20K Lagoon Rumor

raven

Here is a stipulation to the Disney ideas that we never think about: money!

All of these huge mountain rides, erupting valcanos, bobsleds, water-going vessels and indoor attractions take a lot of money. As guests, we tend to think that Disney can just dream up something and poof, it's done. This isn't how a normal company thinks.

Even though that you and I have some wonderful ideas about what would be cool for a certain area of a park, WE are not the imagineers. WE do not know the money that is alocated for such an attraction.

As much as I wold love to see more thrilling rides, shows and parades for the parks, I also know that they are working withing their budget. Just wait and see what the imagineers will come up with next. It will probably be something really cool we don't even have a clue about. This is just the way they work. :animwink:

Lee

Adventurer
Actually, Matterhorn type rides were designed for both Epcot and the Disney-MGM Studios.
Neither was built, obviously.
The one in Epcot would have gone into a proposed Swiss pavillion, the one at MGM would have been part of a backlot tour.

Why were they never built? The Swiss never coughed up the dough for a pavillion, and that area of MGM was redesigned.

Why not one in MK? Don't know.

imagineer boy

Originally posted by Expo_Seeker40
Why did WDW never get a Matterhorn Mountain? I think that should go in there, and it too can be more thrilling, and better detailed than the original at Disneyland.

Because Space Mountain was supposed to be the WDW version of the matterhorn. It became so popular, that DL got a space Mountain too.

Lee

Adventurer
Actually, I never understood that line of thought.
Space Mountain was originally designed for Disneyland, but was dropped during the "World on the Move" makeover of the late 60's. But would have shown up there eventually.
It appeared first at WDW, but the only relationship to Matterhorn, was that they knew they needed a thrill ride. John Hench's Space Mountain idea was dusted off.
I have actually seen some people claim that Space Mountain is a Matterhorn clone.:hammer:

Figment1986

The Matterhorn has 2 tracks which intertwine withe each other. WDW's Space Mt. was two tracks which intertwine with each other.

The rest of the Space Mt's have only one track.

raven

Originally posted by Figment1986
The Matterhorn has 2 tracks which intertwine withe each other. WDW's Space Mt. was two tracks which intertwine with each other.

The rest of the Space Mt's have only one track.

They are still different from each other.

MartyMouse

A Matterhorn type ride at Disney/MGM????
I kept a keen eye open back when they were building that park (this was before the internet mind you) and never heard about this til now.

Can you fill me in???

What was it going to be like???

StevenT

Originally posted by Lee
Noticed all that construction going on at Animal Kingdom?

Bingo.

I've never thought of Everest that way, but it being sort of a state of the art Matterhorn makes perfect sense, and makes me all the more anxious for it's opening :D

PeterAlt

Originally posted by MartyMouse
A Matterhorn type ride at Disney/MGM????
I kept a keen eye open back when they were building that park (this was before the internet mind you) and never heard about this til now.

Can you fill me in???

What was it going to be like???

Yes, I remember reading a recent interview with Al Weiss (President of WDW). In it, he says he kept pushing for a Matterhorn ride at the Magic Kingdom, but it was never approved. Next, he pushed for it at EPCOT at a Swiss pavillion, or a Mt. Fuji as an extension to the Japanese pavillion. When these weren't approved, he pushed for a Matterhorn ride at MGM, but that wasn't approved either. (He didn't go into details about the proposed MGM Matterhorn ride). Next, he tried again, but this time at Animal Kingdom. This bigger, grandier version, as you know got approved and is under construction.

Lee

Adventurer
I had a photo of an early model of the Studio park with a Matterhorn-like mountain in the backlot area, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, from what I know, it was only going to be half a mountain, with the backside open so you could see the coaster inside. Sort of like Catastrophe Canyon.
The reason for this? Something to do with making it like a movie set.
Sounds odd to me though.

Nunis (former Pres. of the resort) tried his best to get a Matterhorn for Magic Kingdom. It was gonna go where Toontown Fair is now. The railroad would go through the middle, where it would encounter a raging snow storm.
The ride never happened, but look for the snow storm on Everest.

ImagineerFan04

thanks for the info lee.:sohappy: :wave: :D

Peter where did you read that artical i would like to read it if you can find a web page it's on.Thanks

jrriddle

Originally posted by Lee
I had a photo of an early model of the Studio park with a Matterhorn-like mountain in the backlot area, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, from what I know, it was only going to be half a mountain, with the backside open so you could see the coaster inside. Sort of like Catastrophe Canyon.
The reason for this? Something to do with making it like a movie set.
Sounds odd to me though.

Nunis (former Pres. of the resort) tried his best to get a Matterhorn for Magic Kingdom. It was gonna go where Toontown Fair is now. The railroad would go through the middle, where it would encounter a raging snow storm.
The ride never happened, but look for the snow storm on Everest.

This is what I read as well, Jim Hill had a story on The Mountains of WDW and he mentioned the half mountain movie set at MGM.
I've never seen a picture, Thanks!

jrriddle

Originally posted by ImagineerFan04
thanks for the info lee.:sohappy: :wave: :D

Peter where did you read that artical i would like to read it if you can find a web page it's on.Thanks

This isn't the article Peter mentions but it covers alot of what he is talking about: Jimhillmedia.com- Why For?- December 13, 2002.
Peter, if you can find it I would like to read it as well.
Thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom