News 2018 ticket price increases

plkkak

For every guest that takes a survey or complains about crowd levels, wait times, etc., how many just leave? I think there's more dissatisfaction around crowd levels and wait times but since it doesn't show up in the bottom lines numbers right now, Disney is continuing to go full steam ahead with their current strategy. Remember the old Michael Eisner saying - "Fool them into thinking they are having a good time". (I wish I could remember where I saw that originally...). They continue to fool people into thinking they are having a good time. There will be a point where attendance decreases, I just fear what it will take for that to happen.

This is why MK needs people eaters while the other parks need showcase attractions.

I agree that some guests are leaving, and there might be a future guest issue they don't see coming. But if the MK adds people eaters, it's just going to add more capacity that will quickly get filled by guests. Why would Disney let that future capacity not be utilized at the same level it is now?

CalebS

For every guest that takes a survey or complains about crowd levels, wait times, etc., how many just leave? I think there's more dissatisfaction around crowd levels and wait times but since it doesn't show up in the bottom lines numbers right now, Disney is continuing to go full steam ahead with their current strategy. Remember the old Michael Eisner saying - "Fool them into thinking they are having a good time". (I wish I could remember where I saw that originally...). They continue to fool people into thinking they are having a good time. There will be a point where attendance decreases, I just fear what it will take for that to happen.

This is why MK needs people eaters while the other parks need showcase attractions.

Add the old villians mountain concept and Shanghai tech Indy to Hollywood studios along with galaxy’s edge and you’ll get a much better spread

spock8113

I would love to see their ACTUAL attendance numbers for the last four (4) years.
I'm not sure the attendance has grown that much to justify the rise in ridiculous waiting times and ticket prices.
These long waits didn't gradually rise over the past 4 or 5 years.
Wait times have doubled but I don't think attendance has.
It seems to have occurred within a year or so, about the time they starting experimenting with fast pass
and implementing different rules.
I say they're making lines longer because of the changes in fast passing and have created a bottleneck.
Remember, Apple has admitted to using the ability to drain your battery faster...(dot, dot, dot)

jbeechuk

$200 one day tickets are not far away...probably within 5 years. 6-day passes will easily be $1000 per person. Obviously, wealthy families have no issue with this. But the middle class will still have to really scrape to spend $7000-$1000 for a single vacation at WDW.

It’s been about 4 years since I was last at WDW. I hope go to back in a few years, when the Tron ride opens up. But I’m just not sure. It’s always crowded, even in what used to be off-season times. Endless baby strollers everywhere, constant construction that makes it much worse that better initially. I don’t know. Sometimes it seems the magic is gone.

Buried20KLeague

Folks suggesting the only way to limit crowds is to raise prices...

You could also increase capacity dramatically. You know, the thing that WDW should have been doing for the last several decades but weren't. The thing they plan to continue not doing.

The impulse to blame guests and not the multi-billion dollar mega-corporation for problems at the tourist attraction controlled by the corporation is mind-boggling.

They HAVE increased capacity. In DVC.

You assume TWDC wants you to visit Orlando for the parks. That’s quite untrue.

WDW is a hotel destination with theme parks as a necessary byproduct.

drizgirl

$200 one day tickets are not far away...probably within 5 years. 6-day passes will easily be $1000 per person. Obviously, wealthy families have no issue with this. But the middle class will still have to really scrape to spend $7000-$1000 for a single vacation at WDW.

It’s been about 4 years since I was last at WDW. I hope go to back in a few years, when the Tron ride opens up. But I’m just not sure. It’s always crowded, even in what used to be off-season times. Endless baby strollers everywhere, constant construction that makes it much worse that better initially. I don’t know. Sometimes it seems the magic is gone.
They will lose me at that point. I don't have the emotional attachment to Tron, Marvel and Star Wars that I do with the classic IPs. Disney is fast becoming an IP land along the lines emotionally as Universal. Just a conglomeration of unrelated acquired IPs. I go now because I love the old original Disney stuff. But the more that all gives way to recently acquired IPs, the less value it holds to me. I'm not sure what my breaking point is, but I can guarantee it's somewhere below $200/day.

MinnieWaffles

You haven't been in 4 years and you you feel like the magic has gone? Stop reading Disney fan forums!!! People here nitpick every single thing and decision and only ever report on the negatives.

We had a great trip in September, for what it's worth. Yes it's extraordinarily expensive now, and it makes me grateful for being a UK guest where we get really good deals, but please don't let this site cloud your view and stop you from ever returning.

jbeechuk

You haven't been in 4 years and you you feel like the magic has gone? Stop reading Disney fan forums!!! People here nitpick every single thing and decision and only ever report on the negatives.

We had a great trip in September, for what it's worth. Yes it's extraordinarily expensive now, and it makes me grateful for being a UK guest where we get really good deals, but please don't let this site cloud your view and stop you from ever returning.
The magic started to fade my last trip. The addition of Fast Pass to the HM and POC was the dumbest thing I have ever seen. What used to be 10-15 waits, now went to 20-30 minutes, in the regular line. The completely unnecessary Fast Pass addition really is annoying. It isn’t nit picking when it is in fact a big deal. Considering the amount of money one spends, people have a right to question if it’s worth it. I’m sure I will return, but there is a limit to the money I am willing to pay.

Nubs70

What people fail to realize is that crowding levels are determined by guest experience and tolerance. Guests show they are satisfied with the current crowd levels given the current attractions/capacity. If they weren't satisfied, attendance would drop. If Disney builds more attractions resulting in a higher capacity, the parks will crowd at the same relative levels as now, unless Disney limits crowds by raising prices substantially higher. If they build more things, it will not feel as if they've increased capacity.
This is why WDW needs to add both attractions and square footage. Additional attractions give increased number of guests something to do while increased square footage lowers the population density thus delivering a much improved experience.

drp4video

I believe that is the difference between the Eisner era vs Iger era. I grew up going to WDW in the Eisner era.

**The Eisner years saw entire theme parks built. MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon. Also ADDED attractions to Epcot, MK and MGM over the years

** Iger has very, very slowly added a few attractions and reskinned a few others.

**Eisner completely changed the landscape of the WDW resorts by building the value, moderates, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge and adding the entire Boardwalk area along with the resorts that reside there.

**Iger added AoA but mostly added DVC to existing resorts.

My entire family was pass holders pretty much every year throughout the 90's and early 2000's. We visited several times a year and I remember that there was always construction going on but it did not interfere with the flow of the parks because most of the construction was not inside existing parks, it was new parks being constructed. Even with new parks being added, the ticket prices never saw dramatic price hikes and our middle class family was able to afford AP's for 6 people every year. My dad even took several years off work to complete getting his law degree and it was only my mom working (Registered Nurse) and we could still afford it. I dont recall crowd levels being nearly as insane as they can get today. Customer service and food portions were much better as well. Now, we see lower food portions, less CM's on staff and most are not as enthusiastic as in the past. I recall nearly every time we rode Haunted Mansion, the CM's played the part well when you entered the mansion and then into the portrait room. Nowadays youre lucky if they arent chatting amongst themselves about what they did night before as they wave you past.

I am not hailing Eisner as the best person ever, but his era sure did seem different to what we currently have. I am still an AP holder, still visit often and love WDW. Iger has done some good things as well. I really like Pandora and am looking forward to SWL. But I am not a fan of the current execs decisions to force planning months out.

I agree. In the early 1900's and early 2000's I used to have AP's as well (live in Michigan), and then my daughter went to college we changed to 10 day non-expirational hoppers, going once a year. I now go once every three years. I have an upcoming trip this May and really debated getting a 4 day pass as MGM (I still call it that) and Epcot have lost so many attractions that I don't consider them full day parks. But, I forsee that due to all the price increases, reduction in customer service, and what seems to be nickle and diming for everything, lack of park expansion and reduction of attractions, and all the planning that now has to go into FP+ and dinning where it has become like a job, that this will be my last time going for a long time, so I did want to go to all four parks one last time (perhaps when I become a grandma I will take the grandkids lol). (also doing Universal as this may be my last hurrah for a while...putting away the Disney Visa as well as I won't need the points).

disneyflush

People are happy with the current crowd levels, otherwise attendance would drop. If and when Disney adds capacity, it will just get filled with more visitors so it's basically at the same level as now.

People can certainly be unhappy with current crowd levels and still continue to come back which would not affect attendance in the least. I would make my own assumption and say the majority of people who return year after year are unhappy with current crowd levels. They still return.

The issue with park crowd levels certainly isn't an issue to Disney. Its a glorious success. If they aren't hitting the daily capacity limit with attendance each day then there is still room to grow.

plkkak

People can certainly be unhappy with current crowd levels and still continue to come back which would not affect attendance in the least. I would make my own assumption and say the majority of people who return year after year are unhappy with current crowd levels. They still return.

The issue with park crowd levels certainly isn't an issue to Disney. Its a glorious success. If they aren't hitting the daily capacity limit with attendance each day then there is still room to grow.

Actually, I doubt that Disney wants to hit capacity. What they want to hit is that capacity measure that you described - guests not necessarily happy with the crowds, but not so much so that they don't return. Better yet, they move their visit to a lower capacity day. I suspect park capacity limits would not be sustainable for a positive guest experience.

This is why WDW needs to add both attractions and square footage. Additional attractions give increased number of guests something to do while increased square footage lowers the population density thus delivering a much improved experience.

But my point was that the density would not go down because it's proven to be sustainable for guests.

Epcotbob

I wonder if Disney is losing repeat guests due to crowds, wait times and price? My family, who I've taken about 6 times on WDW vacations over the years, are no longer interested in going anymore. The main reason is that they are tired of crowds and waiting too long for everything, it's just not worth the hassle to them anymore.....and that's even if I'm paying! So, is the WDW attendance surge only thanks to the economy and 1st time visitors, many of whom won't return because it was not as "magical" as they thought it would be?

MAGICFLOP

The main reason is that they are tired of crowds and waiting too long for everything, it's just not worth the hassle to them anymore.....and that's even if I'm paying! So, is the WDW attendance surge only thanks to the economy and 1st time visitors, many of whom won't return because it was not as "magical" as they thought it would be?
People that don't go anymore do so for many reasons, one of which you mentioned, others being fear, economics and politics..

Nubs70

But my point was that the density would not go down because it's proven to be sustainable for guests.

True, but I would expect attendance levels to flatline then begin to decline as price increases exceed customers congestion tolerance.

Flatline attendance also flatlines food and merch sales which is contrary to the foundational principle of FP+. Increasing prices to reduce attendance also deflates food and merch sales. Long term reliance on price increases for growth is not viable.

Long term growth/prosperity will come from expansion that provides a superior customer experience.

Po'Rich

I wonder if Disney is losing repeat guests due to crowds, wait times and price? My family, who I've taken about 6 times on WDW vacations over the years, are no longer interested in going anymore. The main reason is that they are tired of crowds and waiting too long for everything, it's just not worth the hassle to them anymore.....and that's even if I'm paying! So, is the WDW attendance surge only thanks to the economy and 1st time visitors, many of whom won't return because it was not as "magical" as they thought it would be?
I think it would be interesting to see the numbers for returning guests. I'm sure Disney must keep track of such things. Are returning guests visiting as much or as often as they once did? However, I suspect that Disney makes most of their money on 1st time visitors.

Here, you state that "many won't return because it was not as 'magical' as they thought it would be." I imagine that most 1st time visitors find WDW extremely magical. From my experiences and discussions with 1st time visitors, they are overwhelmed by the Disney experience. Many talk of going again someday. Whether they make it or not depends on many factors, not the least of which is the fact that Disney is priced as a premium vacation.

Yet, it seems that the dissatisfaction occurs more with the repeat visitors. Is this because the parks have been diminished over the years (as many have suggested) or is it due to familiarity. Part of the initial appeal of WDW is the superiority of the experiences when compared to other (local) theme parks. It is hard to reproduce that initial "wow" factor in subsequent visits, and the more people go, the more dissatisfied they seem to become. They start to see all of the blemishes.

For myself, at the end of the day, I'd still rather be at WDW than just about anyplace else (I only wish I was also uber-wealthy so I could afford to do so).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom