Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They have realized with the reservation system that if their is an e-mail linked to ticket there is no reason for in person surveys. They just send out online surveys after the ticket passes through the turnstiles. This can't be done at Springs hence they continue to do surveys in person.
They typically know the results of their surveys before they conduct them. They are targeted.

I had some experience in this before the world of smart phones (we had Alpha pagers...anyone ‘member that? State of the art 🤪)...so I doubt the nuts and bolts of it has changed much.

I have a strong feeling that for the next year there is NOTHING to be gained.

maxairmike

10% of the total just from one union/work group at one resort...yikes indeed. Between non-union in FL (23%) and this one union, that's 33% of the total layoff number. This may be more heavily tilted towards CA than I would have initially guessed. Does CA have an equivalent of the FL WARN to get a solid number of how many non-union got hit?

EDIT: Nevermind, misunderstood the number above lol darn ambiguous figures.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You also said they know the results ahead of time... that's the conspiracy, not that they're targeted to a specific concern.
Sorry...let me be painfully clear:

Survey data for the next year will not yield anything that will help them for a strategic financial strategy.

(And questions would still be targeted...and they’d have a “hunch” where they would go 👍🏻)

el_super

I wouldn't completely dismiss this idea. I know it's verging into tinfoil hat territory, but I have my own personal suspicions that part of the delay in releasing guidelines from the state, was Disney's objections to what the original guidelines contained. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they know the number they need to be profitable, and are basically rejecting any proposal below that capacity number.

Well... Chalk one up to the tin foil consortium.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well... Chalk one up to the tin foil consortium.

It doesn't have to be tin foil. Chapek said they wouldn't open a park if it wasn't operationally profitable (ignoring fixed expenses like depreciation).

If the CA guidelines were so restrictive that only 1,000 people could attend, for example, and that number wasn't enough to meet the operationally profitable standard, then the park wouldn't open.

el_super

It doesn't have to be tin foil. Chapek said they wouldn't open a park if it wasn't operationally profitable (ignoring fixed expenses like depreciation).

Yeah, that seems pretty sensible. The conspiracy theory is a question of whether Newsom wasn't responsible for the delay in releasing the guidance, but rather Disney (maybe Iger) pushed and pressured him not to release them as they were written, hoping for something more favorable.

Disney then ended up playing both sides, and using the delay in order to push out the layoffs and blame the governor.

Goofyernmost

Sure. But that doesn’t mean borders are closed or that people can’t travel. That’s what I was referring too.
Yes, you can travel, but if you are from a state that says that if you go to a place, like Florida, when you return you will be quarantined for 14 days. That puts a damper on any trip.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

If the CA guidelines were so restrictive that only 1,000 people could attend, for example, and that number wasn't enough to meet the operationally profitable standard, then the park wouldn't open.
Gonna be a much bigger number than yn’at

t3techcom18

To recap/put things into a perspective from things I've heard, the following departments were impacted drastically at WDW today:

- Photopass
- Guest Relations
- DVC reps
- Mid-level management, the Guest Experience Managers (aka front-line's bosses)
- Backstage data operations

Lastly, according to peeps, the Minnie Vans are no more, as in the entire cast who wasn't management was laid off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom