3D Models

Coasterking1

Original Poster
NowInc, I am currently in college for CG, and you seem to be a bit more skilled then I. However, I would love to view your work...I could send you files, but nothing from WDW as this will be my first attempt. However I had made planes, cars, and a number of real rollercoasters, and imaginary coasters. I would be more then happy to give you the files that I have. My main program is 3D Studio max, however I have used Maya 3D, Blender, Macromedia Flash, Lightwave, Poser, Animator, Rino3D, and probably a number of others I am forgetting. All of my real work is in 3D studio though. As far as no limits, yes I have the game...what rollercoaster freak wouldn't. if ya wanna trade no limits files, let me know. I am working on incredible hulk now. I am very interested in seeing your Splash Mountain and Space Mountain. When I finish Big Thunder, I will be more than happy to give you the file. I also want to say sorry for not posting sooner, but college exams are this coming week, and I am studing my butt off. if anyone wants to e-mail me send it to coasterking1@hotmail.com Thanks...later guys(thanks for the warm welcome!)

NowInc

Originally posted by Coasterking1
NowInc, I am currently in college for CG, and you seem to be a bit more skilled then I. However, I would love to view your work...I could send you files, but nothing from WDW as this will be my first attempt. However I had made planes, cars, and a number of real rollercoasters, and imaginary coasters. I would be more then happy to give you the files that I have. My main program is 3D Studio max, however I have used Maya 3D, Blender, Macromedia Flash, Lightwave, Poser, Animator, Rino3D, and probably a number of others I am forgetting. All of my real work is in 3D studio though. As far as no limits, yes I have the game...what rollercoaster freak wouldn't. if ya wanna trade no limits files, let me know. I am working on incredible hulk now. I am very interested in seeing your Splash Mountain and Space Mountain. When I finish Big Thunder, I will be more than happy to give you the file. I also want to say sorry for not posting sooner, but college exams are this coming week, and I am studing my butt off. if anyone wants to e-mail me send it to coasterking1@hotmail.com Thanks...later guys(thanks for the warm welcome!)

Hmmm..guess I'll have to re-install MAX...grr..hehe..I'll let you know ;)

DonickCo

i made this one way back.

Please let me know what you think.
-DonickCo

Attachments

• 1_my_epcot.jpg
    1_my_epcot.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 134

DonickCo

My computer couldn’t handle any more triangles in Space ship earth. And it still took 15hours to render.

-DonickCo

Main Street USA

That still render took 15 hours?!!??! Or did you do an animation of it. 15 hours for a still is a ridiculous amount of time!

If thats Maya you should go play with your render globals to cut that down a bit!

DigitalDisney

It took 15 hours because of all the recursive refraction in that picture. Nearly everything is made from glass in that pic, and many of the objects are separate from each other. The math involved to ray trace that kind of geometry and material is complex, and it can take a long time to fully render.

Coasterking1

Original Poster
Just so everyone knows, I am away at my girlfriends house this weekend, and today is Sunday May 5th...However, when I return home later this evening, I will post some of my work with rollercoasters so you can all get a concept of how Big Thunder Mountain will appear. 3D Studio Max is a very powerfull program mainly used in the creation of video games and is not ment for the creation of rollercoasters. However, with knowledge you can make anything you can dream up. NowINC is right...to make Spaceship Earth is very easy, all you need to do is create a Geosphear and modify it. The geosphear is a compound object that you can make with 1 click of a mouse button. If you want to fancy it up a bit like he did with glass, all you need to do is use a material editor and choose a proper relection map. if anyone is interested in learning, I recommend getting the free version of 3d Studio max called Gmax as NOWINC Mentioned above. it is a very good program and will allow you to create anything you want. The best way to learn these programs is by trial and error. try each function and see what it does to an obect, and I would also buy a quickstart guide from a local bookstore to help guide you along. Anyway, check back later and I will render some pics for you all to enjoy. also...NOWINC, get max ready in your pc and I will upload you some files. Please post your rendering of Splash Mountain as I am dying to see that. is there a free program I could use to see the file made by maya? if so please let me know, and if not a picture is good enough for me. Alright peeps, I must get going...catch you all tonight. PS-if you want to im me on aol im my screename is TheBeast32979. Later!

NowInc

...15 hours? on what? a 500mhz? hehe...the glass SpaceshipEarth I did took 10 minutes to render in Maya (with refaractions turned WAY up)..and as some of you know...Mayas render is not really "the best" for raytracing....

Also...the Icohydron isnt exactly EASY to do in Maya..since..as you may have noticed..there is no geosphere primitive. but lets not get too technical on here..we alerady lost everyone...

...I have to sorta Disagree with the MAX statment...at my old job, we were in the coaster/theme park creation buisness (NO..not imagineering)..when I got there..they were using MAX...I quickly got them to switch to Maya because it is..well..unlike max...not buggy ;) But hey..to each is own...

I dont know of any programs that can open Maya files except for Maya....or if you have POVRay..but thats a whole other headache. I may be able to export it (without proper UV cords) in 3ds...i'll try later...

DonickCo

Its was bryce 3d on a k62-300 Mhz and 64Mb ran with a 4 MB video card. Or it might have been a p-150 32mb.
I wish I still has the master file today, but i lost it when my HD died....i hope it still on disk somewhere.

_DonickCo

CrashNet

Well...

Since everyone is announcing things, I recently got my hands on the Illuminations: Reflections of Earth soundtrack and I am going to recreate the show in some kind of 3d program. I have 3d Studio Max 3.1 right now and am looking into Maya, but I'm not sure which one I am going to use. This where you come in NowInc. I'm probably going to be asking you MANY questions over the next several months, and here's my first: which program is better for recreating fireworks and pyro?

As I create test images and renderings, particularily the earth, I will post them. Do keep in mind it will take a while considering I do this for fun and have NEVER had any taught instruction on these programs. Everything I know now I have learned on my own.

The two big things I am working on right now are the recreation of the lagoon, the buildings around the lagoon in epcot, and the globe.

I'll post pictures when I have something to show.

BTW, any chance we could see some pictures of those models you have already created Dan?

Coasterking1

Original Poster
Beyond a shadow of doubt, maya is the best...well outside of silicon graphics which made "Shreck". Maya is extreamly powerfull...much more than max, however it is a bit more expensive. I would love to use maya at home, but I don't have the money for it. I already spent 4,000+ on max 4.0. As far as fireworks are concerned, max is fine, but maya would be much better. Please see my other post which was added 5/5 because it contains coaster models for all to enjoy.

CrashNet

Hmm

Originally posted by Coasterking1
Beyond a shadow of doubt, maya is the best...well outside of silicon graphics which made "Shreck". Maya is extreamly powerfull...much more than max, however it is a bit more expensive. I would love to use maya at home, but I don't have the money for it. I already spent 4,000+ on max 4.0. As far as fireworks are concerned, max is fine, but maya would be much better. Please see my other post which was added 5/5 because it contains coaster models for all to enjoy.

I'm studying for finals right now so I have only had around 3 hours of sleep in the past 52 hours. Unless i'm blind, I can't find the pictures anywhere. I'll go back and read all of your posts and make sure. Can you kind of steer me in the right direction though. I am so tired I can barely even see straight.

By the way, what school do you go to?

Thanks alot!
-Chris

NowInc

Fireworks?? maya..DEFINATLY..not only does maya have a fireworks tool (which would need to be tweaked to do the show..but not much0..it has superior particle systems...It would take you a year to do it in max..and maybe 2 months in Maya.

Im here to help..just ask ;)

..keep in mind the fireworks (as well as a good portion of the 3d graphics) for Lord of the rings was done in maya...so you can get some pretty neat results with a bit of alteration ;)

Main Street USA

yeah, um, digital disney, raytracing certainly makes things take longer to render. but, um 15 hours is waaaaaaaaaaay too long for a single frame. like Now said, he used the galss and it took him 10 min. no matter how many refractions, reflections, lights, etc. one may have, thats just too long. in 15 hours he should be able to render out a 5 second animation of that scene.

and, oh yeah, Maya's particle systems are sweeeeeeeeeet!!

NowInc

Originally posted by Main Street USA
yeah, um, digital disney, raytracing certainly makes things take longer to render. but, um 15 hours is waaaaaaaaaaay too long for a single frame. like Now said, he used the galss and it took him 10 min. no matter how many refractions, reflections, lights, etc. one may have, thats just too long. in 15 hours he should be able to render out a 5 second animation of that scene.

and, oh yeah, Maya's particle systems are sweeeeeeeeeet!!

He also said he did it in Bryce..sooo..hehe

(for those who dont know..Bryce and Poser are the jokes of the industry..even more than MAX or HASH)

DigitalDisney

Here are some more things to consider:

We don't know what kind of detail settings were used in that render. Perhaps AA was cranked (which definately adds to the computation time). Maybe the final image was set to an ungodly resolution.

There could also be some external factors involved here. Maybe the machine was running a virus scan or disk maintainence at the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom