News 2018 ticket price increases

MaryJaneP

Has a third US resort been seriously explored inside WDC at all in the last 20 years? It sure seems like there's enough demand between the coasts to start another resort complex in the middle of the country without destroying attendance at DL or WDW.

Not US, but would seemingly alleviate some of the demand, build a resort in South America. Tour Groups and less expensive land/labor could be expected.

seascape

SW:GE will add at east 2 million to attendance with an average ticket cost of over $110.00 in just 2019. With 4 million in 2020. That 6 million. Ticket sale will bring in 660 m
DVC was a very smart move by Disney... it is pretty much guaranteed guests whether by the owners or people they rent their points out to. This has increased attendance as well as all the events they have now in the "slow" periods (which are no longer slow).

Some of Disney has gone down... prices go up... and attendance and spending per guest continues to go up. It's painful for all of us. Crowds and beginning to be too much and pricing is out of hand in many cases.

If Disney would expand more of their parks and reduce some of their hotel costs they would host more guests - but it's not about getting more guests.. it's all about squeezing the utters of those that do still come and then they don't have to be as concerned about an increase of the # of guests... just the spending of the guests that are there

welcome to the new Di$ney
If they reduced ticket price the parks would have higher attendance and lined. The only way to reduce crowds is higher prices or they could only allow those staying onsite into the Parks.

Tom P.

Most normal people think that Todays Disney is the same as it was when they were kids. It's only here and other places where hard core Disney fans gather that we know that the value today is much less than it was 20 years ago.

One trip is usually enough to fix this misapprehension with the crowding and 'less than magical' CM's
My family and I have been in 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2017. We will be going back in 2019. The price increases have not changed anything about our plans to continue visiting. We know how to plan a Disney trip, so the crowding really has been no issue what-so-ever. And we have found the CM's to be almost universally pleasant to interact with. For someone who is so vocal about not visiting WDW anymore -- I believe you said you haven't been in a park since 2015? -- you seem to have a vastly different perception of the place than those of us who actually visit. But, hey, to each his own.

Chef Mickey

Tickets still aren't expensive enough. The place is packed.

Stop focusing on 1 day ticket prices anyway. No one goes for a day and if you do, you're doing it wrong.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Stop focusing on 1 day ticket prices anyway. No one goes for a day and if you do, you're doing it wrong.

The crowds are higher on average each day...but I agree that it's not that much different.

It's not that bad...frankly...you just have to conform to their planning methods. It stinks but it's the way it works. If you want spontaneity...or to rack up a ride count...this isn't the place for you.

It was never about the rides anyway...as
Proven by the fact they never add any these days and the attendance continues to climb

Chef Mickey

The crowds are higher on average each day...but I agree that it's not that much different.

It's not that bad...frankly...you just have to conform to their planning methods. It stinks but it's the way it works. If you want spontaneity...or to rack up a ride count...this isn't the place for you.

It was never about the rides anyway...as
Proven by the fact they never add any these days and the attendance continues to climb
The 2 new attractions at Avatar are driving the ticket increases at AK.

disneyflush

If they reduced ticket price the parks would have higher attendance and lined. The only way to reduce crowds is higher prices or they could only allow those staying onsite into the Parks.

The people that want to come are coming regardless of the price. Price increases aren't deterring people and price decreases wouldn't encourage a significant amount more to come than already do (unless you are talking about a >25% decrease). I realize basic economic principles do not agree with this view but Disney attendance doesn't follow the usual economic foundational norms.

21stamps

The people that want to come are coming regardless of the price. Price increases aren't deterring people and price decreases wouldn't encourage a significant amount more to come than already do (unless you are talking about a >25% decrease). I realize basic economic principles do not agree with this view but Disney attendance doesn't follow the usual economic foundational norms.

The only thing that may help is to stop the $200 deposits. Make it a percentage rather than a flat $200, then less people would book.

John park hopper

The only way to decrease the crowds was posted earlier limit park attendence to those staying in Disney associated resorts and DVC. I'm sure the greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce would put up a big fight over that idea. Disney bean counters would not go for thst idea either. Short of a major economic down turn I don't see crowds lessening any time soon as disneyflush posted people will pay whatever the price

MinnieWaffles

Oh please. This has nothing to do with 'hanging out on the Dis', it's just the reality of economics.
Whether something is undervalued, priced to value, or overvalued has absolutely nothing to do with profit. It has to do with what the market perceives the value of the product to be worth and what people are willing to pay for that value. And to me and many others, the current price is not that ceiling. To many, it is. All I'm saying is that, to me, the current pricing is still worth it. That is, of course, subjective. But objectively speaking, the market still supports the current pricing - people are still going in droves.

Now Disney is at risk of hitting that ceiling, or devaluing their product by slacking on maintenance, having lines that are too long, poor guest experiences, not building out and investing back in the product enough etc., and those are valid arguments, some of which I agree with. But if that's the case, then people will stop going because the price Disney is asking won't be worth the value of the product that they offer to most people.

And your dismissive comment about 'frosh economics class' is funny, because this is really nothing more than basic economics.

Don't engage, he'll never see your point of view because he's just trying to get a rise out of people.

njDizFan

How does McDonalds make money...not selling burgers but selling franchise rent and fees, by a large percentage. That's their biggest secret, they are essentially a real estate company.

Besides the average margin of a S&P company is less that 9%.

rprvw

Wife and I have been annual pass holders for 4 years. We've chosen not too renew this year. $729 per pass for 2 people comes out to $121 a month... I'm just not sure anymore if there is a $121 a month in entertainment there anymore. We normally go at least 2 times a month. I think maybe we'll try something else or just start seeing movies twice a month. Who knows.....

indyumd

Wife and I have been annual pass holders for 4 years. We've chosen not too renew this year. $729 per pass for 2 people comes out to $121 a month... I'm just not sure anymore if there is a $121 a month in entertainment there anymore. We normally go at least 2 times a month. I think maybe we'll try something else or just start seeing movies twice a month. Who knows.....

Isn't it only $619 if you are renewing?

Casper Gutman

Folks suggesting the only way to limit crowds is to raise prices...

You could also increase capacity dramatically. You know, the thing that WDW should have been doing for the last several decades but weren't. The thing they plan to continue not doing.

The impulse to blame guests and not the multi-billion dollar mega-corporation for problems at the tourist attraction controlled by the corporation is mind-boggling.

seascape

Attendance at WDW will continue to set records even with this increase. Yes,WDW needs to add capacity to each park but even if they added more rides than they have already announced with ticket price increases demand would increase faster than capacity.

Hollywood Studios needs 4 not 2 rides in SW:GE. They also need expansion on the other side of the park. AK needs expansion in the empty area. Epcot is well documented future world needs updates and world show case needs more attractions and countries. However even if they did all this 2021 is 3 years away and millions and millions more guests are coming. Disney needs new hotel rooms too. How will they handle the crowds? Who knows but maybe a lessen can be learned from their offering extra magic hours and 60 reservations to DS resorts.

The good news is the new tax law allows full expensing of capital projects. Thus Disney can use the tax code and increase expansion. Do it now. We need more of everything at WDW.

erasure fan1

Folks suggesting the only way to limit crowds is to raise prices...

You could also increase capacity dramatically. You know, the thing that WDW should have been doing for the last several decades but weren't. The thing they plan to continue not doing.

The impulse to blame guests and not the multi-billion dollar mega-corporation for problems at the tourist attraction controlled by the corporation is mind-boggling.
I think I have probably said this in every ticket increase thread. The issue of constantly raising your prices isn't the thing that gets me mad. If they had been giving us the expansion the parks needed and the upkeep and all that fun stuff, I'd have NO issues with tickets going up. I have never had a problem with a company charging me more when the increase is justified with an improved experience. Not because, hey we can.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom