Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

UNCgolf

This argument can go on forever... because people will keep talking past each other.

Did Bob Iger say they were going to zero out virtually ALL performance based entertainment at WDW? No.. but that's essentially what has been done right now. Example.. Plans to eliminate streetmosphere or reduce show counts... is not on the same level of closing essentially every live performance including fixed theatre shows... which is where we are at.

So one can't really take the line of 'this isn't a response to COVID'. Because they aren't doing a reduction - they've essentially zero'd it all out. And unless someone can validate that's really what Disney's end game was back at the start of the FY.. then there really is a reaction to COVID element.

"cuts were planned" - is a whole range of 1% to 100%... without talking about how much, it's real convenient to blanket claim 'planned cuts' could be anything?

I didn't mean to imply that it was completely isolated from COVID (I think I said that some of it was related), although I can see why what I wrote sounds like that. As you said, I'm sure they weren't planning to completely zero out all the entertainment offerings -- you'd think, at the very least, some of the shows would have stayed open. But some of the cuts just look like an accelerated continuation of what's been going on for the past few years.

The more important point was that Disneyland being open would have made very little difference. It's entirely possible, and maybe even likely, that they would still be losing money with Disneyland open (because of the reduced capacity) -- it would just be less money than they're currently losing. That still helps, of course, but I don't see how anyone can look at the current situation and think Disneyland being open would magically make everything fine and thus these cuts wouldn't be happening. Sure, they may have been reduced to an extent, but I think the vast majority would have happened regardless.

disneyflush

Not in California. That state is hurting Disney, Universal and Seaworld. The losses of fixed costs by all three companies has to come from their Orlando operations. Therefore it is the California Democrats hurting the people of Florida.

You're better than this post. COVID itself is causing all this. The government of California is trying to deal with COVID the best it can. Making a virus response fit into a political agenda is desperate and lazy. Definitely misjudged you.

DG32

1) DL, not WDW
2) No picketing
3) Your saying they should not have closed the parks speaks volumes on how you perceive the threat

1) I said Disneyland.
2) It's a figure of speech.
3) Yes it does, and extremely intentionally so. A virus with an overall 99.99% survival rate is literally next to zero threat whatsoever.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I didn't mean to imply that it was completely isolated from COVID (I think I said that some of it was related), although I can see why what I wrote sounds like that. As you said, I'm sure they weren't planning to completely zero out all the entertainment offerings -- you'd think, at the very least, some of the shows would have stayed open. But some of the cuts just look like an accelerated continuation of what's been going on for the past few years.

I'm still trying to grasp what the long term impact on this is.. in terms of Disney's ability to be able to ramp back up.

Where will these people go when pushed out by Disney? Will they abandon their fields completely? It's not like there is big competition they can all flock to.

So how hard will it be to replace these folks or get them back in the future?

The more important point was that Disneyland being open would have made very little difference. It's entirely possible, and maybe even likely, that they would still be losing money with Disneyland open (because of the reduced capacity) -- it would just be less money than they're currently losing. That still helps, of course, but I don't see how anyone can look at the current situation and think Disneyland being open would magically make everything fine and thus these cuts wouldn't be happening. Sure, they may have been reduced to an extent, but I think the vast majority would have happened regardless.
I think Disneyland still makes a huge impact... it's a large amount of revenue and profit the division is missing out on. Even if WDW were firing on all cylinders... if DLR were closed, there would be impacts at WDW because at the end of the day, they have to try to hit their targets. And lobbing off 20% or whatever will cause efforts to try to make up for that.

It's certainly a nice token flag to wave to say how TWDC is being 'held back' and justify their numbers without having to attack safety standards or customers for not showing up. In short.. it's a convenient scapegoat that has merit, but of course isn't the sole reason. It just makes for good PR and allows Disney to defer some of the blame away from itself when it comes to labor.

But the WDW resort problem is the bigger scale problem of course. Disneyland won't wag that dog.

eliza61nyc

1) I said Disneyland.
2) It's a figure of speech.
3) Yes it does, and extremely intentionally so. A virus with an overall 99.99% survival rate is literally next to zero threat whatsoever.
lmao, this made me giggle. there are many things in life that are survivable, (gunshots, knifing, car accidents, hurricanes, flu, I could go on) does not mean we don't have to have restrictions or controls.
I've seen some of the "survivors" of covid, not really an example I'd want to follow.

Keep it shut

kayaknc56

You're better than this post. COVID itself is causing all this. The government of California is trying to deal with COVID the best it can. Making a virus response fit into a political agenda is desperate and lazy. Definitely misjudged you.
Nope sorry, governments response has been to lock down, which has caused more pain than the actual threat. No balance or risk based decision-making at play. Lock downs as we have done have never been tried before and the data proves most of the lock down actions governments have taken have not worked. Sweden is exhibit A on what does work.

ImperfectPixie

Nope sorry, governments response has been to lock down, which has caused more pain than the actual threat. No balance or risk based decision-making at play. Lock downs as we have done have never been tried before and the data proves most of the lock down actions governments have taken have not worked. Sweden is exhibit A on what does work.
You're wrong. They were used during the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918, so they've been proven to work. Both schools and businesses closed...and guess what...people were told to wear masks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Which is why Germany is locking down again on Monday, France will announce its new lockdown date tonight, Wales is currently locked down and the rest of the UK has a regional lockdown strategy.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

It's certainly a nice token flag to wave to say how TWDC is being 'held back' and justify their numbers without having to attack safety standards or customers for not showing up. In short.. it's a convenient scapegoat that has merit, but of course isn't the sole reason. It just makes for good PR and allows Disney to defer some of the blame away from itself when it comes to labor.

But the WDW resort problem is the bigger scale problem of course. Disneyland won't wag that dog.

That's the main thing to me. Disneyland relies far more heavily on locals than Disney World. They don't have a ton of hotels that normally bring in huge amounts of money -- although I can't say I know for sure, I'm almost positive that the WDW resorts make far more money for Disney than anything that goes on in the parks themselves.

My understanding is that Disney doesn't make that much money off admission tickets anyways, and Disneyland has a huge number of local passholders. I would assume those people tend to spend less on merchandise than the kind of guests Disney World typically gets as well, although that could be wrong. So when you add all that up and also factor in the reduced capacity, it's hard to see Disneyland having any kind of major impact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom