50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

RSoxNo1

That would have been the fault of the carrier, not kayak. Kayak is just a booking tool, carriers should then e-mail you about flight changes.
Yeah it was a lousy scenario where neither Air Canada nor Vaya (I think that was the name of Kayak's international arm) wanted to acknowledge it. Just offering a word of warning to the masses.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

The Grand Floridian at least has gotten much better with its lighting on the check-in side. The lights on that side all seem to be working fairly well with only a few being out occasionally. They were converted to LED in the past couple of years, and that certainly helped things (LED has gotten extremely good at mimicking warm amber colored incandescent light in the past couple of years, the newer LED's used on the original GF building look a lot better than the ones on the Villas). Currently on the lagoon side however, only Narcoossees has functioning lights (also converted to LED recently).

There are still a lot of lights out on Grand Floridian's lagoon side. When I visited in 2010 a large chunk of the popcorn lights were already either broken or switched off, most seem to just be off entirely currently. Does anyone have any older (pre-2010, or the 90s would be even better) of GF at night on the lagoon side? It has been decades since I've seen this resort with all the lighting functioning properly.

The Epcot Resorts area also uses similar popcorn lighting on its buildings to GF, and it has been looking better recently as well. Again I haven't seen it fully functional in decades and don't know if all the lighting is functioning properly again, but it's better than it has been.

Main Street itself has also looked better lightbulb-wise lately too. They haven't converted most of these to LED yet (Crystal Palace is the only part that uses LEDs), but they have gotten better at keeping this area properly maintained. There were also recently some lighting out on the Magic Kingdom monorail station, but those have either been addressed or are currently being worked on now (went the other day and there's some scaffolding with what looks like electrical work being done on the light fixtures).

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Having now seen in person how much DLP has improved since 2013 I think there's no reason why WDW can't (or should) have a major turnaround by the time of the 50th anniversary. It really doesn't take that much to make sure things are painted and cleaned or that lighting works properly etc, but when they do, it makes an enormous difference in how enjoyable the attractions and parks are. It may be an inconvenience to have things closed for one trip, but it's worth it to have them looking better for the next time.

cheezbat

Is it bad that I'm more excited for all these refurbs at MK than TSL? If all of the classic dark rides and maybe the ugly new facade in fantasyland get work that would be awesome. It would be really great to get an actual expansion/big new e ticket for the 50th though. Also at mk yesterday and noticed the fog/mist on POTC wasn't working and the blue bird in the last scene of SM was talking without moving its beak.
Sadly blue bird hasn't worked for MONTHS. I've noticed him static since at least Christmas. I don't know why fixing him hasn't happened.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Since this ends up a catch all, while at the World this week, I had to have a good chuckle over the poor castmembers who are forced to work the theater shows and have to repeat ad nauseum to move down. I noticed so many guests just simply sit there and ignore them. I have mixed feelings on this. I get why they say what they do and that they have to, but at the same time, it's mass chaos when a theater is loaded. Just let the guests park their butts where they want. No one is going to be denied a seat if someone parks themselves in the middle. So what if you have to move around someone? Why not just let the guest be happy and sit where they want. It would save a lot of stress on everyone involved.

I noticed pretty good cast members this visit, but one blonde was pretty rude to me at Festival of the Lion King. She was bringing in a few guests to where I was seated, and it wasn't full (several benches were empty-ish, but slowly being filled by stragglers). I was nice and said I was simply sitting on the end because how was I to know there were more guests coming, the show started and the doors were closed. I didn't move quite yet and said I would when I saw them, it wasn't a big deal, but man, she sure thought it was. I just had to laugh. My Animal Kingdom day was just such an off day ... but I promise you I wasn't refusing to move, I'm not at all like that, but I did see guests at Rivers of Light flat out refuse to move down. I mean, you don't have to be rude to the cast member, it's their job. But at the same time, why can't guests just go around each other and sit where they want to? (I know "safety" and all that, but what about when a guest exits a theater and steps all over you; that's just fine)
I swear I feel that AK CMs are always the rudest and surliest. At first I thought "eh maybe they're having a bad day" but it's become consistent. Eh maybe I have one of those faces that you just want to punch so they're rude to me instead of punching me ;)

Kman101

I swear I feel that AK CMs are always the rudest and surliest. At first I thought "eh maybe they're having a bad day" but it's become consistent. Eh maybe I have one of those faces that you just want to punch so they're rude to me instead of punching me ;)

I noticed even the guests were rude, and I didn't encounter that at Epcot, MK or HS. Something about AK brings out the worst for whatever reason and I don't get it. It's such a beautiful park! People just looked almost miserable, but AK was very crowded the day I was there, the most crowds I had been in all week so far, and while the other parks were very busy and had large wait times it wasn't really the same 'type of crowd' so to speak. It was weird to me. It really threw me off on my day there. I think the heat and the crowds just brought out the worst. And I don't try and knock any castmembers because I've worked in jobs dealing with the public and I get it, they have a hard job, but yeah, I do notice a difference. Not all, there are so many who are great and knowledgeable, but it's interesting you brought that up. (And the surly castmembers, I'm sorry to say, are from the US -- but not all!; the castmembers from other parts of the world are always so pleasant, helpful, nice, etc.)

PizzaPlanet

The mist effect was working on 3/29 for Pirates. But the ride was down just about all day.
I was there the same day! I got on before it broke down, but the standby line took forever.
I've seen it on again and off again. For whatever reason it's one of the most temperamental AAs at the resort.
I don't understand this, since the Mr. Blue Bird earlier in the ride works fine.

Goob

Is there any chance would could get some ride specific merchandise for the 50th? Momento Mori is probably my favorite store in all of WDW. I would absolutely love if we could get a cool store that had ride specific merch. Or just ride merch period.

Edit: is there anywhere on this board that discusses this topic?

Last edited:

asianway

I've gone to GR about a rude CM in the park twice both times at AK. They love their 9-5 routine. I mean...they did...

Kman101

I've gone to GR about a rude CM in the park twice both times at AK. They love their 9-5 routine. I mean...they did...

Ahhh .... that explains a lot. They miss their banker hours.

I have to admit I was very tempted to go to guest relations for the first time about that girl but I didn't.

And I noticed another nasty CM shouting at guests during the exiting process of Festival of the Lion King. That show really needs to re-train their castmembers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom