2nd Annual 31 Days of Imagineering

Outbound

December 11th
A new Hotel for Universal's Epic Universe at the Universal Orlando Resort

I know it's technically Day 12, but I was busy all day so best do two prompts at once!

Universal's Ghastly Tower is a rundown NYC apartment complex... overrun with ghosts! At night, a number of casted crew will pretend to be ghouls and "haunt" sleeping guests. But don't worry - these frights are friendly and often humorous.... for instance, a slimer hosted jazz club. With the recent announcement of the new Ghostbusters, I think this is a pretty plausible addition.

1576131421721.png

---
December 12th
A New Tomorrow(Land)

Oh boy... where to begin? There are so many ways for Tomorrowland to go. Most will go for the optimistic, pure "perfect future" Walt was originally imagined, but that's becoming more difficult nowadays. Then there's DLP's Discoveryland. There is also the "gritty cyberpunk" idea that while taking away from most of Tomorrowland's themes does provide for a really great experience.

To try something new, I'd suggest abandoning all these concepts and giving Tomorrowland a new theme: an alien colony.

1576131941180.png

Space: the final frontier. Our mission: to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before!

Tomorrowland is now an outpost on a remote alien world that is being settled for the first time. There is another species here who've we made friendly relations with. It is a time of exploration and optimism.

Going off Disneyland (I know it best), Autopia is replaced with a friendly rover drive across the beautiful alien landscape. We'll encounter magical wildlife, an alien civilization, and our own, sustainable colonization efforts. It's sorta a combination of the utopian Tomorrowland and wonder-inducing Adventureland.

Finding Nemo's Submarines is replaced with an under the sea exploration. The rest of the land, more urban in nature, is swapped out for a basic colony. The buildings seem more recently constructed, and alien vegetation still grows about. The Innovations building is replaced with an Alien Temple, from which the colony was built around. Inside, we can see a number of artifacts from both the aliens and humans.

Star Tours becomes a new "Starfleet Training Mission" attraction where we explore the galaxy in a totally not ripped off from Star Trek space force. It is a lot like Star Tours in that there are a number of different planets/stellar anomalies that we visit. Across the way, Buzz Lightyear brings back Adventure Thru Inner Space, with the new twist being some alien technology has made it possible to shrink us to subatomic levels. Last, Space Mountain stays as-is: perfect.​

Miru

DL Tommorowland:

Once Star Tours is relocates to GE, the entire land gets a makeover into something resembling Discoveryland a little more, and having more elements than just “SPACE!” Space has mostly been consigned to the Mountain. The Carousel building will take us on a “Journey Into Imagination”, based directly onto the original. Alongside it is the new Blue Sky Gallery, displaying the history of Imagineering. Hawaiian waves beckon to what used to be Star Tours as well as Captain EO. Take off on a Galactic Council flyer, and see the stars of 2002’s hit franchise! Say hi to Experiment 621 Chopsuey for me! Pizza Planet has gotten a do-over to be more accurate. A new Adventure Thru Inner Space is also open, found at where Buzz used to be. Autopia has been redone as a steampunk attraction. The Submarine Voyage is now a voyage into another dimension.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
December 13th
A Remake worth Making!

For today, we are gonna work together to come up with some pitches for remakes of Disney movies that are actually worth making! Most of their live action remakes have either been needlessly dark/edgy or basically just a shot for shot retelling. Plus, they tend to all be remaking stories that were already told really well instead of trying to improve some of Disney's weaker entries.

So, what should Disney remake? Any movies that lend themselves better to live action or animation even if the plot is basically the same? Something that lends itself to a radical new take? A spin off or sequel that serves as a soft reboot? A Disney+ series as an adaptation/remake something?​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Bonus Prompt! 12/13
New Nighttime Parade for Magic Kingdom

For today, we are ALSO gonna work together to come up with ideas for a new nighttime parade! Ideas for a whole new parade? Ideas for just a single float you think would be neat? A holiday themed parade?​

Miru

A remake of... one of their original 2010s live-action fantasies in animated form. They’ve all been badly-done in terms of CGI effects and writing choices, which has unintentionally made potentially good stories rather disturbing and sickly. This animated series will not only adapt and modify films such as their take on Nutcracker, but later cross these films over.

Nutcracker’s Story now continues, with Mother Ginger taking advantage of the power vacuum, proud that she and her old enemy managed to manipulate Clara into letting her win. Sugar Plum ends up banished to the real world. Without her machine, she looks to Clara for help and advice. Clara doesn’t trust her at first, but ultimately buys into her. While Sugar Plum is trying to use Clara for her vengeance, she develops a bit of a bond. A dark element or two that would be added in include the death of the original Mouse King at the hands of Clara’s mother and her own death to Jack the Ripper, whom they later fight against.

Eventually, Sugar Plum and Clara end up in Oz. From here, the Great and Powerful arc plays out, and then Oz gradually goes mad with power and sorrow. Theodora continues her brainwashed ways, eventually subjecting Evanora to the same Apple she ate, turning the latter into something even more hideous than her true self. The quest to save Theodora from herself ignites, as her life is on the line from an unaware visitor... Evanora survives a falling house and continues her bloody warpath of rage.

To change her back, three mystical body parts are needed. While Theodora is changed back, the good Locasta ultimately sacrifices herself to do so, as she herself is suddenly poisoned by the mutagenic apple.

After this, Mother Ginger continues to rule rather fairly, yet militarizing all the realms with her mechanical mutants. Initially Theodora thinks something is wrong, and goes to investigate. Ultimately, Oscar declares war on the Four Realms. Evanora then declares war on him. The next arc is about stopping the incoming war, which will pour into the real world...

Any other films I could try and incorporate? Maybe Maleficent could be used?

Last edited:

Outbound

You know, I kinda like Maleficent's "the bad guy had a point" concept, and I think it could have worked if only Maleficent wasn't such a silly choice. She is an embodiment of evil, and the only way to make her likable is to make her the secret hero of the story.... which diminishes the point of the original.

Instead, I would have liked to see a bad guy perspective similar to that of Joker - though of course not as dark - where we come to understand the villain's motivations, though not necessarily agree with them. Play it like a tragedy.

1576217977246.png

SCAR
Before Simba was born, Scar's father had twins: the outgoing and likable Mufasa, and the shy nonathletic Scar (a teasing name from his scar that has since stuck). Scar's father is a loving father to Mufasa but a real jerk to Scar, wanting him to be more like his older brother. The innocent Scar comes to accept he will always be lower than Mufasa.

Until one day, he overhears a conversation between the King and Queen. There he learns they have it all wrong: he was the firstborn, not Mufasa, and his father swapped the ages just because he didn't want an heir with a scar! Scar is furious, but too scared to confront his father. Mufasa tries to help. Unlike their father, Mufasa genuinely wants to be Scar's friend, but Scar is so disillusioned at this point he leaves their home and sets off to the outlands, hoping to find purpose there.

In the outlands, Scar meets the hyenas, who take an angry yet still well-intentioned prince and begin corrupting him. Where Scar doesn't want to return, they tell him it is his duty to all peoples, that Mufasa will be the kingdom's ruin, and that the circle of life is inherently flawed. Through this they corrupt Scar, culminating in his decision to take them all back to the Pridelands. But when he returns he finds he is too late - his father is dead and Mufasa has taken the throne, unchallenged. Without any evidence to back his claim, Scar recludes again. Mufasa tries to make up to his brother, but he rejects the offer and stays with his hyena pals.

Mufasa has Simba, with angers Scar further. He believes he deserves the throne now not only because of it his right but because he would make the superior king. Therefore, we understand his logic for disliking Simba, even when we know he is really the far better ruler. The hyenas suggest the only way take the throne is to kill Mufasa, but despite his jealousy he won't do it. The hyenas have to really push for this one, and finally, he caves in, becoming a full villain. He kills Mufasa and takes the throne, but instantly the Pridelands fall apart, and we see everything he was striving for was a lie. Simba returns and dethrones Scar, who then dies at the hands of his "friends".

In essence, society makes Scar jealous, and the shadows of the world use that jealously to corrupt a good soul, before turning on him in his moment of need.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
You know, I kinda like Maleficent's "the bad guy had a point" concept, and I think it could have worked if only Maleficent wasn't such a silly choice. She is an embodiment of evil, and the only way to make her likable is to make her the secret hero of the story.... which diminishes the point of the original.

Instead, I would have liked to see a bad guy perspective similar to that of Joker - though of course not as dark - where we come to understand the villain's motivations, though not necessarily agree with them. Play it like a tragedy.

Before Simba was born, Scar's father had twins: the outgoing and likable Mufasa, and the shy nonathletic Scar (a teasing name from his scar that has since stuck). Scar's father is a loving father to Mufasa but a real jerk to Scar, wanting him to be more like his older brother. The innocent Scar comes to accept he will always be lower than Mufasa.

Until one day, he overhears a conversation between the King and Queen. There he learns they have it all wrong: he was the firstborn, not Mufasa, and his father swapped the ages just because he didn't want an heir with a scar! Scar is furious, but too scared to confront his father. Mufasa tries to help. Unlike their father, Mufasa genuinely wants to be Scar's friend, but Scar is so disillusioned at this point he leaves their home and sets off to the outlands, hoping to find purpose there.

In the outlands, Scar meets the hyenas, who take an angry yet still well-intentioned prince and begin corrupting him. Where Scar doesn't want to return, they tell him it is his duty to all peoples, that Mufasa will be the kingdom's ruin, and that the circle of life is inherently flawed. Through this they corrupt Scar, culminating in his decision to take them all back to the Pridelands. But when he returns he finds he is too late - his father is dead and Mufasa has taken the throne, unchallenged. Without any evidence to back his claim, Scar recludes again. Mufasa tries to make up to his brother, but he rejects the offer and stays with his hyena pals.

Mufasa has Simba, with angers Scar further. He believes he deserves the throne now not only because of it his right but because he would make the superior king. Therefore, we understand his logic for disliking Simba, even when we know he is really the far better ruler. The hyenas suggest the only way take the throne is to kill Mufasa, but despite his jealousy he won't do it. The hyenas have to really push for this one, and finally, he caves in, becoming a full villain. He kills Mufasa and takes the throne, but instantly the Pridelands fall apart, and we see everything he was striving for was a lie. Simba returns and dethrones Scar, who then dies at the hands of his "friends".

In essence, society makes Scar jealous, and the shadows of the world use that jealously to corrupt a good soul, before turning on him in his moment of need.
Scar: How 'bout another joke, Mufasa?

Mufasa: No, I think we've had enough of your jokes.

Scar: What do you get when you cross a mentally ill loner with a Pride Lands that abandons him and treats him like trash?

Scar: I'll tell you what you get! You get what you kutomba-ing deserve!

Miru

As for the second prompt, it would be a holiday parade, Ghosts From the Past. Floats based around extinct attractions would dance in the darkness of night, after Boo To You. They would likely be found on the Seven Seas Lagoon, as opposed to being landlocked.

Miru

Last time was the first time we had a bonus prompt of a new night-time parade. Well, that prompt didn’t really get much other than my suggestion. The main prompt was about a reboot of something that actually needed it. My Nutcracker reboot seemed to be good, along with the Joker-inspired Scar. But now, here’s an exciting prompt;

Creating a PROPER Lilo and Stitch attraction!

The best thing they’ve got was Aloha E Komo Mai. Otherwise, there’s been the nauseating Stitch’s Great Escape, plus lots of meet and greet stuff. The most popular 2000s Disney Classic (tied with PATF if not beating it) deserves a true ride of some form. Be it a dark ride, a coaster, or what have you. (I’ve came up with ideas for both). Bonus points for incorporating all four films.

And today’s bonus prompt; another IP that has for the longest time needed a true theme park attraction; SpongeBob SquarePants. Why have parks consistently done SpongeBob dirty? At best, it’s a coaster ripped from the show or a 4D film, but it’s usually just flat rides. Where’s SpongeBob’s MV3D, Star Tours, or Pooh’s Hunny Hunt? You be the judge. It’s time to do our Spongey boi proud!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Last time was the first time we had a bonus prompt of a new night-time parade. Well, that prompt didn’t really get much other than my suggestion. The main prompt was about a reboot of something that actually needed it. My Nutcracker reboot seemed to be good, along with the Joker-inspired Scar. But now, here’s an exciting prompt;

Creating a PROPER Lilo and Stitch attraction!

The best thing they’ve got was Aloha E Komo Mai. Otherwise, there’s been the nauseating Stitch’s Great Escape, plus lots of meet and greet stuff. The most popular 2000s Disney Classic (tied with PATF if not beating it) deserves a true ride of some form. Be it a dark ride, a coaster, or what have you. (I’ve came up with ideas for both). Bonus points for incorporating all four films.

And today’s bonus prompt; another IP that has for the longest time needed a true theme park attraction; SpongeBob SquarePants. Why have parks consistently done SpongeBob dirty? At best, it’s a coaster ripped from the show or a 4D film, but it’s usually just flat rides. Where’s SpongeBob’s MV3D, Star Tours, or Pooh’s Hunny Hunt? You be the judge. It’s time to do our Spongey boi proud!
I would love a grand Stitch ride! I think a lot of what makes Lilo & Stitch though is that it is this crazy situation that is shot/paced like something mundane and casual. So, a proper ride would have to strike that same balance. I think a log flume would be the best! Lilo is hosting a tour along a Hawaiin river and through a volcano, but then some Alien shenanigans happen and Stitch has to save us, but not before a big Splash Down! Sorta like a new version of Splash Mountain for Adventureland!

mickeyfan5534

I would love a grand Stitch ride! I think a lot of what makes Lilo & Stitch though is that it is this crazy situation that is shot/paced like something mundane and casual. So, a proper ride would have to strike that same balance. I think a log flume would be the best! Lilo is hosting a tour along a Hawaiin river and through a volcano, but then some Alien shenanigans happen and Stitch has to save us, but not before a big Splash Down! Sorta like a new version of Splash Mountain for Adventureland!
There's already built-in chaos in the world with Stitch's Cousins. With the series on Disney+, I can see some resurgence in Stitch's popularity starting a bit down the road.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
December 15th
Fixing DCA Hollywoodland!

For today, we are gonna work together to come up with ideas for Hollywoodland in DCA! It only has 2 rides: one is GotG and will be in Marvel Land soon, the other is Monsters Inc which has no connection to the Hollywood theme beyond being a movie. The land as a whole is stuck in a sort of limbo between Hollywood that Never Was and Backlot theming.

So, how do we fix it? Improve the Hollywood theme? Lean into the Studio side? Drop the current theme entirely? Just replace some rides and shows with new ones? The blue sky's the limit!​

Miru

Calling for the Muppets! Calling for Walt-era films! The idea of the land is that time effectively progresses forward as you walk. Clock motifs are added, with the cheesy remnants of 1.0 finally eradicated in favor of a more real experience. It’s home to a new Hollywood Tower alongside the Tivan collection, albeit no longer with the Tower of Terror; rather, The Great Muppet Movie Ride is a salute to Walt’s genius, as I mentioned several posts back. Monsters Inc also gets a revamp to remove much of Superstar Limo, and a new exterior that makes it look like you’re entering Pixar offices and then a huge computer. The animation exhibit has been greatly expanded, and has more subjects covered.

Streetmosphere and wandering AAs (Mobile Labs) are present.

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
View attachment 433637

Hosted by Outbound, PerGronStudio, and Pionmycake

The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
is an Armchair Imagineering Competition that began in 2013 on the WDWMagic Forum hosted by jdmdisney99. Inspired by “The Apprentice”, teams strive for victory in a series of unique Imagineering challenges. As we progress from stanza to stanza, contestants are steadily eliminated… until we have only one remaining player, who shall be crowned the “Sorcerer’s Apprentice”.

View attachment 433644
Over the seasons, projects and storylines have combined to form the Sorcerer’s Apprentice Universe (the SAU). They all coexist in this alternate reality… with new attractions, lands, and even resorts!

The past two years have seen Season 4: Homecoming Edition, and Season 5: Endgame. With Season 6: ODYSSEY, we hope to conclude this “trilogy” of Sorcerer’s Apprentice in style. The past five seasons have put the bar up high.

The Story So Far
After a fantastic season of Imagineering two years ago, last year Maleficent and her villainous allies stole Yensid’s Hat and took control of the Disney Parks. It was only through a last-ditch alliance of heroes that we were able to defeat the villains and crown another Sorcerer’s Apprentice.

Now our heroes have united to a formal alliance, the Society of Explorers and Adventurers. With bases at all seven Disney Parks, the world will never be threatened again. And the hat? Well… we have “top men” guarding it.

Today, SEA is recruiting YOU to become a guardian of imagination! Do you have what it takes?

View attachment 433643

Gameplay
Players will be divided into 3 different teams to start the competition. For each challenge, there will be a rotating Project Manager. The Project Manager can be used in any number of ways, anything from leading the project or simply acting as a supporting voice. It is entirely up to the player for that given round.

Once the projects are submitted, the hosts & judges will provide in-depth and helpful feedback to determine the rankings. The losing team’s Project Manager will then nominate three members to enter (along with him or herself) the “Fortress of Fate” and make their case to the judges for remaining in the hunt. As the competition progresses, we will eventually reach the finalists.

Creative Challenges
Season 6 is a “travel heavy” season. As the game progresses, we will steadily traverse the globe, exploring the various exotic and international Disney Parks and Resorts. But be on the lookout for a surprise or two along the way!

Each challenge will be unique, something not seen in past competitions. Additionally, each challenge will be broad enough so that every teammate may contribute. There will be several different possibilities for each challenge!

Vacation Days
Despite our efforts to make each challenge as accessible to contestants as possible, sometimes unavoidable Real World™ obligations can get in the way. For those circumstances, there are Vacation Days.

These are granted to each team at the start of the competition to extend due dates and accommodate for personal schedule conflicts. These days can be used once per round, or you can combine Vacation Days with fellow teammates and extend the due date up to 3 days for a challenge. Only one team can use Vacation Days per challenge, and when a team uses Vacation Days, the due date is extended for all teams. The exact number of Vacation Days granted will be determined later.

More simply put: If you need more time, let us know.

What’s Changed?
Seasons 4 and 5 are magnificent accomplishments, and Season 6 hopes to follow through on their model. However, there will be a few changes. The biggest is faster stanzas. The last two seasons slowed down near their end, so Season 6 hopes to be an overall quicker experience (around a month shorter than prior seasons). This shouldn’t be too noticeable; only a day or two less per stanza. The downside to this is more eliminations this season, but have no fear, eliminated players will still have a chance to partake in the game. More on that later.

As before, this season will include guest judges, an illustrated storyline, helpful hints for each round, and more. But the primary focus will remain on core gameplay, particularly on the wonderful group dynamics which can form after several challenges together. This game is not about creating drama or causing hardships, but about strengthening everyone’s creativity and camaraderie.

EHjYihgRhbY9YRt7FW2LWMtaFQhS4gwa8ZMrEmeL1P5N-UCOcNTlgX8358x78Nob-bzRimviGxGZUwP9SRq1Mp-kMyVErU73U0yO4wb_3dcm9TBzHws7nntmJw5zR_NUFbr6w4-p
qApM2lQeRT6zkt42XVV4Y5trINfnTsBXtjzA7n4UQSvsCtsPP4w3sm8LqB6rolR6eMx3nIfHEwrO2lFfdH6FnQSXy_YQiIR46G28fYKr3hvKCJy212rel5K7fp6Q4-qay0MdwWBP
-104vIR38tCXPlKAiimuwz7SHsfn33nhl4AZMB6yZQ1WmaCIV5jEJgRG7uoO7UViuo9xtR8ap5VN4NnEP5WNmmyFh5a9F-rwiNbj-kELo8bFMaVfVftQM_-uN4gDXI2gHnwZYkVw
o1ELQtMSRmuTDj-uASx2bPTET-DpOd14s00KKdT5E_ld7om20n2gj_tOc22HyJXDlBA9yKsGqQaP_lsupub70vqznf5Q1er6b10oeoenMZB1FjMtzZLcT3PaCJUb1tZMknztbvAt
XIZeTQwsc0KEeS0uh15dpuUx3CyY6pqKVF2vRtAnlY4RusC4Ahvc16cmRWcLQjigbQNvojhXN1FOEoVoKsT7v3HMSwU_qHzRhFgsH3rPnelw5UBSjaVWWIL1VxHKoL9LljPfNbhT
View attachment 433639
Who will fill the sixth slot in the Sorcerer’s Apprentice? A victor from before, to claim superiority over other winners, or in the vein of the latest seasons a new player, seeking to join the champions’ ranks?

Start Date & Sign-Ups
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice Season 6: ODYSSEY begins:

Saturday, February 15th!
(The day after Valentine’s)

In the spirit of the original Disneyland, old school paper FastPasses for the competition are available now.

View attachment 433640

If you know you’re interested and you want to reserve your spot in the competition…

You can reserve a FastPass right now!

15 contestants
is the magic number for the competition, but we are prepared to go above.
Thanks for reading our hype thread, we hope to see you in February!

“This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds. Imagineers: good luck.”
kKEplHiY7-NoV1PP_0N_sM0y361IwPTBU0DpWMKv7_nkC8x3clAGpnE0EagqBPWTbgHbphF3uoTvoK8GJ-VkIePw-429su3yIdLnuRwigdBhMxXeNUYhkVyPAUocx_fBa270vnrr

In case anyone missed it, sign ups and hype for Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 6 has launched! Hosted by @Outbound @PerGronStudio and your's truly.

Be warned though, only sign up if you like things that are cool and fun. If you prefer boring and lame things, this game is not for you :p

Evilgidgit

My idea for the DCA challenge would be to keep Hollywood Boulevard, but change the corner section containing Monsters, Inc., Stage 17 and Stage 12 - and reimagine the area as a subland -- Muppets Courtyard.

Monsters, Inc. becomes the Great Muppet Movie Ride, as it was originally designed and intended over at DHS. Stage 17 becomes a brand new version of Muppet*Vision, with the Muppet Theatre as the facade, complete with a Miss Piggy-themed water fountain, a hot air balloon on the roof, and Gonzo hanging from the theatre's flagpole. The new show would actually be an animatronic and live actor-mixed performance of the Muppet Show, heckled by Statler & Waldorf of course.

Stage 12 to the right of Monsters, Inc. is transformed into a large restaurant, either based around the Swedish Chef, serves as a clone of Pizza Rizzo, or Gonzo has a spaceship-themed restaurant all of his own. All other shops in this little area are reimagined to fit the Muppet Studio theming. Oh, and the Mobile Muppet Labs returns!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom