50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

TiggerDad

I swear I feel that AK CMs are always the rudest and surliest. At first I thought "eh maybe they're having a bad day" but it's become consistent. Eh maybe I have one of those faces that you just want to punch so they're rude to me instead of punching me ;)
If you look like your avatar, maybe they're just Han Solo fans who haven't gotten over Episode VII.

FigmentForver96

Like Walt,I don't pay attention to the critics
Well large masses of the population would also disagree with you but I doubt that inspires you much. We get it, hand drawn animation is the only type you like, but unfortunately it's not going back so maybe you should avoid even discussing it sense complaining about it will bring nothing to the conversation.

HMF

Well large masses of the population would also disagree with you but I doubt that inspires you much. We get it, hand drawn animation is the only type you like, but unfortunately it's not going back so maybe you should avoid even discussing it sense complaining about it will bring nothing to the conversation.
I like CG Animation when it's done by Pixar. I want WDAS to stick to 2D. There is room for both.

Goob

I watched Finding Dory and Zootopia for the first time last night, back to back. If I hadn't known, I wouldn't have been able to tell you which one was Pixar and which one was WDAS. I am certainly no authority to animation, as I hardly see all the newest Disney films. Is it really that obvious to people that one is better than the other? I would honestly love to know what makes WDAS inferior in people's eyes.

HMF

I watched Finding Dory and Zootopia for the first time last night, back to back. If I hadn't known, I wouldn't have been able to tell you which one was Pixar and which one was WDAS. I am certainly no authority to animation, as I hardly see all the newest Disney films. Is it really that obvious to people that one is better than the other? I would honestly love to know what makes WDAS inferior in people's eyes.
WDAS built it's legacy on traditional animation. To see it simply becoming Pixar South is dis-heartening to many longtime fans like myself.

Rteetz

WDAS built it's legacy on traditional animation. To see it simply becoming Pixar South is dis-heartening to many longtime fans like myself.
I don't know why I'm repsponding to this nonsense but time change, technology changes, etc. That's like saying nothing should ever improve with technology. We should still have computers the size of a room, rotary phones, and big box tube TVs. Most animators say computer animation is a good thing. Hand drawn still has its place but computer animation is what today's animation is.

HMF

I don't know why I'm repsponding to this nonsense but time change, technology changes, etc. That's like saying nothing should ever improve with technology. We should still have computers the size of a room, rotary phones, and big box tube TVs. Most animators say computer animation is a good thing. Hand drawn still has its place but computer animation is what today's animation is.
OK, what if Hollywood stopped making Live action films altogether and only used CGI. To me that is basically what it feels like happened to Hand-drawn Animation. Killing one medium for another is sad if there is room in the world for both.

DisneyFan 2000

Nowadays nothing much. WDFA has stepped up big time since 2009.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
OK, what if Hollywood stopped making Live action films altogether and only used CGI. To me that is basically what it feels like happened to Hand-drawn Animation. Killing one medium for another is sad if there is room in the world for both.

Movie Studios are not obliged to keep alive outdated formats. They should not be criticized for stopping silent films in favor of 'talkies.' They should not be criticized for stopping black and white films in favor of color (even though some like the artistry of B&W). They should not be criticized for stopping hand-drawn animation for computer assisted animation or CGI.

When the state-of-the-art transitions from one medium to another, you'll always have nostalgiacs crying over what is passing away. Their plaint is somewhat justified that new mediums start off a little choppy: bad sound, bad color, uncanny valleys. But once the new medium is mature, there really isn't any going back to the old medium except for a few exceptions (e.g., The Artist).

The age of hand-drawn feature-film mass-market animated cinema has pretty much come to an end. It's never coming back except for the few exceptions to the rule. If you don't move on, you'll be carrying this disappointment with you for the rest of your life.

Princess Leia

Movie Studios are not obliged to keep alive outdated formats. They should not be criticized for stopping silent films in favor of 'talkies.' They should not be criticized for stopping black and white films in favor of color (even though some like the artistry of B&W). They should not be criticized for stopping hand-drawn animation for computer assisted animation or CGI.

When the state-of-the-art transitions from one medium to another, you'll always have nostalgiacs crying over what is passing away. Their plaint is somewhat justified that new mediums start off a little choppy: bad sound, bad color, uncanny valleys. But once the new medium is mature, there really isn't any going back to the old medium except for a few exceptions (e.g., The Artist).

The age of hand-drawn feature-film mass-market animated cinema has pretty much come to an end. It's never coming back except for the few exceptions to the rule. If you don't move on, you'll be carrying this disappointment with you for the rest of your life.
Personally, I think the 'Paperman' style should be used way more than for a short.

Also, it checks all of the boxes that you mentioned, doesn't it? Black & white, silent, hand-drawn (kind of; it's got the traditional animated look at least). ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Personally, I think the 'Paperman' style should be used way more than for a short.

Also, it checks all of the boxes that you mentioned, doesn't it? Black & white, silent, hand-drawn (kind of; it's got the traditional animated look at least). ;)

For a short, sure. But it misses the box on my main point: feature-film. :p

Also, Paperman was CG assisted. :p:p

WDWFigment

Yeah, I get nothing but confused when attempting the 'Bricker Technique' (that sounds like a naughty position, likely involving Stella Lou plush!) ... and while I am an airline nut and love flying, when I am starting a vacation (or ending one) the last thing I want is three stops and 9-hour layovers and the like.

That's not how it works. Since these are major international hub airports we're talking about, they're almost always direct flights. (Now, from Florida they wouldn't be, but I'm guessing most of your int'l flights aren't).

This is one of those topics that is really daunting to people at first, but once you spend 30 minutes playing around with ITA's multi-stop feature, it's pretty easy to figure it all out. From there, you can manipulate other variables to drop the cost and get exactly what you want. Once you learn the ins and outs of stopovers and open-jaw flights, a world of low(er) cost airfare is opened up.

In fact, with 5 minutes of work (the second search I did), I just found a $634 itinerary to Shanghai and Tokyo out of LAX for next month...
Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 5.33.23 PM.png

Oh, and totally agree about flying foreign carriers. I always do codeshare for the miles, but will try to find a foreign carrier whenever possible (I do try to avoid Air China, but wouldn't rule them out--I'd just rather fly Singapore, JAL, ANA, etc.). Of domestic carriers, I usually fly Delta.

Despite their reputation among snobby business travelers, SWA is probably the best domestic airline out there today now that the legacy carriers are engaged in a race to the bottom.

gmajew

Premium Member
That's not how it works. Since these are major international hub airports we're talking about, they're almost always direct flights. (Now, from Florida they wouldn't be, but I'm guessing most of your int'l flights aren't).

This is one of those topics that is really daunting to people at first, but once you spend 30 minutes playing around with ITA's multi-stop feature, it's pretty easy to figure it all out. From there, you can manipulate other variables to drop the cost and get exactly what you want. Once you learn the ins and outs of stopovers and open-jaw flights, a world of low(er) cost airfare is opened up.

In fact, with 5 minutes of work (the second search I did), I just found a $634 itinerary to Shanghai and Tokyo out of LAX for next month... View attachment 197950

Oh, and totally agree about flying foreign carriers. I always do codeshare for the miles, but will try to find a foreign carrier whenever possible (I do try to avoid Air China, but wouldn't rule them out--I'd just rather fly Singapore, JAL, ANA, etc.). Of domestic carriers, I usually fly Delta.

Despite their reputation among snobby business travelers, SWA is probably the best domestic airline out there today now that the legacy carriers are engaged in a race to the bottom.

Wow that is impressive. Never seen this software before will be using it for travel from now on.

Mike S

In fact, with 5 minutes of work (the second search I did), I just found a $634 itinerary to Shanghai and Tokyo out of LAX for next month... View attachment 197950

*whiney voice*

30 minuuuuuutes...

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!!!

rushtest4echo

Online fare wizards for the win!

We've done MCO>DET>CDG roundtrip via Delta for $380. MCO>LAX>NRT roundtrip via United/Singapore for $480!

Crowning airfare achievement for me:

We circled the earth, doing SFB>KEF (night in Iceland>CPH (2 days in Denmark) >GOT (2 days in Sweden) for $300 via Icelandair, then GOT>DUS (week in Germany) via AirBerlin for $29, then FRA>HKG (3 days in Hong Kong)>NRT(8 days in Japan) via Cathay for $350, then HND>SFO>JFK>MCO to get home via JAL/Jetblue for $250. Literally around the earth in 3 weeks, 6 countries, 20+ cities on 3 continents for under $1000.
All done with google flights and ITA.

All of my friends and fam beg me to find airfares for them with my flight/codeshare voodoo. :)

Bottom line: stuff like ITA will enable you to travel for prices you never thought would be possible, and allows some interesting stopovers too! Charged our traveling life!

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom