4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

disneygeek90

yes but will people really obey these rules? they cant even obey rules standing in lines or no flash photography or video.
A good portion absolutely won't and if people think everyone will follow the rules it's truly laughable.

"Guests are requested not to leave their animals unattended in rooms for longer than 7 hours at a time, and Disney requires that animals must be capable of being silent during their stay, stating "If noise is heard, you will be called to address the noise within 30 minutes".

This is the thing I find most challenging with the whole process. Does any dog not bark when you leave them in an unfamiliar area??

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
UncomfortableDeliciousHammerheadbird-size_restricted.gif

I'm going to the World!

disneygeek90

Interesting post discussing the rollout at PO. I know this was posted a few discussions back but it was a good read. This is a part of it.

"Initially, as will have been seen from the printed Dog Relief Area maps, it was intended that all these happy fluffy pets (which everyone would surely like) would be permitted in any type of guest booking at Riverside, and the early announcements did state that the whole resort - barring certain areas such as food & beverage and swimming pools - would be canine accessible as long as the animals were kept under control and on a leash. However over the last 48 hours that intent has been severely trimmed back and they are now aiming to try to restrict dogs to only Standard and Garden View rooms, and the current intention from the room inventory department at Riverside is to use building 24 as much as possible for any guests who book to stay with their pets. This building is well away from the common areas, is located right next to the parking lot to make getting pets to and from rooms easier, and has a nice grassy area nearby to allow dogs to be exercised.

I have reached out to my contacts at the resort who have said that so far (i.e. in the first three days of the program) they have not yet had a single dog staying at the resort. Over the next seven days there are currently just four one-night reservations with associated comments indicating that the guest plans to bring a dog with them, against more than 100 comments over the same seven-day period asking to be assigned to a room away from the dog friendly areas. Those four one-night reservations are apparently all from local Florida residents, and personally I would not be at all surprised to find that some or all of them turn out to be from social media aware guests, or even bloggers or website owners, testing out the new policies for themselves. If there have been any booking cancellations because of this new policy then they have already been replaced with new reservations, as Riverside is either sold out or very close to it for the rest of the month."

Link

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Interesting post discussing the rollout at PO. I know this was posted a few discussions back but it was a good read. This is a part of it.

"Initially, as will have been seen from the printed Dog Relief Area maps, it was intended that all these happy fluffy pets (which everyone would surely like) would be permitted in any type of guest booking at Riverside, and the early announcements did state that the whole resort - barring certain areas such as food & beverage and swimming pools - would be canine accessible as long as the animals were kept under control and on a leash. However over the last 48 hours that intent has been severely trimmed back and they are now aiming to try to restrict dogs to only Standard and Garden View rooms, and the current intention from the room inventory department at Riverside is to use building 24 as much as possible for any guests who book to stay with their pets. This building is well away from the common areas, is located right next to the parking lot to make getting pets to and from rooms easier, and has a nice grassy area nearby to allow dogs to be exercised.

I have reached out to my contacts at the resort who have said that so far (i.e. in the first three days of the program) they have not yet had a single dog staying at the resort. Over the next seven days there are currently just four one-night reservations with associated comments indicating that the guest plans to bring a dog with them, against more than 100 comments over the same seven-day period asking to be assigned to a room away from the dog friendly areas. Those four one-night reservations are apparently all from local Florida residents, and personally I would not be at all surprised to find that some or all of them turn out to be from social media aware guests, or even bloggers or website owners, testing out the new policies for themselves. If there have been any booking cancellations because of this new policy then they have already been replaced with new reservations, as Riverside is either sold out or very close to it for the rest of the month."

Link
This (though its still very new program) might just prove that many here are making mountains out of mole hills. This program will be scantly used IMO.

disneygeek90

This (though its still very new program) might just prove that many here are making mountains out of mole hills. This program will be scantly used IMO.
I don't necessarily think that's the case. The program was just rolled out incredibly quick I'm sure many aren't even aware it's a thing or already have other plans/reservations in place. Though I find the number of people requesting to be away from the pet areas interesting. Obviously they weren't aware when they booked that this would be implemented, either.

Pixieish

I don't necessarily think that's the case. The program was just rolled out incredibly quick I'm sure many aren't even aware it's a thing or already have other plans/reservations in place. Though I find the number of people requesting to be away from the pet areas interesting. Obviously they weren't aware when they booked that this would be implemented, either.

Just wait until it hits the FB groups en masse. All he** is going to break loose.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Yep, I understand its a new program but I just really feel this thread is a bit full of drama queens/kings.

We really need some real news, @marni1971 , do you have any? haha

21stamps

Maybe everyone should stop guessing what dogs will do, what dog owners will do, what Disney will do, and what non-dog people will do, and just let the test play out.

You’re correct of course.. but I still think it would be hilarious to be a fly on the wall in a call center right now. Sounds like a lot of people are complaining about this.
After a year and a half on a Disney forum I’ve come to realize that more people than expected will use anything to get some kind of upgrade, credit, refund, fast passes, etc.
Sorry, guess I’m jaded.

Pixieish

You’re correct of course.. but I still think it would be hilarious to be a fly on the wall in a call center right now. Sounds like a lot of people are complaining about this.
After a year and a half on a Disney forum I’ve come to realize that more people than expected will use anything to get some kind of upgrade, credit, refund, fast passes, etc.
Sorry, guess I’m jaded.

You aren't the only one that's jaded. ;)

I will say that for the most part, Disney guests are really decent people - I love just talking to random people while we're in the parks. HOWEVER, a growing trend seems to be scream the loudest, stomp your feet the hardest, bring up towel animals, and see how much free stuff you can get. THOSE people are the ones wrecking it for the rest of us.

Nubs70

A good portion absolutely won't and if people think everyone will follow the rules it's truly laughable.

"Guests are requested not to leave their animals unattended in rooms for longer than 7 hours at a time, and Disney requires that animals must be capable of being silent during their stay, stating "If noise is heard, you will be called to address the noise within 30 minutes".

This is the thing I find most challenging with the whole process. Does any dog not bark when you leave them in an unfamiliar area??
My St Bernard does not bark. He is a retired Show Dog and actually ignores other dogs. I have only heard the dog bark twice in 5.years. I am kind of glad he does not bark because his bark does not match his large size. Imagine The Rock talking like a woman

Nubs70

Miniature horses acting as service animals are already allowed at WDW. From the relevant Guest Services page:

"At Walt Disney World theme parks and Resort hotels, a service animal is defined as any dog or miniature horse trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability."

I imagine there are many fewer fakes, though. Mini-horses are way more work and investment than dogs.
What about mini Highland cows?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am not disputing what you just said. My point was that, if having an allergy to dogs is the only reason why you disagree with the presence of dogs at a WDW resort, can the dog allergy be controlled the same as the other common allergies that I mentioned? If so, then having dogs at a WDW resort you are staying at would not be a deterrent from staying there, at least not nearly as much of a deterrent. If you can't take any kind of over-the-counter medication to alleviate dog allergy symptoms, then I understand 100% why dogs at WDW would be a problem.
For some people with mild allergies, yes medication would work. For more severe allergies probably not. I have a pretty mild alergy to cats and my mother in law had one. I would usually be OK staying there for the day or even overnight with taking medication before and during my stay. Just relatively mild symptoms. If I stayed more than one night I would be in bad shape even on meds. It can lead to a sinus infection and antibiotics.

That’s also assuming you know to take the medicine up front. It’s not like a warning will pop up when the average guest books a room at one of these resorts. If someone with dog allergies gets a dog room without knowing they are going to suffer. In my experience you have to take the medicine up front before exposure with animal allergies. Once the symptoms start it’s too late. That’s not the same as seasonal allergies at least for me.

The other issue is constant exposure. People with horrific seasonal allergies can just stay indoors a lot during alergy season. Air conditioning can help a lot. They may even avoid taking a vacation during allergy season altogether. If a dog room is full of dander there’s no season to avoid and no getting away from it if you sleep in the room for 8+ hours.

That’s why I was saying it’s a bad analogy. The 2 while similar in some ways are different too and one is natural while the other is man made.

Some people also don’t want to be on strong allergy meds at WDW because they make some people drowsy. You can say, oh well too bad, but as I said before it’s 2 opposing needs that are in direct conflict. Dog owners want their pets with them and allergy sufferers don’t want to feel miserable or drowsy on vacation. It’s human nature that everyone sees this from their own perspective. It’s up to Disney to craft a policy that addresses both sides needs or risk losing one or the other as guests.

21stamps

Probably a lot more than you realize. I think most people here are imagining puppies.. oddly enough, dogs don’t stay puppies forever. ;)

disneygeek90

Probably a lot more than you realize. I think most people here are imagining puppies.. oddly enough, dogs don’t stay puppies forever. ;)
Mine would bark a decent amount, especially in his younger years. When we moved houses he was a nervous wreck whenever we left for a couple weeks. You know, being left alone in an unfamiliar area ;)

The dogs above me in my apartment complex love barking and running. I hear it constantly :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Chernaboggles

My St Bernard does not bark. He is a retired Show Dog and actually ignores other dogs. I have only heard the dog bark twice in 5.years. I am kind of glad he does not bark because his bark does not match his large size. Imagine The Rock talking like a woman

Solidarity. My lab doesn't bark either. When he was a puppy we taught him not to bark at the cats, he took it to mean he should never bark at all. People come to my door or drop off packages, I have no idea until they actually knock. There could be a mariachi band full of murderers on my doorstep and he wouldn't even yawn loudly.

Worst watchdog ever, but he's great in hotels.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Give it a little time. This is Disney where you book ADRs at 6 months and ride reservations 60 days in advance. Anyone there now already had their plans made. The 1 night reservations are most likely more local dog people trying it out. That being said I don’t think these resorts will be overrun with dogs either. It’s a niche market. Even the majority of dog owners here have said they wouldn’t likely use it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom