$500 million for Cosmic Rewind,…why?

Cmdr_Crimson

I enjoyed the 15 minute nap in that spot.
A dream within Ellen's Dream.That's some Inception thing going on...
tumblr_n40klhLFw91smcbm7o1_400.gif

Tha Realest

It'd make for an interesting read if the details ever came to light, I'm sure. What I find most interesting however is that it still feels slapped together. Fun, sure but there's so many actual physical elements that seem incomplete or scaled back and value engineered. Surely we weren't supposed to orbit around a nothingburger planet (moon?) and that return to station scene, oof! sparse city. Doesn't help that even the concept art showed more. It's an honest headscratcher.

Were the licensing rights for the songs 100 mil each?
It would seem the continued licensing would go towards operational costs, not up front build costs

MK-fan

When was the last time they built a new major ride stateside which wasn’t a thrill ride or had a height restriction? Runaway Railway maybe but that replaced GMR

It always appears odd to me that Disney has pivoted to being a young family place (from the vacation kingdom of the world) at least in advertising here in UK but keep building thril rides with height restrictions, they should be building more rides like they have in fantasy springs
I would have to say Navi River Journey and before that, Mystic Manor. What I would give for Mystic Major to come stateside.

erasure fan1

The presumed millions paid to 5 of them(I’m guessing 2 are fake voices Groot and Rocket ??) is terrible. That money should have gone to animated figures with knock off computer voices.
Yea I'm sure it wasn't that much. Especially since according to Gunn, it was filmed during guardians 3. So I'm betting there was a sizable discount over calling them in just for the ride.
Ain't that the truth? When is the last time Disney actually made a good long ride ?
I get what you're saying. But I have to give props to rise of the resistance. I consider the ride to start when you load the shuttle. That said, short rides have unfortunately been the norm for too long.

Vclguy90

Yea I'm sure it wasn't that much. Especially since according to Gunn, it was filmed during guardians 3. So I'm betting there was a sizable discount over calling them in just for the ride.

I get what you're saying. But I have to give props to rise of the resistance. I consider the ride to start when you load the shuttle. That said, short rides have unfortunately been the norm for too long.
Rise of the resistance is just a regular 4 minute ride with an elaborate preshow and queue

TalkToEthan

Original Poster
Rise of the resistance is just a regular 4 minute ride with an elaborate preshow and queue

Nothing created has come close to how comprehensive and elaborate Rise is—-a complete saturation of the story. From the moment we enter the part of queue where the cave starts to exiting the ride vehicles we are treated to 100% physically themed story

(The only breach of Rise story is the necessary “EXIT” signs found in queue.)

You could look up at every ceiling, look down, or behind you—-every cubic square foot of Rise is themed.

Dismissing it as ‘just a regular 4 minute ride’ isn’t right and fair.

Rise certainly isn’t my favorite attraction, far from it, but I appreciate the effort put into it.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

And? It's an 18min experience that is immersive and as impressive as anything they've ever done. I will take this quality everyday over something like cosmic rewind, tron, 7dmt, frozen... Cosmic rewind was a fun coaster, but it's no where on the same level as rise. I dog on Disney for a lot of their parks output over the past 10yrs or so. But you have to give them credit when you get an attraction as well done as rise. Just the shuttle portion and and jail break preshow sections alone would be a better ride than Navi river.

TrainsOfDisney

The issue I have with rise is the best parts are before the actual ride - the ride is almost a let down after the build up has some really unique wow factors.

Cosmic Rewind is a complete waste of money in my opinion - but many people love it.

I’m not exactly sure if this would have been possible but they should have created the line so it goes through the old pre show and Dino section and then you board the attraction after the fact. They could have played both Ellen, and the original energy pre-shows as you waited with the occasional interrupt “transmission” from the guardians.

That would have saved them money on the pre show and made Epcot fans happy.

TalkToEthan

Original Poster
The issue I have with rise is the best parts are before the actual ride - the ride is almost a let down after the build up has some really unique wow factors.

I assume “actual ride” is the 8 person transports used to transfer prisoners, right?(I ask because I know I’m not the only one who declares the ride part of the attraction actually starts when say 25 of us board the motion simulated ship captained by rebel Mon calamari)

May I ask which ones you found to be wow factors?

TrainsOfDisney

May I ask which ones you found to be wow factors?
The 1st pre-show with the hologram and BB-8 is visually more perfect than anything on the ride - exiting to the outdoors with life-size crafts visible was a wow moment for me - and then exiting the transport to see all the storm troopers with a complete change in atmosphere (cold and sterile) is a wow along with the “escape” from the cell.

I don’t think the ride is bad - but I think it’s a partial let down after the pre-shows. I can’t think of one truly wow moment on the ride although the elevator up is a really cool moment I wasn’t expecting.

bwr827

The 1st pre-show with the hologram and BB-8 is visually more perfect than anything on the ride - exiting to the outdoors with life-size crafts visible was a wow moment for me - and then exiting the transport to see all the storm troopers with a complete change in atmosphere (cold and sterile) is a wow along with the “escape” from the cell.

I don’t think the ride is bad - but I think it’s a partial let down after the pre-shows. I can’t think of one truly wow moment on the ride although the elevator up is a really cool moment I wasn’t expecting.
Speed creating intensity and the pace of action. The moment when you’re suddenly face to face with AT-AT. The lightsaber in the elevator. Force pull on the vehicle. The climax of the drop.

TrainsOfDisney

Force pull on the vehicle.
That is a wow moment and very good -my issue with that scene is the entire environment looks fake and plastic including the AA itself - much of the actual ride feels this way in my opinion.

I’m being a big picky I know but but the finale of Indiana jones for example is a true wow moment that looks and feels completely real.

Andrew25

Rise is fine, but the ending is underwhelming scenic-wise. The finale drop is great, but there should have been one last "wow" scene after it.

MK-fan

Supposedly ROTR’s supposed estimated cost was $225 million or more to build.
Indiana Jones Adventure’s estimated cost was $100 million, with inflation $172 million in 2019.

Building rides is just more expensive these days because out of those two, Indiana Jones Adventure looks way more expensive.

BTW, what is the supposed estimated cost of Pixar Pier. I want to compare it with New Fantasyland estimated 45 million with inflation 113 million in 2018

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom