$500 million for Cosmic Rewind,…why?

Twirlnhurl

The gravity building is an absolutely huge volume. The universe of Energy building was taken down to the frame, and that was a huge building too. The ride system is a prototype. The rollercoaster is extremely long (over a mile of track--double the length of Thunder Mountain). The pre shows have some absolutely massive effects (mechanically speaking)...

If Guardians was $500 million (2022 dollars) and Everest was $165 million (2022 dollars--a 65% increase from 2006 prices), I can see how you can get there based on how much bigger Guardians is than Everest.

Throw in covid supply chain issues, labor issues, and the fact that demolition was only included in the scope for Guardians, I don't think it implies that big a difference from WDI costs in the early aughts.

TalkToEthan

Original Poster
The pre shows have some absolutely massive effects (mechanically speaking)...

There are 3 holding tanks(rooms)

1)staging room where CM’s count and fill the room. This room has nothing whatsoever in it.

2)video room where we meet Nova Prime and Centurion dude who calls us people of Epcot. No effects, none. Screen only.

3) teleportation room. This room has 2 mechanical effects that I remember: darkness where walls/panels are lifted and then the cosmic generator vanishes. The rest is screens.

I’m coming up with one substantial physical effect: the wall/panel lift.
the vanishing cosmic generator effect looks identical to the vanishing Shirikiutundu idol at Disney Sea Hightower Hotel. Shirikiutundu is close to 20 years old…meaning technology was already in place

StarWarsGirl

A huge chunk of those costs are likely going to be man-hours. Once they got the project started, employees would charge time to the project. I'd venture they had a lot of well-compensated employees working on this project. Instead of their salaries going to a general overhead, it would get charged to the project. Obviously, Disney would pay their salaries regardless, but it reflects project costs. So you've got Imagineers, IT, legal, etc working on this project. In addition to materials, contractor costs, patent costs...it adds up.

StarWarsGirl

I dunno why it cost so much but it seems like a lot of people love it so much so that in another thread titled what's the best ride you've ever been on, it get brought up more than any other.
I never thought I would pay to go on a ride.

Then that one came out. I have paid to go on it even when I've gotten in the VQ because I love that thing so much. I haven't been to the international Disney theme parks, but out of the domestic theme parks, I can confidently say it's the best current attraction on either coast. And that's saying a lot because I really love DL's POTC.

yensidtlaw1969

People today have the attention span of a gnat.
People say this, but it doesn't explain how people sit through whole 12 hour seasons of TV when shows drop on streaming.

Attention spans are very likely fine - possibly longer, even, given how people marathon so many different things - but there's now more extreme competition for people's attention than ever before. People aren't willing to spend time on something under-interesting when there are so many things easily accessible that they find genuinely worth their time.

Twirlnhurl

There are 3 holding tanks(rooms)

1)staging room where CM’s count and fill the room. This room has nothing whatsoever in it.

2)video room where we meet Nova Prime and Centurion dude who calls us people of Epcot. No effects, none. Screen only.

3) teleportation room. This room has 2 mechanical effects that I remember: darkness where walls/panels are lifted and then the cosmic generator vanishes. The rest is screens.

I’m coming up with one substantial physical effect: the wall/panel lift.
the vanishing cosmic generator effect looks identical to the vanishing Shirikiutundu idol at Disney Sea Hightower Hotel. Shirikiutundu is close to 20 years old…meaning technology was already in place
I was referring to those two effects in the final pre-show, yes. Both effects are old technology (wall lift effect has been in Poseidon's Fury since 1999, and the vanishing effect has been in Tower of Terror since the mid aughts. But that doesn't make them inexpensive.

Other than the specific ride vehicles and their controls, nothing in Cosmic Rewind is new. But the sheer volume of the attraction is massive. Anything at that scale would be big, and to my mind, it is at a similar unit cost to WDI attractions of the last 20 years, once you factor inflation.

Ayla

People say this, but it doesn't explain how people sit through whole 12 hour seasons of TV when shows drop on streaming.

Attention spans are very likely fine - possibly longer, even, given how people marathon so many different things - but there's now more extreme competition for people's attention than ever before. People aren't willing to spend time on something under-interesting when there are so many things easily accessible that they find genuinely worth their time.
Ask any teacher how attention spans have changed. The amount of people (adults!!) who are unable to focus on one thing for more than a couple minutes is astounding.

plutofan15

Started to read your post but it was too long. Could you please condense it into a single sentence? Thanks.;)

Robbiem

Ain't that the truth? When is the last time Disney actually made a good long ride ?
When was the last time they built a new major ride stateside which wasn’t a thrill ride or had a height restriction? Runaway Railway maybe but that replaced GMR

It always appears odd to me that Disney has pivoted to being a young family place (from the vacation kingdom of the world) at least in advertising here in UK but keep building thril rides with height restrictions, they should be building more rides like they have in fantasy springs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom