2019 Box Office tracking

seascape

Through Sundays estimated box office Disney's worldeide total is now $6.65 billion. Therefore as expected after adding in they carrier over movies from last year, Glass's foreign distribution and 7 million from Penguins, Disney is less than 500 million away from the all time record. There is almost no doubt they will get that much over the next 10 days.

As for the records, besides Endgame finally passing Avatar, Aladdin is only 11.16 million away from becoming Disney's third billion dollar movie. Toy Story is only 140.6 million away and Lion King is 470 million away.
As usual Disney underestimated their box office receipts. Through Sunday they were acrally 6.6657 billion in receipts. As Hollywood Reporter said today they are only days away from brea3the alltime yearly record. I believe they won't break it until next weekend buy you never know. Disney is having the most amazing yeat ever and if you counted Fox they may have already broke the record.

jt04

As usual Disney underestimated their box office receipts. Through Sunday they were acrally 6.6657 billion in receipts. As Hollywood Reporter said today they are only days away from brea3the alltime yearly record. I believe they won't break it until next weekend buy you never know. Disney is having the most amazing yeat ever and if you counted Fox they may have already broke the record.

They definitely have figured out the formula. Iger said years ago that they were going to focus on tent pole event movies and they have done just that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They definitely have figured out the formula. Iger said years ago that they were going to focus on tent pole event movies and they have done just that.

I'd like to see the source of that quote.

Also, Queen of Katwe isn't a tentpole movie.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Two weeks later and more of the same. Endgame is still falling short of the all-time record.

TS4 has already made a profit. Aladdin, more so. Rocketman, too.

Pets2 finally turned profitable, but probably won't do much more.

Godzilla, Dark Phoenix, MiB:I are still in the red and will stay that way (along with Dumbo).

Spider-Man:FFH became profitable its first week with good scores all around.

The MCU will make about $5 Billion in Box Office with three movies in one year (but remember, big budgets, so, that's only half a billion in profits... for just the theatrical window). Imagine what it could have done if there wasn't all this superhero fatigue!! ;)

TS4 looks like it's heading for the Billion Dollar Club along with Aladdin and Far From Home. TS4 still has international markets to open in.

And because it's still opening in international markets, Pets2 is starting to make a fair profit.

Godzilla, Dark Phoenix, MiB, Dumbo are now done and permanently in the red for the theatrical window.

Rocketman keeps pulling in a few million extra profit.

Jedijax719

TLK had a shockingly low number of IMAX 3D showings. Actually, theaters with that format have only had 1 showing per day for TLK. That had to have affected the numbers quite a bit.

Some say that IMAX 2D outsells IMAX 3D. Quite honestly, I have no idea why since watching something IMAX 2D is a massive strain on the eyes.

Darkprime

TLK had a shockingly low number of IMAX 3D showings. Actually, theaters with that format have only had 1 showing per day for TLK. That had to have affected the numbers quite a bit.

Some say that IMAX 2D outsells IMAX 3D. Quite honestly, I have no idea why since watching something IMAX 2D is a massive strain on the eyes.

Do you mean 3D? 2D shouldn't cause eye strain.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Do you mean 3D? 2D shouldn't cause eye strain.

With 2D, you're focusing on a giant screen close to you. With most 3D movies, the depth occurs 'behind' the screen and so you're focusing on things 'farther away' which is more relaxing for the eyes.

seascape

Fox and Fox Searchlight have been the big disappointment this year. They are down $564.3 million from last year according to boxofficemojo.com. In fact they are behind every year on the comparison table. The year is still not hopeless (yes it is) but it will be very difficult to catch up to last years total of 1.227 billion (it is impossible). On the otherhand with half the year just about in, their 278 million dollar domestic gross through will be July 21 will be easy to beat next year. The good news is Disney's box office is so strong they should be able to more than make up Fox's shortfall this year and that they didn't buy Fox for this years slate of movies.

seascape

Boxofficemojo updated the worldwide Lion King number through yesterday. So now they have the 6 international movies box office at 6.8461 billion. That does not include the carrier over movies or Aladdin's, Toy Story's and Endgame's Monday through Wednesday's international numbers. Based on all the information available it looks like Sunday, July 28, 2019 will be the day Disney breaks the worldwide box office yearly record of 7.61 billion. That means 156 more days to add to the record.

Tony Perkis

I’m curious how Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will do this weekend. It doesn’t share a lot of audience overlap, and Tarantino has been a big box office draw since the Kill Bill films.

seascape

I’m curious how Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will do this weekend. It doesn’t share a lot of audience overlap, and Tarantino has been a big box office draw since the Kill Bill films.
I hope it does well. I want more movies, not less. Blockbusters are nice but low budget movies aimed at a specific market are what makes Hollywood great. If every studio were to just make movies for the mass market we all lose. That is why I want Fox Searchlight to be kept and enlarged. It is also why I support Disney Nature movies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom