2019 Box Office tracking

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Sounds like Endgame's march to the top of the all-time box office list isn't done yet. My son just saw that it's being re-released with additional "never-before-seen" footage. Game, set, match. I'm in.

jt04

Sounds like Endgame's march to the top of the all-time box office list isn't done yet. My son just saw that it's being re-released with additional "never-before-seen" footage. Game, set, match. I'm in.

I always enjoy when studios do this. Not sure why this hasn't become SOP at the end of successful runs if they have some decent stuff that got cut. This whole "Director's Vision" excuse is overrated.

I also had no problem with colorization as the originals still exist.

What would really be cool is to take old movies that were good but got overlooked and giving them a new musical score and releasing them again on streaming. Could work wonders.

Darkprime

I dont know why Disney is trying so hard to have EndGame pass Avatar tbh. They own Avatar now too so does it really matter? They have the all time record either way. lol.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I dont know why Disney is trying so hard to have EndGame pass Avatar tbh. They own Avatar now too so does it really matter? They have the all time record either way. lol.

To push all the anti-superhero naysayer's faces into it?

This is what super hero movie fatigue looks like, suckas!!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
To push all the anti-superhero naysayer's faces into it?

This is what super hero movie fatigue looks like, suckas!!
That isn't going to stop the naysayers. Because now they'll just say, but yeah no other superhero movie can top it. You've already seen that around here. You have posters here already stating that the MCU will die because they can't top End Game and that no one will care now that its over.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Long time no updates, folks!*

Toy Story 4's opening weekend looks to be going well. Aladdin has has a few surprisingly low week over drops, it's on it's 6th day of near or well below 25% drops.

Endgame is getting a "re-release" that's not a re-release at all because it's still in nearly a thousand theaters, it's a 2nd wave push on advertising for what is a fairly typical 8th-12th week expansion for Summer and rolling into 2nd run theaters. They are just paring it with a potential marking boost with the Spider-Man movie and some bonus features. It's a good marketing ploy, but unless they intend to expand it for some international markets I don't see the benefit of running for the record like this.

Outside of the Disney bubble there have been more misses that hits this last week. MIB International seemed to fizzle out and Shaft ... well ... you know.

----
* Long story short: I've been in the hospital! Nothing life treating, this is just what happens when you're a busy bee and never rest even when you're sick. Don't do what Jane does and stay hydrated folks!

BrianLo

* Long story short: I've been in the hospital! Nothing life treating, this is just what happens when you're a busy bee and never rest even when you're sick. Don't do what Jane does and stay hydrated folks!

Feel better!

Aladdin has proved a surprising leggy win. I think it will continue to sit comfortably at or in the top five for really the remainder of the 'summer'.

Toy Story, while slipping from extremely lofty projections, also really lacks a lot of competition (Pets is slipping too fast and Lion King is 4 weeks out). I think it will also leg out as a movie audiences were probably a bit muted on the concept until word of mouth picks up that it wasn't "just" a cash grab sequel.

Kind of crazy that this "summers" only true successes will be Disney/Marvel and John Wick

BrianLo

I think there is also just an unanticipated void that they might as well fill.

We have two movies that will perform (Aladdin and Toy Story 4) and pretty much two releases of significance (Lion King and Spiderman) all the way until August.

No I'm not just being a fanboi, the other studios literally aren't releasing anything until August.

I really don't think the industry expected Men in Black, Godzilla, Pets and Dark Phoenix to all crash. I certainly didn't.

It's been a really ty blockbuster summer.

Animaniac93-98

Toy Story 4

Box Office Mojo pre-weekend estimate: $165 million ("some suggesting it could climb as high as $200 million")

Disney's "conservative" pre-weekend estimate: $140 million

Current weekend estimate: $118 million

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

4TH UPDATE Sunday AM writethru, following Saturday 7:35 AM update Refresh for chart and more analysis: The opening for Disney’s Toy Story 4 is still lower than anticipated when this weekend started going from $136M on Friday midday to $123.7M yesterday morning to a Disney-reported $118M. Industry estimates are spotting it at $119.5M. Global is a $238M opening record for an animated movie, higher than Incredibles 2‘s $235.8M, and that’s fantastic and bodes well for a $900M to $1 billion-plus final worldwide total. Read on.
Saturday’s estimated $39.55M reps a 17% from Friday’s $47.6M which includes $12M Thursday previews. That ease is on par with last year’s Incredibles 2. Many believe the lower than expected numbers stem from Disney skipping Father’s Day weekend this year, which has long been a Pixar tradition. Even though Toy Story 4 won’t have the Father’s Day bump, understand that during the course of a holiday weekend like that, people still head to the cinema for a big event pic on Friday and Saturday. Thank God, the studio will return Pixar to Father’s Day weekend next year with Soul and in 2021.
Why Toy Story 4 didn’t go on Father’s Day weekend this year may have to do with its international territory grab this weekend, and that looks like it’s the case with the global record here for Toy Story 4 and the fourthquel earning $120M from 37 markets, second best animated overseas debut behind Fox/Blue Sky’s Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs at $151.6M. Typically animated pics roll out slowly abroad, capitalizing on school holidays versus the global day and date grab.
Everyone in town is probably ready to ding Disney for coming in lower stateside, but really — what studio wouldn’t want a $118M+ opening right now for a fourthquel? Even though Toy Story 4 is below the $140M that Disney was hoping for, and the hyper aggressive $160M-$200M opening some were spotting ahead of a leading tracking service, Toy Story 4‘s opening is still remarkable for a fourthquel in a 24-year old franchise, besting the previous chapter’s $110.3M debut. The pic has great exits (A CinemaScore, Screen Engine/ComScore PostTrak numbers of 89% in the top two boxes with an 75% recommend for the general crowd) and that’s going to carry this film through to higher figures until whenever Disney decides to pull it out of theaters.

seascape

2019 is a bad year for animated movies. They are all underperforming. Regardless, it looks like Disney will pass the $6 billion dollar worldwide gross by Saturday night.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So, the good:

TS4, though it ""underperformed"" on aggressive guesses domestically, did wind up with the #1 Global Opening Weekend (for an animated feature) of all time at $238M . Beating the previous record-holder, Incredibles 2.​
Aladdin continues to bring in the dough that he stole on the streets, up to $810M globally.​
Endgame is within $38M for the all time unadjusted global record.​
Rocketman became more profitable.​

The bad:

These movies are limping along in the red and will almost certainly stay that way for their theatrical window: Godzilla, Dark Phoenix, MiB International.​
Pets2 may wind up just breaking even. Which is good news for a franchise that can make up for it in the after-market. Not too good news for becoming an anchor attraction at Universal.​

The other:

With so many franchises not doing well, there is a drum beat for franchise-fatigue. But that keeps overlooking the franchises that are doing well. TS4 is objectively a success despite the spin of 'not meeting exorbitant expectations'. Endgame is a success. And the super hero fatigue? Aquaman and Shazam were successes, too. How to Train your Dragon made money. John Wick made money. I'm sure Spider-Man will also do very well.​
Disney's live action remakes and franchises continue to be... a mix. Dumbo flopped. Mary Poppins Returns barely broke even. But Aladdin, and assuredly, Lion King, will do very well.​
The lesson: When people name two to four movies and proclaim a trend. Don't believe them. That is very cherry-picked data. Gotta look at all the counter-examples.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom