Cut back park and hotel maintenance -- check
Reduced food quantity and quality -- check
Reduced staffing -- check
Reduced in-park entertainment -- check
Implemented ride rationing -- check
Removed attractions -- check
Raised prices at rates higher than inflation (again) -- check

And yet they still keep coming.

What are they going to have to do to discourage crowds -- release the Kraken in Seven Seas Lagoon?

WDW is running on decades of goodwill built upon once unparalleled customer service. Its going to take a few years of the post 2012 service levels before the non-Disney fan realizes that Disney is no longer well Disney.

Ironically it will probably be SW:GE which pushes WDW over the edge because of the low capacity of the new lands so a lot of vacations will be 'ruined' because the kids did not get to see the SW stuff, others will be digusted at the inevitable upcharge for 'guaranteed access'. And there will be a tsunami of negative social media buzz which Disney will be unable to contain.

It's ironic that what could have been a license to print money if Disney had been willing to INVEST in a proper SW Gate will probably become an albatross around WDW's neck.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Cut back park and hotel maintenance -- check
Reduced food quantity and quality -- check
Reduced staffing -- check
Reduced in-park entertainment -- check
Implemented ride rationing -- check
Removed attractions -- check
Raised prices at rates higher than inflation (again) -- check

And yet they still keep coming.

What are they going to have to do to discourage crowds -- release the Kraken in Seven Seas Lagoon?

It's all those billions of dollars they keep throwing into capital improvements: updating languishing E-Ticket rides; increasing capacity on mobbed E-Ticket rides; building new lands and a bunch more E-Ticket rides.

WDW should immediately stop all that capital spending and building and improvements if they ever want to control the crowding.

Tony the Tigger

WDW is running on decades of goodwill built upon once unparalleled customer service. Its going to take a few years of the post 2012 service levels before the non-Disney fan realizes that Disney is no longer well Disney.

Ironically it will probably be SW:GE which pushes WDW over the edge because of the low capacity of the new lands so a lot of vacations will be 'ruined' because the kids did not get to see the SW stuff, others will be digusted at the inevitable upcharge for 'guaranteed access'. And there will be a tsunami of negative social media buzz which Disney will be unable to contain.

It's ironic that what could have been a license to print money if Disney had been willing to INVEST in a proper SW Gate will probably become an albatross around WDW's neck.

Oh, good; more predictions.

nitstalker

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen anyone mention that date specific multi-day ticket pricing is coming later this year. That seems to be a significant change in pricing.

That's because they are waiting on the Fox deal to be finalized. On those days they will be using their newly acuired IP and it will be 'Fight Club' days - the winners get access to the parks while the losers can only ride Stitches Great Escape.

Wait, sorry I already broke the first rule of fight club... ;)

The_Jobu

WDW should immediately stop all that capital spending and building and improvements if they ever want to control the crowding.

Yes, they're really strapped for cash...

I get the need to show growth to shareholders, I don't begrudge them that. But let's not pretend the hikes and the cutbacks are something they need to do.

trr1

foundhere

Ticket prices at Walt Disney World Orlando and Disneyland in California both have been increased for the coming season. The announcement was made by company officials on Sunday.

Beginning on Sunday, Magic Kingdom “value” days will cost $109 for an adult and $103 for children. That’s a $2 increase over ticket prices last year on “value” days.

During “regular” time, adults will pay $119 and children will pay $113. That’s a $4 increase over last year.

“Peak” prices will be set at $129 for an adult and $123 for a child.

“Value” one-day tickets at Hollywood Studios, Epcot, and the Animal Kingdom will cost $102 for an adult and $96 for a child. That’s a $2 bump over last year. “Regular” times at these parks will cost $114 for an adult and $108 for a child. “Peak” tickets at these parks will run $122 for an adult and $116 for a child.

At Disneyland, the regular price of admission to the Anaheim park will be set at $117. That’s a $7 rise over last year. A single-day ticket during peak times will cost $135, which is an $11 increase over last year. The cost of a “value” ticket will remain the same at $97.

Last edited:

DisneyLee74

Let’s hope with Igers departure next year the new CEO realizes that Guest experiences are the hallmark of the Disney theme park business. Great cast member service. Well maintained parks. They need to remember how Walt set the bar.

seascape

Let’s hope with Igers departure next year the new CEO realizes that Guest experiences are the hallmark of the Disney theme park business. Great cast member service. Well maintained parks. They need to remember how Walt set the bar.
He is not leaving next year. He is staying through 2021.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't believe anything will.

Instead of trying to discourage crowds by raising prices and limiting their product, they could try to meet demand. There are ways they could do that too.
I don't believe anything will.

Instead of trying to discourage crowds by raising prices and limiting their product, they could try to meet demand. There are ways they could do that too.

That would require INVESTMENT in their properties, before people start telling me the 'billions' disney is supposedly spending on P&R. Perhaps this will help the mathematically challenged to understand. For every DIME spent on the parks Disney spends a DOLLAR buying back stock.

The only people that spending benefits is Disney senior leadership with 'incentive' plans

Heck that money could also be used to cushion the losses at ESPN caused by the overinflated rights deals until they expire and can be replaced with deals the market can support.

Every major issue at Disney can be traced to overreliance on financial engineering

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's all those billions of dollars they keep throwing into capital improvements: updating languishing E-Ticket rides; increasing capacity on mobbed E-Ticket rides; building new lands and a bunch more E-Ticket rides.

Or they could try adding supply to meet demand...

We both know current planned additions won’t solve the problem, and that they could add double, triple the amount without batting an eyelid.

We also know better finance management would help.

durangojim

I haven’t read through this thread but I suspect it’s the same as 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013...
giphy.gif

Walt d

Kinda like they did for 5 years during the housing bubble recession?...the worse economic slide since the dust bowl?

...the "while Europe slept" moment for wdw consumers.

I could go on and on...but I won't ;)
Do you here that hammer noise ? As you read this banks are puting kiosk up in front of all, the parks,to lone you the money, to get in. Hurry next please..

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That's because they are waiting on the Fox deal to be finalized. On those days they will be using their newly acuired IP and it will be 'Fight Club' days - the winners get access to the parks while the losers can only ride Stitches Great Escape.

Wait, sorry I already broke the first rule of fight club... ;)
If only they weren't closing SGE...

21stamps

Are the increases higher than other years?

They don’t look too bad to me. Largest increase is the 4 day ticket which would add $200 for a family of 4. Annoying, but I don’t think anyone would change their vacation plans over that.

The savings is really at 5+ days, but hasn’t it been that way for awhile now?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Funny how Disney built a whole new world (in Florida) while maintaining quality entertainment and customer service in California. It's a shame they forgot how to keep up the quality while spending a few bucks on the parks...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom