2016 Osborne Lights replacement - what will Disney do?

dgp602

The only move the lights will make is into a dumpster like SpectroMagic.
We should keep a Osborne Lights 'Dumpster Watch'! I can see it now: "Dumpster on-site" "Second Dumpster filled to capacity" "Dumpster removal delayed due to budget cuts" "Osborne Lights removal project re-named to 'Light extraction project', sound track to be released soon"!

ToTBellHop

We should keep a Osborne Lights 'Dumpster Watch'! I can see it now: "Dumpster on-site" "Second Dumpster filled to capacity" "Dumpster removal delayed due to budget cuts" "Osborne Lights removal project re-named to 'Light extraction project', sound track to be released soon"!
Imagine when they close off Streets of America in 2016 and then someone sneaks back there in 2018 to find alligators looking at the still-present Osborne Lights...

Biff215

Agree with @matt9112 , How many people are able to use the same lights for 20 years? Must have been a nightmare setting them up, taking them down, hoping they'd work. Loved the lights, will love the next thing!
They certainly haven't used the same lights for 20 years. Everything was upgraded to LED about a decade ago, so I doubt a single original light remains, even on the Osborne figures. Since they're using commercial quality light sets and installing/uninstalling professionally, they have probably had less problems than you think. I'm sure they had some sort of replacement plan and budget as needed.

I am so sad to see them go, but the park has changed significantly through the years and continues to do so. I just fear this area will be abandoned as opposed to redeveloped for a number of years. While access will be needed for both Toy Story and SW, it will be a shame if yet another area of the Studios just sits dormant while we wait for the new lands to be completed. If they start demolishing the SoA in the coming month then I'll stand corrected.

JustInTime

The fact is, there isn't major holiday draw anymore and that's sad. It's just not what it used to be. I got to choose between Halloween or Christmas again this year and for the first time ever I chose Halloween. The three unforgivables for me are mainstreet wreaths, lights of winter and obviously Osborne lights. If they had built monstropolis it would have been the perfect setting for a replacement. The lights around the fictional city hosted by Mike and Sully while they are powered by the crowd's cheers...what a missed opportunity!

dgp602

The fact is, there isn't major holiday draw anymore and that's sad. It's just not what it used to be. I got to choose between Halloween or Christmas again this year and for the first time ever I chose Halloween. The three unforgivables for me are mainstreet wreaths, lights of winter and obviously Osborne lights. If they had built monstropolis it would have been the perfect setting for a replacement. The lights around the fictional city hosted by Mike and Sully while they are powered by the crowd's cheers...what a missed opportunity!
Don't forget the Contemporary Wreath shaped like Mickey that was unceremoniously dumped in a scrap pile

slipperalwaysfits

I have such great memories of the toparies around the property as you rode the monorail... I wish they had a a big christmas light display you rode the epcot loop to see.

I never saw these, as I only became a recent WDW devotee, but those sound amazing and they would be lovely. Somebody else mentioned the red and green lights up the Contemporary! Sounds beautiful! My dear fiancee has pictures of the Epcot lights back in the day and they looked like a really pretty walk that completely immerses you in the magic, just like the Osborne lights did. :p:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom