3D Models

Coasterking1

Original Poster
Well hello all. My name is Chad, and I am new to the forums. I am one of the biggest Disneys fans you'll ever meet(park fans that is). In addition, I am a Computer Graphic Artist and "wanna be" "Imagineer". As of this coming Monday 5/6/02, it will start a 2 week countdown before I leave for DisneyWorld. This has not been my first time there, however this will mark as one of the most memorable. 1 because I am going to ask my girlfriend of 3 yrs to marry me during the preshow to "Fantasmic", and two because I will have a tour of "Big Thunder Mountain" by a WDW cast member. The reason why I am posting this here is because when I return from my trip, I will start to make a Computer Graphic animation of WDW's "Big Thunder Mountain" for all to enjoy. The only thing missing from it will be the animationic characters seen throughout the attration. The animation will be done in a program call 3D Studio max 4.2, and I will post a link here in the forums when it is complete and ready for download. This will recreate the 1st person/onride view of the coaster. Everything will be extreamly detailed and the project should take me about 2 months being that I have a life and job outside of modeling for fun. Before I leave you, I just want to say that even though I am new to the boards, I have been visiting the site for a while now, and I must say that WDWMAGIC is the best WDW site around. I hope to chat with many of you forum members in the near future. Also, one request if possible. I am looking for a high quality onride video of "Big Thunder Mountain", and "Splash Mountain" to download. I have been to DigitalDisney's site and that is great(Keep up the great work), but I need something more clear, and not in Real Video format. This will aid me in my projects along with the Digital Pictures I will be taking during my stay. Thanks in advance for the person who comes through, and if nobody does but atleast tried, Thank you as well.:wave:

DCA Fan

Look at the Ride Videos topic for a video of Splash Mountain.
The only place off the top of my head that has a BTM video is http://www.disneylandsource.com , which is the DL version. You'll have to e-mail the webmaster to ask for it, since he's a bit short on bandwidth and is cutting down on videos, but I remember that it was around 20MB or something.

NowInc

ooOOoo...a fellow computer graphics person ;) I have a masters in Digital Media Arts/Animation and have been a 3D artist since the old POVRay days...

What software do you use?

Perhaps you'd like to trade some of the computer models I have made of WDW attractions?

So far I have done::

Splash mountain (outside)
Space mountain (outside)
ToT (outside and inside)
Rock N Rollercoaster (outside)
The Great Movie Ride (outside and inside)
Star Tours (outside)
The Tree Of Life (outside)
Spaceship Earth (outside and inside)
The Land (outside)
and I have about 3 dozen "works in progress"

All are fully textured set up with HDRI lighting rigging..so they look pretty believable...

Just drop me a line...

Main Street USA

Holy crap, you guys have a lot of time on your hands! I would love to sit around and play in Maya like that!

"No time! There's never any time! I dont have time to sleep, I gotta wash my hair!"

"Jesse, calm down, you can't sing tonight!"

"Yes I can! See! I'm so exited, I'm so exited.....I'm.....so.......scared!"

Anyone know what that's from?

NowInc

Originally posted by Main Street USA
Holy crap, you guys have a lot of time on your hands! I would love to sit around and play in Maya like that!

"No time! There's never any time! I dont have time to sleep, I gotta wash my hair!"

"Jesse, calm down, you can't sing tonight!"

"Yes I can! See! I'm so exited, I'm so exited.....I'm.....so.......scared!"

Anyone know what that's from?

Time? Well....in all honesty..most of these were done back in the Maya BETA days in college..when i had that "time" stuff...and now that i am technically unemployed...i seem to have a bit of time on my hands every now and again to do a bit of 3d doodling. Im currently working on a HUGE "fun" project (fun is a word i use to desribe something that im doing thats not for payment) that im going to be posting in the imagineering section when im ready (still got tons of work to do on it tho),,,

...and i have no idea what thats from....

disney2b

first off welcome Coasterking1. sounds cool.. i wish i had that kind of software, i have an idea for a ride that i had been working on as a villian ride. maybe someday i will get a chance to do it as a ride... do you have No Limits, just an idea but you may be able to use it to make sure it feels like the ride

NowInc

If you want to get started in 3D...for free...you do have a few options...

POVRay is still free..and MUCH easier to use than it was when I started it back in the early 90's

Blender is also free...although discontinued....

Strata released a free version of Strata 3D...

Those should all give you a good start..but if you decide to persue this further you will have to shell out a tad bit of cash..

Personally I use Maya, XSI, 3DSMax (by far the worst program ever written), Lightwave, TrueSpace (my first WINDOWS based 3D app), Houdini, Merai, classic Softimage|3D, Strata, POVRay, and Cinema4D. So when if/when you decide to persue this further..just let me know and I can help you decide which one is best for what you want to do. Each program (yes...even MAX) has its advantage..and in the end its all a matter of how much you want to do that will decide which program you choose.

Also...just a suggestion to all you 3D artists out there..dont be afraid of post. I do my major modeling and rendering in 3D..but for stills i always bring them into photoshop and touch them up.

For motion you should bring the animations into Shake, Combustion, AfterFX....or even premiere...to do your final composition.

NEVER render out full frames...Layers/passes are your friend...its much easier to adjust something in one layer than it is if its all as one complete flattened image.

....ok...i think im getting confusing..sorry ;)

hehe

NowInc

...ok...so lets see if i can flex some 3D muscles here...

Behold the power of maya...the image below is ALL Geometry..and all code. It took about 30 minutes to write the code (who says you dont need math?) ..but now it works pretty damn nice. I used to make spaceship earth using Deplacment maps (Bump maps would have been way too faulty)..but it was too limiting , and render heavy..so I decided tonight id write this little thing. I need to work out more kinks and such (for example..even tho it has a workable poly count...it needs more triangles to TRUELY be spaceship earth)...now i need to get back to work on my ORIGINAL project...I keep getting sidetracked by things like this.

Attachments

• spaceship.jpg
    spaceship.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 209

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by Main Street USA
OK.........don't laugh..............

Saved by the Bell!

Ok...from now on we will call you Screetch (spelling?)

Dan,

That is very kewl...and I wish I were Maya and Math literate..LOL Very neat!

NowInc

hehe...lets raise the ante a tad...ever wonder what spaceship earth would look like if it were made out of glass?

(excuse the crappy texture useage...i wrote a custom glass shader which took long enough..so i slapped a generic stone onto the "table")

Attachments

• glassearth.jpg
    glassearth.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 192

NowInc

Thanks guys..but really..that was really easy to do...when I get more time...I'll render out some stills of the Disney stuff i did ;)

NowInc

Ok kids...I dont know why I didnt remeber this EARLIER..but..

A few of my favorite 3D packages released FREE learning versions (with restrictions of course)...

There is one catch....they only run on NT/2K/XP...so all you 98/ME users out there....well...upgrade ;)

First on the list...is Maya Personal Learning Edition...personally..Maya is the program I use the most..however..I think their free version is pretty crappy... it comes with "ok" documentation and is only available online...

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Tm...ity/Special/maya_ple/index.jhtml&style=normal

Next up...and setting standards for EVERY 3d program out there...the XSI Experience...this is by far the BEST "free" package you can get your hands on. It comes with 2 CDs..FULL documentation, VIDEO tutorials..as well as sample scene files and a damn pretty package...the downside? it takes like 3 months to get yours in the mail (I ordered mine about 4 months ago and it JUST arrived today)...

http://www.softimage.com/Products/xsi/v2/ExperienceCD/

And finally...but sadly not yet available...is Lightwave 3D Free...which has been ANNOUNCED but not yet released. This one will probobly run on 98/ME...so keep watching to find out if/when it arrives.

http://www.lightwave3d.com/

....there is also a "free" version of MAX out there...but I have heard only REALLY bad things about it...so i dont want to steer you in that direction ;)

My suggestion? GET EM ALL!! They are all free and are basically the full versions with "restrictions" (such as you cant save..."Clean render", etc)...

Erika

VERY impressive!

I played with 3D a little bit in high school, but I just don't have the patience for it. And then there's that whole math thing-- ugh! I couldn't even tell you what program I was using.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom