2022 Box Office Tracking

Disney Analyst

The gist seems to be it’s corny, but doesn’t try to take itself too serious

Which is basically the classic 1980’s blockbuster formula that Hollywood - as some of the better critics point out - has gotten away from unintentionally.

The only downside I’ve seen so far is that it seems the music is a bit of a mess…which was huge for the original.

Top gun was not a good script…but the whole package was perfect. Even trying to get kelly McGillis to not make cruise look short 😂

What I’m seeing here is the story/script is actually better this time…very ESB esque.

Everything I've seen online has been praising the soundtrack 😅

What am I missing?

NateD1226

Original Poster
It was a record-setting weekend at the box office, as Top Gun: Maverick has the best Memorial Day opening with an opening gross of $156M over the 4-day weekend. The three-day total stands at around $126.7M. This is a huge win for Tom Cruise and Paramount, as this is Paramount's 5th #1 opening this year and Cruise's highest opening ever. Globally, Top Gun 2 pulled in $248 million this weekend. The Bob’s Burgers Movie also did quite well against a major blockbuster. The film opened at $12.4M over the three-day course and a $14.8M total for the four-day course.

As for this coming Friday, no huge releases due to it being in between Top Gun and the full-blown June lineup that includes Jurassic World 3, Lightyear, Elvis, and The Black Phone.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s nearly impossible for modern Hollywood to make a sequel to an action movie in its current form without treating its audience like they’re either completely stupid or can’t make fun of themselves

Maverick nailed it. We won’t see something like this again for along time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Doctor Strange is closing in on $900M, which was my prediction based on it's CineScore of B+.

Based on Top Gun's score of A+, it should make about $1.2 - $1.5 Billion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Doctor Strange is closing in on $900M, which was my prediction based on it's CineScore of B+.

Based on Top Gun's score of A+, it should make about $1.2 - $1.5 Billion.
Not sure about top gun…though it’s twice the movie dr strange is and 10x the movie Spider-Man was…

Top gun may have a hard time due to its “nato friendly” genre

…as it should be though. I half expected Chuck Norris to show up and rescue the hostages.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maverick is about to roar past doctor strange in maybe 25 or so days???

Feel good movie of the decade - so far. It’s been a rather ty decade to this point 💩

NateD1226

Original Poster
I apologize for not updating, as I have been really busy as of late. However, this was a big weekend, so I had to make sure I got an update in. Jurassic World Dominion earned a massive $143.37M opening weekend total. Even though the film is the worst-reviewed in the franchise, the film is a hit with audiences. As for the other films, there is starting to be a battle between the films. As stated in the thread already, Top Gun Maverick is about $4M away from beating DSMOM. Top Gun will most likely pass it up before Friday. The two films are also close to $1B. While it is uncertain if the two films will pass the mark, they will surely get close.

As for this coming Friday, Disney enters the ring with Lightyear! However, it may not open as big as Disney is hoping, as they are splitting the premium screens with Jurassic World 3. That is why tickets barely went on sale just a few days ago. At my local theaters, JW3 has all the evening screenings, while Lightyear is stuck with the morning/afternoon. It will be interesting to see if this affects the film.

1.) Jurassic World Dominion (Uni) 4,676 theaters, Fri $59.7M, Sat $46.7M, Sun $36.9M, 3-day $143.37M/Wk 1

2.) Top Gun: Maverick (Par) 4,262 (-489) theaters, Fri $14.1M, Sat $20.1M, Sun $15.8M 3-day $50M (-44%), Total $393.3M/Wk 3

3.) Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Dis) 3,345 (-420) theaters, Fri $1.38M, Sat $2M, Sun $1.4M, 3-day $4.9M (-46%)/Total $397.8M/Wk 6

4.) Bob’s Burgers Movie (20th/Dis) 2,605 (-820) theaters, Fri $698K, Sat $943K, Sun $697K, 3-Day $2.33M (-49%), Total $27M/Wk 3

5.) The Bad Guys (Uni) 2,416 (-456) theaters, Fri $670K, Sat $930K, Sun $650K, 3-day $2.25M (-33%), Total $91.5M/Wk 8

6.) Downton Abbey- A New Era (Foc) 2,011 (-1,460) theaters, Fri $500K, Sat $640K, Sun $510K, 3-day $1.65M (-48%), Total $40M/Wk 4

7.) Everything Everywhere All at Once (A24) 1,434 (0) theaters, Fri $359K, Sat $507K , Sun $405K, 3-day $1.27M (-37%), Total $63M/Wk 12

8.) Firestarter (Uni) 150 (-193) theaters, Fri $330K, Sat $340K, Sun $150K, 3-day $820K (+720%), Total $9.2M/Wk 5

9.) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Par) 1,067 (-1,025) theaters Fri $190K, Sat $290K, Sun $230K, 3-day $710K (-58%), Total $189.8M/Wk 10

10.) Ante Sundharaniki (Ind) 350 theaters, Fri $213K, Sat $240K, Sun $168K, 3-day $620K/Wk 1

11.) The Lost City (Par) 353 (-458) theaters, Fri $190K (-54%), Sat $220K, Sun $140K, 3-day $550K (-60%), Total $104.95M/Wk 12

12.) Crimes of the Future(NEON) 712 (-61) theaters, Fri $115K, Sat $149K, Sun $111,7K, 3-day $375,7K (-66%)/Total: $2M/Wk 2

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s amazing Mav beat doctor strange already (in North America…by dinner today). But it’s a pretty memorable movie.

At the end of the day…Jurassic park/buzz/Thor are gonna cannibalize each other a good bit…and paramount is gonna come out smelling like a rose offering the “real stunts”/broader audience film with some legs.

NateD1226

Original Poster
At the end of the day…Jurassic park/buzz/Thor are gonna cannibalize each other a good bit…and paramount is gonna come out smelling like a rose offering the “real stunts”/broader audience film with some legs.
I agree. Paramount has had an amazing year so far, with Scream, Jackass, The Lost City, and Top Gun all being major hits for their respective franchises/genres. Even though the three other films they have this year are bit smaller, I think they could get a hit out of at least one of them.

Their upcoming slate is even bigger, though. A new Scream installment, a new Transformers flick, the start of their new Dungeons & Dragons franchise, MI:7, and a possible new Star Trek film are all coming out next year. It may not have the highest-grossing films ever made, but Paramount does have some incredible films.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree. Paramount has had an amazing year so far, with Scream, Jackass, The Lost City, and Top Gun all being major hits for their respective franchises/genres. Even though the three other films they have this year are bit smaller, I think they could get a hit out of at least one of them.

Their upcoming slate is even bigger, though. A new Scream installment, a new Transformers flick, the start of their new Dungeons & Dragons franchise, MI:7, and a possible new Star Trek film are all coming out next year. It may not have the highest-grossing films ever made, but Paramount does have some incredible films.
They are well run at this point…by Eric from Head of the Class 😂

But the other thing I like about them is their stewardship of Star Trek on streaming.

Picard was a bad idea and sucks…but the others have been good and smartly put together. The “rival” results have been more mixed.

NateD1226

Original Poster
2 new updates...

As suspected, Top Gun: Maverick is now the highest-grossing film of the year. In my personal opinion, I think the film will stay the highest until Black Panther 2 in November. I don't see Thor 4 going this high, and DC is not definitely not going to reach these heights with Black Adam.

As for this coming Friday, Lightyear is not planning on doing anything stellar. I mentioned it on Sunday, but the film does not feel like a hit, and it does not help that JW3 is taking up some of the big screens. I am sure it will do decently overall, but I would definitely keep your eye on this film. Especially since there is some big twist that will supposedly get people talking.

Last edited:

Ripken10

2 new updates...

As suspected, Top Gun: Maverick is not the highest-grossing film of the year. In my personal opinion, I think the film will stay the highest until Black Panther 2 in November. I don't see Thor 4 going this high, and DC is not definitely not going to reach these heights with Black Adam.

As for this coming Friday, Lightyear is not planning on doing anything stellar. I mentioned it on Sunday, but the film does not feel like a hit, and it does not help that JW3 is taking up some of the big screens. I am sure it will do decently overall, but I would definitely keep your eye on this film. Especially since there is some big twist that will supposedly get people talking.

I know I read somewhere (possibly here, but too lazy to check) that this was pixars first take at IMAX screens. I didn't fact check this, but it does make for an interesting take on this if true. I agree with what your saying, but if it is the first in IMAX, it could inflate the numbers some (less tickets sold will equate to higher box office opening weekend potentially).

I honestly have gotten less excited about this movie as its gotten closer. Perhaps because there is other things I want to see, or the fact like I feel like I don't need to see this in theaters and can wait the much shorter window for it to come to my home. I think there is other reasons as well for me personally, the more I see of trailers it just seems off from the world of Toy Story. Perhaps the movie will surprise.

Ripken10

I know I read somewhere (possibly here, but too lazy to check) that this was pixars first take at IMAX screens. I didn't fact check this, but it does make for an interesting take on this if true. I agree with what your saying, but if it is the first in IMAX, it could inflate the numbers some (less tickets sold will equate to higher box office opening weekend potentially).

I honestly have gotten less excited about this movie as its gotten closer. Perhaps because there is other things I want to see, or the fact like I feel like I don't need to see this in theaters and can wait the much shorter window for it to come to my home. I think there is other reasons as well for me personally, the more I see of trailers it just seems off from the world of Toy Story. Perhaps the movie will surprise.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Kinda recent Pixar, no?

Sequelpalooza
Not really. Except for Cars, the sequels have done very well, as well as the original films.

We don't have enough audience reviews yet for their score. The few on RT are rating as the best movie ever, and on IMDB it's obviously being bombed for the gay part. Once there's over 100K reviewers, we'll get a real sense of the audience. Also, it's CineScore is yet to be published.

1655397385799.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not really. Except for Cars, the sequels have done very well, as well as the original films.

We don't have enough audience reviews yet for their score. The few on RT are rating as the best movie ever, and on IMDB it's obviously being bombed for the gay part. Once there's over 100K reviewers, we'll get a real sense of the audience. Also, it's CineScore is yet to be published.

View attachment 646227
Right…I meant theyre mostly pumping out sequels…recent D+ releases being notable exceptions

…nice chart, by the way 👍🏻

NateD1226

Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom