50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

rushtest4echo

Considering Tokyo's recent 18 month announced closure of it's a small world (it looks like they may even be moving the entire ride, slightly), I would hope that something like that could happen here. Probably wishful thinking, but I'm betting that at least some of Tokyo's upgrades will find their way over to WDW's in time for the 50th.

peter11435

RobbinsDad

While I love DL's look for Fantasyland, MK has gone heavy on a castle setting with the Forest "outside the walls" and I think that's actually a great thematic set up. So, while I'd love to see MK's old Fantasyland buildings updated to get rid of the cheap tent look, I don't think the Bavarian village look of DL works. I'd like to see MK use more of a castle wall look for those buildings. I think something properly done in that vein could look very sharp.
I agree. The Bavarian village look works well for DL primarily because of the smaller castle, IMO. I don't mind the flags and color at MK, just not the tent look. A castle wall with turrets, and maybe a splash of color here and there would work better.

Ag11gani

Considering Tokyo's recent 18 month announced closure of it's a small world (it looks like they may even be moving the entire ride, slightly), I would hope that something like that could happen here. Probably wishful thinking, but I'm betting that at least some of Tokyo's upgrades will find their way over to WDW's in time for the 50th.

They're not moving it.

truecoat

Well, it looks like they already started adding Disney characters in Florida to IASW.

small world.png

RSoxNo1

Photos have surfaced of part of the TDL parking lot fenced off, and a poster on the other Spirit thread showed a site diagram of the building being moved back 50 meters. Its not moving to the Grand Circuit site, but all signs seems to be pointing to a demo/rebuild.
I know plans in Tokyo have changed, but I definitely remember seeing one such plan that I believe was actually announced that would have moved it's a small world.

Even though I'm very vocal in my opinion that it should be relocated to Epcot, I don't see it happening in Florida.

the.dreamfinder

I know plans in Tokyo have changed, but I definitely remember seeing one such plan that I believe was actually announced that would have moved it's a small world.

Even though I'm very vocal in my opinion that it should be relocated to Epcot, I don't see it happening in Florida.
I know there's a strong contingent here arguing for this, but where would you place it in Epcot?

Just curious... and I think there is a correct answer.

Bocabear

I would place it at the lake edge dead center, design the building in such a way that the back side of it incorporates stadium seating facing the lake for the water based shows... The building would create the literal gateway fo the World Showcase. Likewise if cost were no consideration, I would move the Carousel of Progress building to EPCOT as well and create an entire Walt Disney legacy museum...combined with One Man's Dream and a more extensive display of models and displays from Imagineering...
Maybe that in itself could be the replacement for Imagination... A huge museum to Walt Disney and Imagineering including a new ride and of course the Carousel Of Progress worked into the museum portion.

bhg469

This intrigues me. My immediate thought was Tangaroa Terrace, as my guess would be that would have the most marketing weight behind it and it's sitting there empty just waiting for a good refurb, but then I remembered that didn't open until like 1985. My hope would actually be that they'll refresh the Contemporary again, bring back some of that southwest flavor this time around (bring back the glass trees and get rid of that gaudy Fantasia shop!), and then maybe that would involve bringing the Pueblo Room or something back to the concourse. I also dream that they eventually move Chef Mickey's down into either the Cave on the first floor or even the convention space on the second floor (since the convention center is rumored to go away) so it's not annoying the hell out of everyone in the tower all day long.
Speaking of the convention space I was by myself wandering the resort a month ago and really wanted to ask the staff where the Nixon "I am not a crook" speech took place. Then I realized that I was probably the only person in Orlando at the time that thought it would be cool to be in that spot and take a selfie.

Cosmic Commando

I would place it at the lake edge dead center, design the building in such a way that the back side of it incorporates stadium seating facing the lake for the water based shows... The building would create the literal gateway fo the World Showcase. Likewise if cost were no consideration, I would move the Carousel of Progress building to EPCOT as well and create an entire Walt Disney legacy museum...combined with One Man's Dream and a more extensive display of models and displays from Imagineering...
Maybe that in itself could be the replacement for Imagination... A huge museum to Walt Disney and Imagineering including a new ride and of course the Carousel Of Progress worked into the museum portion.
Close, but you forgot the rooftop Illuminations dessert parties.

matt9112

i like the idea but i dont think theirs enough room at your purposed location for IASW? it would surely stick out into water alot? or do we move everything forward towards future world (no gift shop ect) and shorten the walkway per say and bend it around to each side so the ride would essentially sit where currently guest traffic flows.

i do love the idea of a massive purpose built "museum" granted i wouldn't like that word. museums are too often shrines of the past but it should point to a brighter tomorrow. (no punn intended) (be forward leaning)

Bocabear

Museum needn't be a bad word...Look at the Smithsonian.. a museum but so much more, and what better place to have the permanent Walt Disney exhibition but in EPCOT...IASW building might be tight..it would take up te space between the two gift shopssnd then out into the lake possibly unless they shorten the approach...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom