2019 Box Office tracking

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes but the writer of that article didn't enjoy Rise of Skywalker, being he was a Last Jedi fan. He actually likes Last Jedi more than Empire Strikes back, which is insanity!!!

Star Wars 9 is showing pretty decent legs, and will cross a billion very shortly. The fandom menace tried to take the movie down, and showed that they have much less power than they thought.

Ummm...that’s actually not how it’s tracking - relatively speaking...

But on another note: I used to see live In the late 90’s with about 200 people in the crowd...good times

mikejs78

Premium Member
Ummm...that’s actually not how it’s tracking - relatively speaking...

But on another note: I used to see live In the late 90’s with about 200 people in the crowd...good times
Actually, it is how it's tracking. It had a better than expected weekend internationally, had a lower drop from weekend one to weekend two than TLJ did, and is expected to begin outpacing TLJ in the next couple of days.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A movie can be financially successful but still not live up to expectations. If Endgame only made a billion dollars it would have been financially successful but well below what the capstone of the MCU should make at that point.

Justice League may have turned a profit but it was a massive disappointment for WB.

That's called a mixed reception. The BO is not in deficit, but it's not a runaway smashing hit breaking records. And yes, that can be disappointing considering the franchise's pedigree... until you remember how the prequel trilogy did worse.

The overall rating from critics and audience isn't "hated it" but it isn't universally "loved it, it's the best!!!". There is a middle ground. Extremists can't see it.

The people who are saying "it's not a failure" are rebutting those who say it definitely is a failure. They're the ones who can't see the mixed results but want to paint the picture as a failure by moving the goal posts to "must make record profits, or, it's a disaster... thus confirming our opinions!"

The people who say that audience didn't hate it are rebutting those who say it is universally reviled BY EVERYONE!!! Even though surveys and polls show that's not the case.

It would have been nice for the sequel trilogy to have been as good as the end of Marvel Phase 3. It wasn't. But that doesn't make it a complete failure. It's really, really, really hard to do what Marvel did. If it wasn't that hard, all other movie studios would be easily and often having the same success.

Disney Lucasfilm has done as well as Disney Animation Studio with critics, with the audience, and financially; and much, much better than Disney Studios Live Action. You want to talk about a movie studio that has more misses than successes... look to Disney Studios, not Disney-Lucasfilm. But where's the call for Alan Horn to be fired over the train wreck of The Nutcracker and the Four Realms? Oh, yeah, the haters are going to move the goal post to Endgame territory and pretend the rest of moviedom doesn't exist.

So, don't confuse those of us who rebut the extremist haters who bend reality to appease their confirmation bias. It's that bending of reality that's being challenged. Except for some reality-adjacent posters who go to the opposite extreme, rebutting one extreme doesn't make the challenger a champion of the opposite extreme.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
SO close to the end of 2019's tracking!

I'm holding off the regular update until the finals from year end are in; this may be January 1st or 2nd for newer movies but will likely be a few days after that for movies later on in their run. I'll do some kind of wrap up after that.

New tracking for 2020 will be set up on the 1st - see you all there next year!

jt04

Dom BO for TRoS looks to be mid to upper 400s through the 3rd weekend. There is no way it only does 50 more after that as some claim. Amazingly the foreign take is outpacing North America. I guess as more people overseas become familiar with the franchise.

Last edited:

jt04

SO close to the end of 2019's tracking!

I'm holding off the regular update until the finals from year end are in; this may be January 1st or 2nd for newer movies but will likely be a few days after that for movies later on in their run. I'll do some kind of wrap up after that.

New tracking for 2020 will be set up on the 1st - see you all there next year!

Looking forward to your 2019 summary. And your 2020 reports. Happy New Year!

PS- my new years resolution is to keep this thread on track.

Ripken10

We know how big a year Disney had, but I thought this was funny. The difference between Disney this year and Warner Bros (finished with the second highest total for a studio) is 2.2 billion dollars. That difference would have been good enough for the 6th biggest year for any studio. If you took Warner Bros total from this year and added in their best year ever (sum of two years) it still would not equal Disney this year. WB, Sony and Universal combined this year (4.1 billion) is just a shade higher than Disney alone this year.

This is where it worries me. I think Disney's success has overshadowed huge issues with the box office. There is ebbs and flows with studios, but never has a studio dominated this much at the box office, and few could argue that Disney's movie lineup is going to be able to do as much this year (as they focus more on Disney+, not that their lineup is bad, it just isn't the storm of movies that caused the box office it did this year), will this result in a very troubling year this year (or will people disperse more to other movies).

Here is what I mean. Disney ended up with the top 6 movies in 2019. Some will look at Disney's 2020 lineup and not see a movie that could crack into that top 6 had it released this year (I still wonder which of the other studios movies will breakout to beat those 6...I am sure one will, but it really isn't that easy to pick which ones). 2019s top 6 movies accounted for over 27% of the total box office. That is huge, by far the biggest percentage we have ever seen the top 6 movies take (Until this year, 2015 had the highest percentage of the top 6 movies at 25.3%). 2019 had the 3rd biggest box office for a single year, but if you took out the top 6 movies each year from the total box office for each year 2019 would have the lowest box office over the last 11 years.

I just think it's not a good sign when so few movies hold such a large percentage (forget studio for now), because what happens when their is not huge box office movie in give timeframe?

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
While there are still some final numbers trickling in from a few studios there won't be anything that shakes up our year end figures.

For 2019 Disney saw a lot of strong performances in a year of many other studios stumbling a bit. A marked improvement from their 2018 results that contained the under-performance or low-end expectations of many movies. This past year, while in total a good year, saw far more studios with those under-preforming stats on movies nearly across the board.

Disney released 10 movies this year (discounting the Fox acquisition) over 5 different sub-studios: 5 under themselves as Disney, 2 from Marvel Studios, and 1 each from DisneyNature, Pixar, and Lucasfilm. Many are placing the success this year on films like Avengers: Endgame, but even excluding the movies not directly released under Disney and only crediting them with their 5 in-house branded movies they still would have made 1557.4 million dollars ... edged out of their #1 place by less than 5 million by Warner Bros., a studio with 20 releases in 2019. As for everything else: Endgame could have captured the #5 studio slot by itself, they averaged 367.5m per movie (407.4m with the 7.7m Penguins excluded), and they released both the highest grossing live action film of all time and highest grossing animated film of all time (though they are still trying really hard not to call Lion King animated - it still counts).

This is an absolutely ridiculous run to compare anything to. And it's not a feat that's likely to be repeated soon. It's likely going to be 5 years or more before any studio, even Disney, has a genuine chance to try this again. The dominance they've had this past 2 years is likely coming to an end. While Disney's 2019 has been a year of both bringing things to a close and going back to well trod paths, their 2020 slate goes some uncharted directions ... but we'll save that for the 2020 box office thread.

Last year they broke the 3 billion domestic year. This year Disney made $3,764,869,434 domestically (over 10.5 billion world wide) overtaking that record by a margin of over 20%. They had 33.5% of the entire market share of all domestic box office sales in 2019; besides Disney only Warner Bros. has ever captured more than 20% of the market in a given year and that was in 2009.

It's been a wild year folks, thanks everybody for going along on this weird journey.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you count all the Fox movies, Disney put out about 13 films.

In 2019, there were about 120 films that made $10 million or more (and many more that didn't hit that mark).

So, of all the "major" movies released in 2019, Disney (with Fox) released only about 20% of all films.

So, all that B.O. "dominance" isn't from making any where near a majority of all films. It's from making most of them very popular.

The other 80% of the market could have done the same. And they'd be owning 80% of the B.O.... but they didn't. Here's an idea for them: make more movies more people will pay to see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom