$500 million for Cosmic Rewind,…why?

TalkToEthan

Original Poster
What’s the deal with Guardians price tag of 1/2 billion? Because the ride looks like $200 million tops. What they do, pay Gamorah and Drex 50 million each for some screen time?

WaltWiz1901

Definitely has to do with costs spiraling out of control within the company in general. This is the same company and the same generation which funded $200+ million (more than double the cost of Expedition Everest) for an overlay of Paradise Pier and $150m (still more than Everest) for what ultimately comes down to a Fantasyland dark ride with an ill-suited Ommimover system only slightly punched up with a few genuine Audio-Animatronics

TalkToEthan

Original Poster
Rise of Resistance was built in the same general time frame, likely some overlap right? It is the grandest, most elaborate ride ever created anywhere and it was likely $350 to 450 million.
Based on the product Rise is 5x the scope and scale of Rewind——complete with like 10 AA’s and room after room of special effects and show pieces as well as being an extremely lengthy attraction.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I have a couple of possible explanations:

1. Imagineering LOVES their research trips... the ride itself only cost 150 million to make, the other 350 million came from multiple research trips into (actual) space
  2. The ride itself is actually really modestly priced, the bulk of the cost comes from the new executive wash room that was built into the show building with gold plated toilets and jewel encrusted faucets
  3. To reduce the sound levels within the ride building, the hollow ride track and supports were filled with the feathers of 10,000 endangered California condors (working with the kind of folks who can get you that many illegal feathers doesn't come cheap!)

TalkToEthan

Original Poster
Then paying the actors for their work probably wasn’t cheap.

The presumed millions paid to 5 of them(I’m guessing 2 are fake voices Groot and Rocket ??) is terrible. That money should have gone to animated figures with knock off computer voices.

BrianLo

And before anyone says "nobody can sit through a 45 minute ride", the Tram Tour at Universal Studios Hollywood is still going strong after 60 years.

But that's also like five rides in one and an actual tour grafted on top. I don't think guests struggle with Kilimanjaro safaris either (albeit shorter). 45 minutes would also be tolerated for in park shows at the top end too.

There has to be some value for the time spent though. There was a lot more value in the Great Movie Ride at half the ride time.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
It'd make for an interesting read if the details ever came to light, I'm sure. What I find most interesting however is that it still feels slapped together. Fun, sure but there's so many actual physical elements that seem incomplete or scaled back and value engineered. Surely we weren't supposed to orbit around a nothingburger planet (moon?) and that return to station scene, oof! sparse city. Doesn't help that even the concept art showed more. It's an honest headscratcher.

Were the licensing rights for the songs 100 mil each?

TalkToEthan

Original Poster
Companies lump other costs into a greater budget, wouldn't surprise me to see a few other things included from the Epcot overhaul in the $500M.
I’m sure companies do that but since Disney has not disclosed the build costs outsiders are the ones estimating the $500 million.
And outsiders are only factoring what this and only this ride cost from clearing out Universe of Energy to getting Rewind open to guests.

TalkToEthan

Original Poster
Were the licensing rights for the songs 100 mil each?

yes, songs can cost and there are perhaps 15:
6 on the ride and 8 to 10 that cycle through as we exit making our way up the stairs and then back down to ground level.

Which makes me wonder about Universal’s Rip Ride Rocket with 60 songs.

bwr827

yes, songs can cost and there are perhaps 15:
6 on the ride and 8 to 10 that cycle through as we exit making our way up the stairs and then back down to ground level.

Which makes me wonder about Universal’s Rip Ride Rocket with 60 songs.
I assume both Disney and Universal own some music catalogs. Maybe not every song but perhaps enough, and/or were able to make some kind of trade (I know nothing about this but I did once stay in a Holiday Inn Express).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom