3rd Gate at DLP

Haymarket

In predicting what they'll do, at this point, you have to think: maximum cynicism, zero interest in theme, minimal risk and expense. The stock price is the guiding star.

Concepts that exist, that aren't at the Disneyland Paris resort
  1. EPCOT
  2. Animal Kingdom
  3. California Adventure
  4. DisneySea
Do you really think they're going to build any of these as the third park? Animal Kingdom and DisneySea are too expensive, and the other two have been a pain to keep updated/rehabilitate.

Theming an entire park to one franchise is too risky. There's absolutely no way. Show me one successful first-tier (i.e., globally recognized) park based on a single franchise: there's none.

It's obvious what it's going to be, if anything: it's going to be an IP park like Universal Islands of Adventure and Epic Universe. That's the one type of park that's proved hugely, globally popular that they haven't concertedly and overtly built yet (as opposed to their studios parks, etc. growing into IP parks). There'll be only the vaguest baseline theming in the front and/or center ("lighthouse!" "celestial wonder!"), and then off to different IP lands. It's the cheapest and easiest to handle: no more griping about whole-park thematic consistency from parks fans, and when a franchise gets truly stale, and any attempts at reviving it fail, you can wait a couple decades after it becomes stale and then demolish it and replace it with some other huge franchise.

Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar. It doesn't matter if they're in the other Paris parks: they're going to use them across same-resort parks like Harry Potter in the Universal parks. If they use anything Disney, it'll be heavy on the contemporary biggies, e.g., the Disney Princesses franchise and ... I'm not sure what else. The stuff that's moved literally billions of dollars in merchandise in the other parks.

Maybe they'll have something like an "action/adventure franchise land" with a mix of things like Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean. Or maybe they'll have that villains land, with original rides (doubt it: too much risk).

There might be some rides in the central area/spine of the park themed to Mickey and the other four so it has the core of the Disney brand on some level.

Whatever IP lands and rides they have that aren't in the other two parks will be thrown-in where possible, with a little tweaking maybe - e.g., Smuggler's Run, but in an original trilogy land, and maybe Zootopia from Shanghai if that proves hugely successful.

Last edited:

LittleMerman

In predicting what they'll do, at this point, you have to think: maximum cynicism, zero interest in theme, minimal risk and expense. The stock price is the guiding star.

Concepts that exist, that aren't at the Disneyland Paris resort
  1. EPCOT
  2. Animal Kingdom
  3. California Adventure
  4. DisneySea
Do you really think they're going to build any of these as the third park? Animal Kingdom and DisneySea are too expensive, and the other two have been a pain to keep updated/rehabilitate.

Theming an entire park to one franchise is too risky. There's absolutely no way. Show me one successful first-tier (i.e., globally recognized) park based on a single franchise: there's none.

It's obvious what it's going to be, if anything: it's going to be an IP park like Universal Islands of Adventure and Epic Universe. There'll be only the vaguest baseline theming in the front and/or center ("lighthouse!" "celestial wonder!"), and then off to different IP lands. It's the cheapest and easiest to handle: no more griping about whole-park thematic consistency from parks fans, and when a franchise gets truly stale, and any attempts at reviving it fail, you can wait a couple decades after it becomes stale and then demolish it and replace it with some other huge franchise.

Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar. It doesn't matter if they're in the other Paris parks: they're going to use them across same-resort parks like Harry Potter in the Universal parks. If they use anything Disney, it'll be heavy on the contemporary biggies, e.g., the Disney Princesses franchise and ... I'm not sure what else. The stuff that's moved literally billions of dollars in merchandise in the other parks.

Maybe they'll have something like an "action/adventure franchise land" with a mix of things like Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean.

There might be some rides in the central area/spine of the park themed to Mickey and the other four so it has the core of the Disney brand on some level.

Whatever IP lands and rides they have that aren't in the other two parks will be thrown-in where possible, with a little tweaking maybe - e.g., Smuggler's Run, but in an original trilogy land, and maybe Zootopia from Shanghai if that proves hugely successful.
I've been saying for a while that Disney should move to more loosely themed areas where they can inject IPs if they are having a hard time justifying putting IPs into overly-themed areas where they don't "belong," similar to Epic Universe. Then people on here won't have as many meltdowns lol.

Jordan dby

I wouldn't be averse to a waterpark as the 3rd gate. Indoor or even a seasonal one considering the climate, it could be operational May to October where the parks are currently crowded. We certainly don't need a 3rd park in Jan or Feb, and would rather see the existing 2 expanded before we add a 3rd park to the resort. If I'm going to spend more than 3 days there then a waterpark rather than another theme park would add variety to the holiday

Rush

I don't think a third park has to be similar to anything we've seen before. The way I see it, current Disney management is much more likely to build a generic park without an overarching theme and promote it using the IP's within it. And if there's a theme, it would be something very generic and on brand like "magic" or "enchanted something".

Sir_Cliff

I don't think a third park has to be similar to anything we've seen before. The way I see it, current Disney management is much more likely to build a generic park without an overarching theme and promote it using the IP's within it. And if there's a theme, it would be something very generic and on brand like "magic" or "enchanted something".
Basically the same idea as Epic Universe. This is part of the reason I'd kind of prefer Disney held off building new parks for the time being until there's some change in creative direction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom