2014 ICS Elite Eight: Discussion Thread

englanddg

One Little Spark...
@Zweiland

I know the walkways in front of existing pavilions are off limits, but...is the lagoon and lagoon ring off limits?

It's an either or for me, so I'm very cool if the answer is no (though I'd like it to be yes).

I sent you a PM with details.

MonorailRed

Applebees
@Zweiland

I know the walkways in front of existing pavilions are off limits, but...is the lagoon and lagoon ring off limits?

It's an either or for me, so I'm very cool if the answer is no (though I'd like it to be yes).

I sent you a PM with details.

Thats a very interesting question!

I assumed we can work with a minimal amount the lagoon since other pavilions of the showcase put... stuff in it.

torri-gate-japan-epcot-2-9.jpg

World_Showcase_Lagoon_at_Epcot.jpg

p1080710.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Thats a very interesting question!

I assumed we can work with a minimal amount the lagoon since other pavilions of the showcase put... stuff in it.

torri-gate-japan-epcot-2-9.jpg

World_Showcase_Lagoon_at_Epcot.jpg

p1080710.jpg
@Zweiland clarified earlier that we could use a limited portion of the waterfront DIRECTLY IN FRONT of the new pavilion spaces, so I know that's already fair game...

I'm just curious how "far" we can go exactly.

Not that I'm thinking of building a golden gate bridge across the lagoon or something! I just want to stay within the rules. <grin>

MonorailRed

Applebees
Since @englanddg will not be posting (he didn't say why), @MonorailRed wins by default.

Congratulations Monorailred - you did an awesome job!

BE7vOKL.gif

Thanks @Nemo14! Thanks everyone!

Congrats to @englanddg for making second and I hope everything is alight! Hey, if you even get the chance to post your finale proposal or even PM it, I'd love to see it! :D I had a feeling we'd go in different directions since you grew up with "Original EPCOT" and my earliest memories are 100 Years of Magic and today's EPCOT. :cool:

It's been a blast on the forum, and an honor to compete in the first Elite Eight as one of my last competitions, especially with @jdmdisney99 , @RMichael21 , @tcool , @Voxel , @IDInstitute , and @Matt7187 ! Awesome work on all challenges guys!

But also in general, I'd also like to talk about the ICS and the Imagineer forum. It's been a great few years and a great community to talk about Imagineering! It's hard to find people that have those likes and passions in common, let alone be involved with an exceptional group like you all! The challenges and discussions this year overall have really, I think, changed everyone's mindset with WDI-like Presentations and Disney Parks in general, and that bounces back to WDW in such a way to make us look at it with an open mind and an open Imagination.

So, I guess I'll close this tiny speech with a quote....

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

Keep Moving Forward Everyone!

giphy.gif

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Congrats @MonorailRed on a well deserved win! I would love to have given you at least a touch of competition, but it wasn't going to happen, no matter how much I willed it to be.

So, moving on...I owe everyone some semblance of an explanation as to why I dropped the ball.

I appreciate everyone's concern, and I'll address that first with, yes, all is fine.

It can, largely, be summed up with two words. Time Management. And, we've all been there.

This past week I have come home for the holidays (my parents) and I'm staying two weeks. Travel and packing ate up quite a bit of my time before leaving, and when I got here I ended up not being able to set up my primary computer until Saturday, and had more on my plate (family business, which I will not bore you with here) than I had anticipated.

Both of these tossed rather large monkey wrenches in my plan to take most of Xmas evening and all of Sat and peeling off hours on end to actually, youknow...do the work. Finding other time was, well, just difficult.

In the end, the final due date just snuck up on me, and while I had some content created, I really had nothing to present. Not even something I could toss together for even a halfway coherent final presentation. You all know how I hate seeing others "miss the net", if you will, because I enjoy reading even incomplete presentations as the ideas are just as fun. If I'd had anything that was even remotely coherent, I would have posted...but I didn't.

That being said, those are contributing factors, but Red was able to work around them for herself, why couldn't I?

Like I said, Time Management!

The first week I didn't have those influences or issues complications things, but instead of being smart about it, I focused on outlining and brainstorming, without taking into consideration that I may have other complications the following week.

So, lesson learned, had I broken the project down into meaningful chunks the first week (say, focusing on one pavilion a day) so that all that was left the final week was plussing, some minor art creation, etc...) I would have been fine.

But, like a dummy, I didn't do that! <derpy derp!>

It's a double bitter pill to swallow as this is EXACTLY what got me into trouble during the SA final as well...so, hopefully this jams it into my thick skull!

Sometime next week, when I get stable with my computer situation and other things, I'll post my final in the thread (if @Zweiland is ok with that), just so you all can see where my head was at.

Obviously, the first requirement for these comps is the due date, and regardless of whatever I have (or will) put together, @MonorailRed certainly deserves the crown!

xFrJtHxh.jpg

Last edited:

Zweiland

Original Poster
Congrats @MonorailRed on a well deserved win! I would love to have given you at least a touch of competition, but it wasn't going to happen, no matter how much I willed it to be.

So, moving on...I owe everyone some semblance of an explanation as to why I dropped the ball.

I appreciate everyone's concern, and I'll address that first with, yes, all is fine.

It can, largely, be summed up with two words. Time Management. And, we've all been there.

This past week I have come home for the holidays (my parents) and I'm staying two weeks. Travel and packing ate up quite a bit of my time before leaving, and when I got here I ended up not being able to set up my primary computer until Saturday, and had more on my plate (family business, which I will not bore you with here) than I had anticipated.

Both of these tossed rather large monkey wrenches in my plan to take most of Xmas evening and all of Sat and peeling off hours on end to actually, youknow...do the work. Finding other time was, well, just difficult.

In the end, the final due date just snuck up on me, and while I had some content created, I really had nothing to present. Not even something I could toss together for even a halfway coherent final presentation. You all know how I hate seeing others "miss the net", if you will, because I enjoy reading even incomplete presentations as the ideas are just as fun. If I'd had anything that was even remotely coherent, I would have posted...but I didn't.

That being said, those are contributing factors, but Red was able to work around them for herself, why couldn't I?

Like I said, Time Management!

The first week I didn't have those influences or issues complications things, but instead of being smart about it, I focused on outlining and brainstorming, without taking into consideration that I may have other complications the following week.

So, lesson learned, had I broken the project down into meaningful chunks the first week (say, focusing on one pavilion a day) so that all that was left the final week was plussing, some minor art creation, etc...) I would have been fine.

But, like a dummy, I didn't do that! <derpy derp!>

It's a double bitter pill to swallow as this is EXACTLY what got me into trouble during the SA final as well...so, hopefully this jams it into my thick skull!

Sometime next week, when I get stable with my computer situation and other things, I'll post my final in the thread (if @Zweiland is ok with that), just so you all can see where my head was at.

Obviously, the first requirement for these comps is the due date, and regardless of whatever I have (or will) put together, @MonorailRed certainly deserves the crown!

xFrJtHxh.jpg
My week has been similar. Now you know why I didn't compete. :D

Of course you can post your final submission in the main thread! I'd love to see it.

And congrats Red! (I will formally congratulate you when Marni is done with his critique!)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My week has been similar. Now you know why I didn't compete. :D

Of course you can post your final submission in the main thread! I'd love to see it.

And congrats Red! (I will formally congratulate you when Marni is done with his critique!)
I really have no one to blame but myself, and if I had more than a shotty outline and a less than 1/4 done map, I still would have made a mad dash to the finish line...except...I lost my Sunday night as well to family business!

It just wasn't meant to be, but is completely my fault.

That being said, this is far from a gimmie for Red. She certainly deserved the win, my post or not, and I think we all can agree, she is the Elitist of the Eight, and a jewel of the forum. Everyone's friend, everyone's teammate, and we all know how dedicated she is to the projects, both her's and when she's playing on a team.

I couldn't think of a better person to hold the title!

(That being said, next year, I'll discover how useful a calendar can be in planning out these things and keeping ambitions in check!) <grin>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom