2021 Box Office Tracking

Jedijax719

Perhaps other movies will be helped out by the people who show up at a theater this weekend and find there are no tickets available for No Way Home, and so, they go to their second choice!
I think this always happens. I know it helps other movies in the same genre for sure. Not sure if, next weekend, it will help movies like West Side Story though. But WSS may have VERY long legs.

Eternals may get a boost next weekend due to the very thing you mentioned.

tcool123

I think this always happens. I know it helps other movies in the same genre for sure. Not sure if, next weekend, it will help movies like West Side Story though. But WSS may have VERY long legs.

Maybe some theaters are doing a MCU double feature with Eternals and Spider Man as well? Not sure if they will given it’s two studios but it’s a possibility as well.

doctornick

My gut feeling is that Ghostbusters would benefit from that phenomenon more than Eternals.

NateD1226

Original Poster
Like mentioned above, it could be a MCU double feature. Although, with the Disney+ announcement date, I am not sure how many people would go see a film they can watch for free in less than a month (if they have Disney+ of course).

Jedijax719

Like mentioned above, it could be a MCU double feature. Although, with the Disney+ announcement date, I am not sure how many people would go see a film they can watch for free in less than a month (if they have Disney+ of course).
Good point. It will be out right after the holidays. I guess, let's just focus on NWH lol. It's going to be the most fun watching box office run-most fun for any film in the past 2 years.

seascape

The biggest problem the studios face is not the box office, it's the production costs. Specifically the money paid to the actors, directors and everone else. It is time for those in the induatry to take a hair cut on their pay and the studios to realize they will no longer make tens of millions in profits from the box office. Make movies should cost 50 million not 100 to 200 million. Make that back at the box office and then streaming and TV will provide reasonable profits. No Actor or Studio should make as much as they did in 2019. Plus if movies cost less to make ticket prices could be more adfordable.

Jedijax719

due to the pandemic, i’m guessing anywhere from $80-100 mil. i’d like to be wrong.
For opening weekend? Or are you meaning opening day? It's already made half of that from Thursday preview pre-sales alone. Previews will be between $45-$50 million, maybe higher.

NateD1226

Original Poster
Deadline has narrowed their opening weekend predictions for SM:NWH to $135M-$155M. This could change in Wednesday’s prediction.

Jedijax719

Deadline has narrowed their opening weekend predictions for SM:NWH to $135M-$155M. This could change in Wednesday’s prediction.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I think Deadline is overestimating the opening DAY a tad bit. I think the opening day will be closer to $110-$115 million.

Oh, that was the WEEKEND they were talking about!!! (j/k-I know, I read it). Well, they are only off by about $100 million. Not bad.

Truth is, we might actually get an opening weekend under $220 million. We'll have to see what happens as we get closer!

My prediction:
Thursday previews: $50 million
Friday: $60 million
Saturday: $65 million
Sunday: $55 million
Opening Weekend: $230 million
Domestic total: $630 million

Last edited:

BrianLo

No way will it be the number four opening weekend of all time. Maybe in a non-pandemic year, but there is still too much drag theatrically.

Screen counts and capacity are still down.

NateD1226

Original Poster
"Sony/Marvel’s Spider-Man: No Way Home is slinging up mega numbers in its early overseas play. The full Wednesday launch in 15 markets has come in at $43.6M. The Jon Watts-directed film has also set multiple records, and is looking to blow past industry projections for the weekend. Domestic previews start today."

Country breakdowns in the article...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom