2015: The year of the EPCOT makeover?

Progress.City

As for ratatouille martin has said its not coming to epcot and never was, so yeah I would follow with what he says before anyone else.

in terms of Norway yes I have connections and have stated plenty with what I could since august over in the frozen/maelstrom thread mainly from contacts involved directly in Norway regarding meetings, support and the future of the pavilion etc. The budget for one thing makes things obvious as well. I never said Disney didnt consider expanding next door, the plan was mainly a meetngreet pavilion at one point, but they chose the cheaper route.

Fair enough! As for Ratatouille, I heard that DLP has a 5-year exclusivity agreement for it. Therefore, WDW can't even plan it now. However, in 5-years...

Also, I'm real curious about the Jerry Reece project. If this isn't Frozen, then EC has at least two projects coming in 2016. Jerry first mentioned his "mystery project" before the Frozen craze broke, so that lessens the chance of it being Frozen. Also, since Disney already soft-announced Frozen, Jerry would have identified it, maybe. Disney had no idea when they produced Frozen that it would be such a hit, so I doubt they green-lit the attraction at the same time.

That leaves either Imagination, UoE, or the WoL pavillion. Or Soaring.

If it's not Soaring, then 3 new attractions at least are planned for 2016 (when you also include Soaring).

Haymarket2008

Fair enough! As for Ratatouille, I heard that DLP has a 5-year exclusivity agreement for it. Therefore, WDW can't even plan it now. However, in 5-years...

Also, I'm real curious about the Jerry Reece project. If this isn't Frozen, then EC has at least two projects coming in 2016. Jerry first mentioned his "mystery project" before the Frozen craze broke, so that lessens the chance of it being Frozen. Also, since Disney already soft-announced Frozen, Jerry would have identified it, maybe. Disney had no idea when they produced Frozen that it would be such a hit, so I doubt they green-lit the attraction at the same time.

That leaves either Imagination, UoE, or the WoL pavillion. Or Soaring.

If it's not Soaring, then 3 new attractions at least are planned for 2016 (when you also include Soaring).

I'm fascinated as to what it may be too! This is they guy who brought us Cranium Command, so I can hope that whatever comes in as just as witty, smart, and exciting as CC was. I have a feeling it is going to be Imagination or Wonders of Life. I'm leaning towards Imagination because the almost Monty Python silliness of CC (in terms of its animation) would lend itself to Imagination/what it was prior to 1999. I hope I'm not wrong in assuming that, if Imagination gets the "next gen" refurb it so deserves, Dreamfinder will make a return. Hope I'm not wrong on that.

Haymarket2008

And now that I think of it with Inside Out probably being a major contender as a life-boost for Wonders of Life, I don't think that plays into Jerry Reece's prior plans. Could be, but maybe! Regardless I'm interested.

Siren

Big Hero Six is such a perfect fit for Epcot's Future World! I advise all old school Epcot fans to see this film.

The vast field of robotics is simply amazing and how this escaped me is a mystery. Robotics, seamlessly ties into the future world theme. Without giving away spoilers from the film -- certain elements of Big Hero 6's robotic theme can be incorporated into a fascinating interactive robotics exhibit at Innoventions. There is also an opportunity to present an interactive health & wellness exhibit through utilization of Baymax. I would also like too see a dark ride for Big Hero 6, but a 3D/4D simulator ride is probably more appropriate for the IP content.

Initially, I wanted something along these lines to happen for Wall-E -- but there was too much controversy surrounding the film. But, Big Hero 6 has established the most ideal platform for Disney to expand upon without compromising Epcot's Future World theme.

Google EPCOT Rhine River.

I've posted the plans on these boards in the past. Maybe you can find them.

You'll learn all sorts around here ;)
Thank you so much, @marni1971 -- I did find your plans. And, I have most certainly learned all sorts of neat stuff, lol.

image-jpg.42709

Imagineering-Disney_Rhine-River-Cruise-Map_LG.jpg
OMG...this would have been so amazing -- it's quite sad that it never came to fruition. Ignorance is truly bliss, because now every time I visit Germany -- I'm going to think about the boat ride that never was.

Matt_Black

Big Hero Six is such a perfect fit for Epcot's Future World! I advise all old school Epcot fans to see this film.

The vast field of robotics is simply amazing and how this escaped me is a mystery. Robotics, seamlessly ties into the future world theme. Without giving away spoilers from the film -- certain elements of Big Hero 6's robotic theme can be incorporated into a fascinating interactive robotics exhibit at Innoventions. There is also an opportunity to present an interactive health & wellness exhibit through utilization of Baymax.

Absolutely. In fact, the symposium, or whatever it was, really reminded me of Innoventions back when it first opened up.

Initially, I wanted something along these lines to happen for Wall-E -- but there was too much controversy surrounding the film.

What controversy is that? I don't remember hearing any controversy. In fact, that might be one of the few Pixar films that's controversy-free, to my knowledge, as almost every other Pixar film has been accused of plagiarizing other films/ sources to a degree.

SirLink

I hope whatever happens to Epcot we have reached the end of invading Toons and focus on park only IP. We need more Spaceship Earth than Nemo and Friends.

Haymarket2008

The vast field of robotics is simply amazing and how this escaped me is a mystery. Robotics, seamlessly ties into the future world theme. Without giving away spoilers from the film -- certain elements of Big Hero 6's robotic theme can be incorporated into a fascinating interactive robotics exhibit at Innoventions. There is also an opportunity to present an interactive health & wellness exhibit through utilization of Baymax. I would also like too see a dark ride for Big Hero 6, but a 3D/4D simulator ride is probably more appropriate for the IP content.

Initially, I wanted something along these lines to happen for Wall-E -- but there was too much controversy surrounding the film. But, Big Hero 6 has established the most ideal platform for Disney to expand upon without compromising Epcot's Future World theme.

Thank you so much, @marni1971 -- I did find your plans. And, I have most certainly learned all sorts of neat stuff, lol.

OMG...this would have been so amazing -- it's quite sad that it never came to fruition. Ignorance is truly bliss, because now every time I visit Germany -- I'm going to think about the boat ride that never was.

I totally agree! That "science fair" thing in the beginning was so cool. That's what it Innoventions should be! Ugh!

disneygeek90

I would love a Ratatouille ride... probably a long shot at this point though.

I'd do anything for the tombs to go. I guess we have a few more years until that's a feasible option.

raymusiccity

They could always finish the boat ride that was meant to be in Germany or put something new in it's place. They've already got the building to put some form of attraction in there

Let's add Japan to our wish list, too! There are lots of articles concerning the existing show building that could house all sorts of ride systems. ( I vote for a bullet train! )

Siren

Absolutely. In fact, the symposium, or whatever it was, really reminded me of Innoventions back when it first opened up.

What controversy is that? I don't remember hearing any controversy. In fact, that might be one of the few Pixar films that's controversy-free, to my knowledge, as almost every other Pixar film has been accused of plagiarizing other films/ sources to a degree.
Yeah..... there was a huge controversy prior to the film because people felt it reflected obese people in a negative fashion or that it was fat shaming to a certain degree -- and some people felt like the film blamed the Earth's destruction on entirely on overweight people.

"According to this lazy logic, a fat body stands in for a distended culture: We gain weight and the Earth suffers. If only society could get off its big, fat *ss and go on a diet!"
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/green_room/2008/07/fate.html

People were so ticked off about this that Richard Simmons was summoned to calm everyone down & approve the film -- after the movie debuted everyone loved it and *got* the intended message, lol.

I hope whatever happens to Epcot we have reached the end of invading Toons and focus on park only IP. We need more Spaceship Earth than Nemo and Friends.
I totally agree with you but those days are long behind us.

I totally agree! That "science fair" thing in the beginning was so cool. That's what it Innoventions should be! Ugh!
I love the "science fair" thing too!

I would love a Ratatouille ride... probably a long shot at this point though.

I'd do anything for the tombs to go. I guess we have a few more years until that's a feasible option.
Yes! Those tombs are so vile looking to me -- they really need to go. Disney can come up with something so much more inviting and innovative for that space.

MerlinTheGoat

I did read a few comments about that initially, but I really don't know why anyone thought Wall E was about fat shaming. I'd figure anyone who thinks that didn't even see the movie in the first place. In the movie, the generation of people who were responsible for polluting the earth and abandoning it in the first place were all shown to be slender and physically fit people. They were the "villains" so to speak. Becoming fat was simply a slow gradual byproduct of the first generation's adoption and perpetuation of a purely stationary lifestyle where no one walks around anymore. It took generations upon generations (700 years to be precise) of genetic adaptation to even get to the point where everyone was like that naturally (it wasn't just fat one could lose either, there was also a lot of physical bone loss as well). Eventually everyone was just naturally born that way (even the little babies are fat). At that point it was not something they could help. It would take hundreds of years to even restore the proper genetics to the way they were (as seen in the credits showing many generations ahead and the weight damage gradually being repaired over the ages).

The first generation of skinny people in Wall E were essentially responsible not only for razing the planet and abandoning it, they were also responsible for creating an environment with brainwashing and conditioning to perpetuate this lifestyle. Anyone who watched the movie (and didn't walk out half way through) would know it's the fat people who end up doing what their skinny ancestors were too stupid, lazy and selfish to do- take responsibility for themselves and restore their planet back to habitability. Despite their physical degeneration (no doubt making it excruciatingly painful to go back to an active lifestyle after 700 years of not moving) and having every comfort provided for them prior, they chose to take the hard path in life. A stark contrast to their skinny ancestors who both mutilated the planet in the first place and abandoned it. They didn't even complain about the hardships ahead, the captain of the Axiom and pretty much the entire crew knew what lay ahead and they were willing and eager to work hard to achieve the things their ancestors were too stupid and lazy to do.

Any shaming in Wall E is more towards greedy corporate executives who profit at the expense of the planet and people. And to a lesser extent, the ignorant people who who suck up to them, defending them and falling into their trap. Buy n Large is modeled after something like Walmart and other big unethical corporations that are allowed to grow unchecked at an exponential rate, taking over everything while the people let them.

So i'd say the movie is more about warning of the bad habits and choices people make that get them in trouble just in general, and the many consequences they have down the road. Becoming genetically fat in Wall E was simply one of the many consequences of the choices of previous generations.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

"According to this lazy logic, a fat body stands in for a distended culture: We gain weight and the Earth suffers. If only society could get off its big, fat *ss and go on a diet!"
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/green_room/2008/07/fate.html

Oh, for the love of... Didn't they pay attention to portraits? It was thin people, like that spineless President Fred Willard, who ruined the Earth. It was the jolly fat people who brought the human race home!

Siren

I did read a few comments about that initially, but I really don't know why anyone thought Wall E was about fat shaming. I'd figure anyone who thinks that didn't even see the movie in the first place. In the movie, the generation of people who were responsible for polluting the earth and abandoning it in the first place were all shown to be slender and physically fit people. They were the "villains" so to speak. Becoming fat was simply a slow gradual byproduct of the first generation's adoption and perpetuation of a purely stationary lifestyle where no one walks around anymore. It took generations upon generations (700 years to be precise) of genetic adaptation to even get to the point where everyone was like that naturally (it wasn't just fat one could lose either, there was also a lot of physical bone loss as well). Eventually everyone was just naturally born that way (even the little babies are fat). At that point it was not something they could help. It would take hundreds of years to even restore the proper genetics to the way they were (as seen in the credits showing many generations ahead and the weight damage gradually being repaired over the ages).

The first generation of skinny people in Wall E were essentially responsible not only for razing the planet and abandoning it, they were also responsible for creating an environment with brainwashing and conditioning to perpetuate this lifestyle. Anyone who watched the movie (and didn't walk out half way through) would know it's the fat people who end up doing what their skinny ancestors were too stupid, lazy and selfish to do- take responsibility for themselves and restore their planet back to habitability. Despite their physical degeneration (no doubt making it excruciatingly painful to go back to an active lifestyle after 700 years of not moving) and having every comfort provided for them prior, they chose to take the hard path in life. A stark contrast to their skinny ancestors who both mutilated the planet in the first place and abandoned it. They didn't even complain about the hardships ahead, the captain of the Axiom and pretty much the entire crew knew what lay ahead and they were willing and eager to work hard to achieve the things their ancestors were too stupid and lazy to do.

Any shaming in Wall E is more towards greedy corporate executives who profit at the expense of the planet and people. And to a lesser extent, the ignorant people who who suck up to them, defending them and falling into their trap. Buy n Large is modeled after something like Walmart and other big unethical corporations that are allowed to grow unchecked at an exponential rate, taking over everything while the people let them.

So i'd say the movie is more about warning of the bad habits and choices people make that get them in trouble just in general, and the many consequences they have down the road. Becoming genetically fat in Wall E was simply one of the many consequences of the choices of previous generations.
I tend to agree with the gist of your post, however the tone sort of undermines an otherwise perfect message for me. You appear to blame the "people" for shopping at Wal-Mart and other corporations -- when many don't have a choice. High inflation, high unemployment, rising fuel/energy costs, before and after effects of war, lower wages, and scarce high paying and full time jobs create the perfect climate for corporations like Wal-Mart to prosper and grow -- you can't blame the "ignorant people" for this when macroeconomic conditions pressure consumers into shopping at places like Wal-Mart -- granted many people love Wal-Mart but the bigger picture is that more people are desperate and need to save as much money as possible so they will shop at whichever retailer can afford them the cheapest prices -- it's a short term gain, long term loss for consumers.

Oh, for the love of... Didn't they pay attention to portraits? It was thin people, like that spineless President Fred Willard, who ruined the Earth. It was the jolly fat people who brought the human race home!
LOL, too funny! I loved the chubby people in the film, I thought they were funny and adorable!

orlando678-

Let's not forget the many new shows and the rumored upgrade of the gran fiesta tour and the refurb of the seas and the land. I heard they were going to replace the circle of life show with something new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom