3rd Gate at DLP

Robbiem

According to this article there is up to 20 years before Disney has to build a third park or loose the land. This has been out back before. I suspect the French government is more concerned with continued investment rather than actual park numbers so as long as Disney continues to invest in the park this may well be postponed past 2040

https:///2020/02/third-park-at-disneyland-paris-tm1/

Haymarket

I do wonder what kind of park it’ll be. DisneySea is too expensive. But I can’t see an Epcot-esque park there, or an Animal Kingdom either...

Screen%2BShot%2B2020-03-06%2Bat%2B8.53.22%2BAM.png

Robbiem

I do wonder what kind of park it’ll be. DisneySea is too expensive. But I can’t see an Epcot-esque park there, or an Animal Kingdom either...

I doubt another EPCOT will ever be built and Animal kingdom would be hard to do in the Paris climate

I suspect we would end up with something like Disneysea but cheaper. Basically a castle style park with different lands and a tweaked layout with lots of IP.

Saying that I can’t see Paris having a third gate for a very long time (the government deal will be renewed again )so who knows by the time they do press ahead.

BTW does anyone know what happens to the land rights if Disney spins the parks off? Would they stay with park co or would they revert back to the French government?

fradz

BTW does anyone know what happens to the land rights if Disney spins the parks off? Would they stay with park co or would they revert back to the French government?

You'd need to start digging into the legal texts, I have never considered the transferability so haven't done the work myself. The texts clearly state the Walt Disney Company. I would assume as part of a spin off deal, these rights would also be transferred, but I'm not certain. If you want to do the research, you should start here: https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/loda/id/JORFTEXT000000692492/2016-12-31/?isSuggest=true & https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/loda/id/JORFTEXT000000517557/1987-03-25#JORFTEXT000000517557

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No

I doubt another EPCOT will ever be built and Animal kingdom would be hard to do in the Paris climate

I suspect we would end up with something like Disneysea but cheaper. Basically a castle style park with different lands and a tweaked layout with lots of IP.

Personally, the third gate should be something that's not already present in Walt Disney World (aka Paris' nearest competitor), so no more Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, DHS, and DAK-style parks. Paris already has a Magic Kingdom and a DHS-style park anyway, EPCOT would be too experimental for the current Disney board's taste (I mean look at what they're doing with it now), and I doubt a DAK park would thrive in the harsh weather conditions.

If they want to raise Paris' competitiveness as a Disney resort, the third gate should be something spectacular (to match Disneyland Park, because let's face it, WDSP isn't the best sequel to it) and has never been done before (to draw in first-time visitors and Disney Parks enthusiasts). Basically, it should be a close cousin to DisneySea (perhaps DisneySky to accommodate for the lack of seas around Marne-La-Vallée?) would fit those requirements.

Last edited:

fTs

Something unique that I would like to see for a third gate is more of a thrill park to satisfy the European taste for rollercoasters.

Toni25

Something unique that I would like to see for a third gate is more of a thrill park to satisfy the European taste for rollercoasters.
I bet it'll heavily showcase Marvel, some Star Wars spin offs, more Pixar IPs, maybe it'll touch on fox territory....and who knows whatever blockbuster shows Disney comes up with in the next decade.
Basically an IP/Studios type Park, with no common thematic integration or respect to "classic" Disney whatsoever, but fun and exciting nonetheless with lots of mass appeal.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
I bet it'll heavily showcase Marvel, some Star Wars spin offs, more Pixar IPs, maybe it'll touch on fox territory....and who knows whatever blockbuster shows Disney comes up with in the next decade.
Basically an IP/Studios type Park, with no common thematic integration or respect to "classic" Disney whatsoever, but fun and exciting nonetheless with lots of mass appeal.
Realistically, I can see this happening with the current direction Disney is going in, which is disappointing but not surprising. Ideally though, the Studios would receive a majority of the IP-driven stuff and the third gate is a totally new park concept (with a good balance of original and IP stuff, much like Disneyland Park). With announced expansions to the Studios so far, it's obvious they're sorting the park into IP neighborhoods (Marvel with Avengers Campus, WDAS with Arendelle, Lucasfilm with Star Wars Land, Pixar with Toon Studios), so there is a chance that the latter might happen. Fingers crossed!

Magic Feather

Saying that I can’t see Paris having a third gate for a very long time (the government deal will be renewed again )so who knows by the time they do press ahead.

"Basically a castle style park with different lands and a tweaked layout with lots of IP."
Every post-WDSP second gate concept I've seen follows this blueprint. Calling it a DisneySea is a little generous, but expect the "Next Generation" of Second/Third Gates to not follow any existing park concept in favor of an original theme that can bind together strong single/multi-IP themed lands that all focus on immersive-ness and atmosphere. Not unlike the Epic Universe plan (only difference being that the lands would be slightly less independent from each other.

cjkeating

I think an Island of Adventure style park (which I guess Epic Universe is an evolution of) would do very well at Disneyland Paris picking out the best bits of Europa/Efteling/Port Aventura that appeal to the European crowd.

Robbiem

A Disneysea styled park with a different theme would be a great fit with the original Disneyland Park. Maybe theme it to myths and legends - Ancient Greece/Rome, Samurai Japan, Medieval Europe, Viking sagas (Valhalla), Aztec/Mayan south america and comic book heroes etc would allow for original concepts and IP. Or perhaps a word showcase type park with lands themed to continents ?

J4546

Id like to see something original full of euro folklore. Maybe like a modifed epcot style lagoon with only european contry pavilions but they are bigger and each land has a major ride themed to something cool from that country. I dont know, but whatever it would be, i want dragons, castles, vikings, giant sea creatures, mythical beasts....that kind of stuff

European1992

Id like to see something original full of euro folklore. Maybe like a modifed epcot style lagoon with only european contry pavilions but they are bigger and each land has a major ride themed to something cool from that country. I dont know, but whatever it would be, i want dragons, castles, vikings, giant sea creatures, mythical beasts....that kind of stuff

Isn't this basically what Europa Park is? :D

LittleMerman

I feel like Disney doesn't have a solid idea for a whole theme park outside of the ones built. I'm sure they've tossed around lots of ideas and much better ones than we ever could think of on our own but I can't imagine what it would possibly be. They have the castle parks, studios parks, animals park, and Epcot and DisneySea which are very unique.

They could potentially build an Animal Kingdom style park but without the real animals so I don't know if that would make sense. Everything else would make sense (Pandora, the rides, the shows) but I don't know how successful it would be without the safari.

Epcot would be really cool, especially if they took ideas from Westcot. And DisneySea would probably work. But I don't know about a fully new idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom