4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

DAR1974

Instead of dogs I can't wait share the Star Wars hotel with these guys

DHtMBK0V0AAUqrg.jpg

Eli_The_Monkey

First time poster, long time reader.

I just heard about this policy. I'm Very Allergic to dogs (and there is no such thing as a truly hypoallergenic dog-- I'm allergic to Bichons). I have an up coming trip, thankfully not to one of the resorts that will now allow dogs. However, I am very worried about how Disney intends to handle dog allergies and the Magical Express.

I've been reseated on planes, gotten off public transportation, etc. because I can't be confined with them like that for any period of time. It's one thing to wait 1-2 minutes for another train or bus, or to get seated the opposite end of a plane (and take LOTSof prophylactic Benedryl) but the Magical Express doesn't come every 2 minutes and is much smaller than a 747.

Has anyone heard anything about how that will be handled?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
First time poster, long time reader.

I just heard about this policy. I'm Very Allergic to dogs (and there is no such thing as a truly hypoallergenic dog-- I'm allergic to Bichons). I have an up coming trip, thankfully not to one of the resorts that will now allow dogs. However, I am very worried about how Disney intends to handle dog allergies and the Magical Express.

I've been reseated on planes, gotten off public transportation, etc. because I can't be confined with them like that for any period of time. It's one thing to wait 1-2 minutes for another train or bus, or to get seated the opposite end of a plane (and take LOTSof prophylactic Benedryl) but the Magical Express doesn't come every 2 minutes and is much smaller than a 747.

Has anyone heard anything about how that will be handled?
Dogs will be allowed on the Magic Express Buses but they will have to be in a carrier. Not sure if that helps, but they won’t be running up and down the aisles. The buses run pretty frequently from the airport to the resorts so it probably wouldn’t be an issue to catch the next bus if you had to. From the resort to the airport is a little more scheduled. I would think a dog owner would need to let the magic express people know they are bringing a dog so maybe you will be able to request a dog free bus. It’s probably worth a call to find out.

Chernaboggles

Thanks! I wrote an email, but I'll give them a call tomorrow too. Hopefully they have some kind of policy in place.

Since it's a new change, I suspect they'll accomodate guests on a case-by-case basis for a while, until they see if particular situations come up often enough to require an official policy. If you're really worried about it, my advice would be to keep a record of your interactions with CMs on this issue: names, dates, exatly what you were told. Not to get people in trouble, but if there is some kind of a problem, you'll be able to show that you're not just throwing a spur-of-the-moment fit (which lord knows they see a lot of). Polite and organized is always a good look.

BlindChow

But it does do harm. I have been in a restaurant where someone brought a dog and the dog immediately peed in the middle of the floor.
In Paris several years ago I was having dinner with my sister at Le Dome (a restaurant renowned for the various literary and artistic luminaries like Sartre, Hemingway, Picasso who gathered there). A woman walked in with her little dog, and it sat quietly next to her in her booth thru her entire meal. There were no incidents at all. How anecdotal, eh?

Seriously, Disney's new policy doesn't even allow dogs in restaurants. They do, however, allow children, and I can guarantee someone here has an anecdote about a child urinating in a public place while they were eating. :hungover:

I do think it's telling that during the recent hurricanes Disney opened their resorts to dogs and the only stories we've heard are positive (and these were about pet owners who weren't even planning to take a vacation with their pets!). With the panic this announcement has engendered, you just know the opponents would be waving around at least one story of a pet gone rampant, an allergy victim having to be rushed to the hospital, or even a dog peeing in a restaurant...if there was such a story.

Oh well. Fingers crossed you get your wish on Sunday (when the policy goes into effect)!

Last edited:

BlindChow

How much do you think dog owners would pay for a pet ticket? I'm thinking $100 is fair to watch a Pluto themed fireworks show and a Goofy dance with your pet party.
"Wow, why are Goofy's arms so thick? He looks like Popeye!"

*cut to an extremely-padded Goofy with five growling Pit Bulls hanging off each arm*

Tony the Tigger

Not usually, although it seems to happen often enough that threads have reported it at WDW.

That's only after the children have been drinking around the world at Food & Wine.

How will the dogs feel nightly at 9 pm being 1/4 mile from World Showcase Lagoon?

Pretty similar to the way they feel across the street from Old Key West, at Best Friends Pet Care. Maybe better if their family is in the room with them. P.S. Many dogs are unfazed by loud noises, including the one in the upper-left corner of this post.

In all honesty what percentage of guests do people think will actually bring their dogs with them?

Roughly the same as the wider hotel industry, which has become more and more pet-accommodating over the last 15 years or so. There are better products to remove odors than in "the old days."

People who support this policy should write letters voicing their opinion.

Done!

How about creating the "All Star Dog Resort".
Why mix dogs into the resorts.
If it's so important to Disney, then why not build a separate resort?

I'm all for that, and actually mock-designed it on one of the "imagineering" threads.

Overall, I have a hard time mustering up sympathy for folks (other than the ones with phobias) who keep mischaracterizing the program, or dogs in general, and act like there will be a smelly dog in every room in every hotel for 15 hours at a time. It's 4 hotels. Pick up the pieces of your life and move on. Or complain about booze in the Magic Kingdom, characters in Epcot, half-day parks, you know - all those other really important things that just burn you up.

Venezia

I've experienced children with worse behavior than dogs on numerous occasions!
So true, however, no one is leaving a child alone in the room while the rest of the family is away at the parks. I cannot even imagine how frustrating the barking will be for guests. And what about mousekeeping? Are they entering the room while Fido is left alone? How many pets are going to dart out of the room? How many children will be attacked by a lost/stray dog? What a liability. This is a disaster in the works, imho. And btw I am an animal lover who owns a Bichon Frise.
But even so I would not risk losing her, plus I would not want her barking at every noise she hears, thus bothering the guests.

Last edited:

Venezia

I don't like this at all!!!!!!! I am EXTREMELY allergic to all animals. Can't even go to animal kingdom because of this. I sincerely hope they keep the dogs in a separate building or something because I do not need to have an allergy or asthma attack when I walk into a hotel room. And no matter how much they clean the room after they CANNOT get ALL of the dog fur. Trust me on this.
I called about this new pilot program. I was hoping their plan was to allocate one or two buildings for pets. But nope, the CM began naming all the buildings at POR and there are many buildings scattered throughout that will allow pets. What's more I was told that pets will only be allowed in standard and garden view rooms. Therefore, does this force those of us without pets into a preferred room due to a lack of the less expensive rooms? I'm concerned about allergens too. I have a hypoallergenic dog due to my allergies.
(Regardless, I will not bring her to WDW.) When I addressed my allergies I was told mousekeeping will be doing a more thorough cleaning after the pet and family leave. Hmm... I hope it all works out.

Last edited:

GlassHalfFull

This thread = :banghead:

Literally every page is someone else stating the exact same thing as the page before.. with the same misinformation/fear from the previous post included.. Sometimes I wish I was a fan of Busch Gardens or similar and visited their message boards. I can only imagine this page would be 3 pages at most with their traffic(if they had resorts that people cared about).

Incomudro

We can't even get people to stay behind the yellow line in the first 5 tries. In no way can we expect the general public to be responsible with this, either. I see the idiocy of people in the parks on a weekly basis.

Precisely.
How long do you think it'd take 'till you see a dog at a food court?
On path where it's not supposed to be?
Dragging some little kid behind it who is unable to control it?
And so on...
People think the rules don't apply to them.
We see this demonstrated all the time.

Pixieish

Precisely.
How long do you think it'd take 'till you see a dog at a food court?
On path where it's not supposed to be?
Dragging some little kid behind it who is unable to control it?
And so on...
People think the rules don't apply to them.
We see this demonstrated all the time.

This is part of my concern. So many badly behaved humans = a large number of badly behaved dogs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom