4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

Chernaboggles

So far, I believe I am the only person to mention switching resorts and refusing to pay an “upgrade fee”.

A $400 fee to switch from a higher rated mod to a lower rated mod with 11 months notice? Yeah, I’m an “abuser”. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity: at 11 months out, could you make a second reservation for the same dates at the hotel that you want, and then cancel the first without penalty? Or is there just no availability at all?

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You would think this was something they would have anticipated and waive fees accordingly.
I think it’s another case of one side of the house not speaking to the other especially since this was rolled out with very little lead time. The CMs on the phone probably didn’t have the authority to make the change so it got escalated up. They need a formal policy that is rolled out to all of the CMs so everyone is on the same page and guests are taken care of immediately. It shouldn’t take 90 mins to make a pretty simple change.

21stamps

You would think this was something they would have anticipated and waive fees accordingly.

I think it would be a last resort only if a person had a severe problem with dogs.
With the size of the resorts and the amount of buildings/rooms that are dog free, it’s probably a longer distance to someone with a dog than on your own street. I’m assuming they explain the areas and switch if someone is adamant about it. At that point there shouldn’t be fees if it’s a resort equal in price.

At the end of the day, a resort can change their rules and regulations at any time.. even if you already have a reservation.
I think people view Disney differently in that regard, like once they make a reservation nothing should change. But that will always be impossible if the company ever wants to add something new or end something that currently exists.

disneygeek90

I think it would be a last resort only if a person had a severe problem with dogs.
With the size of the resorts and the amount of buildings/rooms that are dog free, it’s probably a longer distance to someone with a dog than on your own street. I’m assuming they explain the areas and switch if someone is adamant about it. At that point there shouldn’t be fees if it’s a resort equal in price.

At the end of the day, a resort can change their rules and regulations at any time.. even if you already have a reservation.
I think people view Disney differently in that regard, like once they make a reservation nothing should change. But that will always be impossible if the company ever wants to add something new or end something that currently exists.
Everyone in the "pro-dog" group has insisted over and over that if people don't like it, they are free to find other accommodations. Then when someone, who wasn't aware of the rule when they booked, wants to find somewhere else to stay but not be penalized for a rebook fee, all the sudden it's only valid to accommodate if you have "severe problems?"

The contradiction is rich.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I think it’s easier than that. If someone says they want to switch an existing reservation because they started allowing dogs after the reservation was made they should switch them to an equivalent room at no charge. A guest shouldn’t have to explain why they want to switch. It’s a short term issue during the pilot.

Going forward the main booking page should be updated with a dog friendly logo clearly labeled on these resorts so anyone booking knows it’s a dog friendly resort. Then nobody will need to switch.

21stamps

Nah...this should have been a "no questions asked" sort of thing and just do it.
Everyone in the "pro-dog" group has insisted over and over that if people don't like it, they are free to find other accommodations. Then when someone, who wasn't aware of the rule when they booked, wants to find somewhere else to stay but not be penalized for a rebook fee, all the sudden it's only valid to accommodate if you have "severe problems?"

The contradiction is rich.
I think it’s easier than that. If someone says they want to switch an existing reservation because they started allowing dogs after the reservation was made they should switch them to an equivalent room at no charge. A guest shouldn’t have to explain why they want to switch. It’s a short term issue during the pilot.

Going forward the main booking page should be updated with a dog friendly logo clearly labeled on these resorts so anyone booking knows it’s a dog friendly resort. Then nobody will need to switch.

These comments are exactly why I said “people view Disney differently”.
Yes, anyone is free to switch if they don’t like dogs.
No, I don’t blame a business for not offering to compensate someone right out of the gate.
They are allowed to change their policies without asking everyone’s permission.

I’m willing to bet that people have booked hotels that they’ve never even realized were “dog friendly”. I didn’t realize that Universal resorts were until this thread.

disneygeek90

No, I don’t blame a business for not offering to compensate someone right out of the gate.

I’m willing to bet that people have booked hotels that they’ve never even realized were “dog friendly”. I didn’t realize that Universal resorts were until this thread.
It's Customer Service 101, not a legal policy form. And that's what Disney prides themselves on.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This isn’t about dog vs anti-dog people. It’s a business. It’s basic customer service. They don’t have to do anything but why would Disney as a business want to alienate a customer? It makes no sense.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Based on my years involved in hotel/resort operations and reservations, I do blame them. It isn't a compensation. It is a reasonable request that came about due to a recent change to policy. It should have been a no brainer. It was up to management to get this information to the agents to properly handle these simple situations. Or at least give the agents the tools to make these quick decisions on their own and without approval. It is basic customer service, really.

21stamps

This isn’t about dog vs anti-dog people. It’s a business. It’s basic customer service. They don’t have to do anything but why would Disney as a business want to alienate a customer? It makes no sense.

No it’s about being realistic that a company will always implement a change when someone has a reservation. There isn’t any way to avoid it. Tomorrow, 6 months from now.. announcements don’t matter. Someone will always have a reservation.

Sounds like they’re explaining the areas first so people understand. That doesn’t sound like a horrible practice, it sounds like a smart one.

Based on my years involved in hotel/resort operations and reservations, I do blame them. It isn't a compensation. It is a reasonable request that came about due to their policy change. It should have been a no brainer. It was up to management to get this information to the agents to properly handle these simple situations. Or at least give the agents to tools to make these quick decisions on their own and without approval. It is basic customer service, really.

If you weren’t talking about extremely large properties then I would agree with you.
I would want someone to tell me that there are designated areas before I made that decision.

Chernaboggles

Agreed. The hospitality business is all about perception. If corporate has made a change that the guest objects so strongly to that they don't want to stay at a particular resort anymore, just switch them with a smile. There's no need to give them anything extra, but a hassle-free transfer should be the default, not something the guest has to fight for. I think this should apply to things like construction as well. Not emergency maintenance or stuff like dogs staying during the hurricanes, but policy changes and planned disruptions, yes.

21stamps

Agreed. The hospitality business is all about perception. If corporate has made a change that the guest objects so strongly to that they don't want to stay at a particular resort anymore, just switch them with a smile. There's no need to give them anything extra, but a hassle-free transfer should be the default, not something the guest has to fight for. I think this should apply to things like construction as well. Not emergency maintenance or stuff like dogs staying during the hurricanes, but policy changes and planned disruptions, yes.

I respectfully, but strongly, disagree. I watched it when one of the Moderate resorts announced construction.. people flipped out, called, demanded something different.. wanted upgrades. Told stories of staying on hold until they got AKL or Beach Club etc...or even other more expensive ‘moderates’.

Come on now. Upgrades should happen in certain cases, but you can’t upgrade an entire resort because of construction or a closed restaurant, or because people just don’t like dogs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom