of experience you enjoy. If you decide to go I would probably go for lunch just because it is going to be a better value.

GeoDonJac34

I have to say we were all unimpressed by the place. When first looking at the menu, I was eager to go. Everything sounded good. I had the pot roast, which was just okay. DS11 had the meatloaf, and he only manged one bite. I finished it for him so the waitress didn't give him a hard time. I must admit I haven't had a meal at HS, so far, that I have really enjoyed.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Yeah, Prime Time is not a buffet.

The food is fine, but you're really paying for the experience there. If you get a good server, and play along, it can be great fun. However, if you're not into that and just want a good meal, there are far, far better places to eat.

lilclerk

I love the pot roast there, but we mostly go for the atmosphere. My friend and I get really into the show and play along with the staff there, so we always have a blast.
That said, if you're not going to play along or if you're going to be embarrassed by getting called out on something silly, I wouldn't go. That's the fun of the restaurant.

SoupBone

Apologies. I was definitely thinking about Hollywood and Vine. We've only eaten once at the 50's and I don't remember it all that well.

I am one of the ones with mixed reviews. I love their pot roast, so I go for the food and atmosphere as well, but I have had different experiences each time. I have had 10's and 3's. When I started getting consistent 3's I quit going. It is great decor. You should check it out at least once. It does also depend on your server to get the "full" experience.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yes, you have a chance at not having the best experience at 50's PT, but I would also add it is one of those restaurants everyone should try at least once. The theming is terrific, and I've yet to have a bad meal there. As for which meal to have, we've only been there for dinner, so I can't say anything about lunch.

danpam1024

Idk why it gets bad reviews!? It is one of our favs...maybe because I don't cook that way at home (heavy meals). And we adore the atmosphere! Maybe just try it for lunch or grab a drink and app at the bar...that way if you dont like it, you haven't "wasted" a meal.:animwink:

BrerPete

Eaten there several times, most recently this summer. Same as everyone else, it's hit or miss depending on the server. It's been miss the last few times. However, the last time our food came out in, no lie, 5 minutes after ordering. I'm guessing since it is a limited lunch menu, they just keeping making the most popular items (fried chicken and pot roast) so they are ready to go. In that respect it was a like a "diner," in and out.

Dad 2 M & M

I would prefer Sci Fi as well...but only at lunch. Sci Fi's dinner menu does not have the burger and it is a much better entrée than the steak (steak replaces the burger on the dinner menu). Both 50's and Sci Fi have decent food (certainly not great) but I like the theme better at Sci.

mickeysshoes

We like the food much better at 50's Prime Time over Sci-Fi. 50's is a bright loud place and Sci-Fi is very dark and you cant see what your eating. I would say if you have to tried its worth trying both..but i would suggust 50's over Sci-Fi

epcotWSC

Place is great, but the server you get plays a big part. I've noticed also that the male servers tend to be more playful and fun than the female ones. As long as you don't mind getting made fun of, then it's a great time. Food is average, nothing amazing. I mean just look at the menu and you know what to expect. Glad they give you a choice of veggies now instead of that nasty stuff they used to give you.

BTW, I always go for lunch.

Club Cooloholic

We went, and I found the place to be a bit dirty. Our server was great and all, but the food was nothing special, and I think the theming could have been better, maybe it was where we were sitting, but I think Scifi has a better look overall by far.

Tinkerbell 8

We try to go every trip, and we were just there Thursday the 13th and it was probably our best time. Our server was great, he played the character very very well. I had the meatloaf as usual, with the mashed potatoes and green beans, it was a very large serving and yes i finished it so i wouldnt get yelled at by "mom". One of the musts is the peanut butter and jelly milkshake, def. my favorite milkshake in all of WDW. I also enjoy how they show all the old time shows on the tvs during your meal, and i love the dessert menu! Hope this helps!

Ro Z

Really like the food. Both the sandwiches, which are huge and the dinners. BUT.....being all adults we eat at the bar (if there is room). Not a fan of the 'mom' thing! If you are game to play along I think you should try it!

Tater48

Ate there last night (Thursday) and it was really good. Our server, Cousin Tim, really played the part well. He had a mother and son(about 10) standing in the corner in "time out" for not eating their vegetables, and one of the parties at the table next to us got a green been Sundae, because they didn't eat all of their green beans. Really had our section of the restaurant rolling. Best server we have had to date.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom