2011 Dining Plan Changes?

Tomi-Rocket

Hope it's not true....

Not sure why there are people hoping for the "death" of the DDP. I'm hoping it's not true nor the other rumors. We've used the DDP on our three family trips and loved it. I like that most of our trip is paid for, except for tips and souveneirs. If you don't like the DDP, just don't use it. Don't wish it away for people who do use it and like it. Now with that being said, it won't be as much fun if they take off the desserts. I'm a dessert person and that was great fun for me and my kids (DH isn't much of a sweets person) to try new and delicious desserts while on vacation. Although I think you should be given a choice of an appetizer or a dessert instead. So, I'll be watching the news, announcements and boards since we are going again next year with the plan of getting the DDP again.

DonaldDoleWhip

Not sure why there are people hoping for the "death" of the DDP. I'm hoping it's not true nor the other rumors. We've used the DDP on our three family trips and loved it. I like that most of our trip is paid for, except for tips and souveneirs. If you don't like the DDP, just don't use it. Don't wish it away for people who do use it and like it. Now with that being said, it won't be as much fun if they take off the desserts. I'm a dessert person and that was great fun for me and my kids (DH isn't much of a sweets person) to try new and delicious desserts while on vacation. Although I think you should be given a choice of an appetizer or a dessert instead. So, I'll be watching the news, announcements and boards since we are going again next year with the plan of getting the DDP again.
It's not that simple. The DDP has made it much harder to get ADRs, even during off seasons (particularly due to free dining). Also, it has contributed to the 'dumbing down' of menus and decrease of quality/variety throughout WDW's table service and counter service restaurants. Some people like to argue the extent of DDP's impact, but the impact is definitely there.

That said, hopefully the dessert says goodbye. Death to the DDP! :sohappy:

mp2bill

has anybody heard of the possibility of changes coming to the DDP for 2011?

On another board I read this....

there is a rumor that they are cutting the desserts off ALL the DDP plans in 2011 (Also dumping the mug from the QS plan- but the regular DDP will get 2 snacks per day instead of 1).

I guess the Virgin UK 2011 packages are out and that is the cuts shown. Not to say it is happening here, but I guess this has been a pretty good predictor to DDP changes in the past... Also, some kind Brit did the exchange rate for us and it looks like the regular DDP goes up to $46 for an adult (despite dropping the desserts) and the DxDDP goes down to $67 (from $72) QS plan is $33 (not sure what it costs now) and they lose desserts and the mug.

Just curious -
thanks,
D

Yeah, I read the same thing. We probably read the same thread. I hope they don't do this, cuz like most other people, I won't be using it if that's the case.

kapeman

Also, it has contributed to the 'dumbing down' of menus and decrease of quality/variety throughout WDW's table service and counter service restaurants. Some people like to argue the extent of DDP's impact, but the impact is definitely there.

That was going to happen whether the Dining plan existed or not.

TDO is all about the cost savings, and generic, one-size-fits-all menus for the whole resort definitely saves money.

DonaldDoleWhip

That was going to happen whether the Dining plan existed or not.

TDO is all about the cost savings, and generic, one-size-fits-all menus for the whole resort definitely saves money.
I didn't say that every change in Disney dining is the fault of the DDP.

But when you have a bunch of people sitting in Artist Point who would never have gone there if it weren't for free dining, and there are adults complaining that their french fries taste like truffle, it's no wonder that the DDP contributes to some of the more negative menu changes.

And without the DDP, a lot of people wouldn't even bother with having a table service meal every day, so there would be more availability. And if less restaurants were fully booked despite mediocre food/service, maybe there would be more of a need to maintain quality and less complacency (especially among the in-park restaurants).

It would be impossible to say the DDP has had no impact on the condition of Disney dining.

GrumpyFan

We have used DDP and the other plans before it numerous times and have always found them to be of great value and convenience. However, for the last few years all the cuts they have made to DDP have really made me reconsider and carefully weigh whether it still held the same value as before. We got the Quick Service DDP last year and used it at Food and Wine festival and found it to be a tremendous value where they let you use your snack options to buy food at the booths around World Showcase. I think we used almost all of our snack options here in one day on our 5 day trip.

kapeman

I didn't say that every change in Disney dining is the fault of the DDP.

But when you have a bunch of people sitting in Artist Point who would never have gone there if it weren't for free dining, and there are adults complaining that their french fries taste like truffle, it's no wonder that the DDP contributes to some of the more negative menu changes.

And without the DDP, a lot of people wouldn't even bother with having a table service meal every day, so there would be more availability. And if less restaurants were fully booked despite mediocre food/service, maybe there would be more of a need to maintain quality and less complacency (especially among the in-park restaurants).

It would be impossible to say the DDP has had no impact on the condition of Disney dining.

I can't argue the DDP's effect on the number of people in the TS restaurants, but I don't think there is any data, empirical or otherwise, that suggest the DDP is the main factor to the perceived, or real, deterioration of the menus.

abe_bb

Just adding my 4cents here (inflation and all!)

Our last few trips, years ago :( we used the dining plan for our group. Usually 4-6 of us. It worked great, was wonderful, etc. But this time...

We have a 10 year old and a 2 year old, and this is our first "Just our family" vacation. Looking at the prices of everything, it's going to be cheaper to pay out of pocket and eat lighter then it is using the package! Take into account these changes, and that just pushes it over the edge.

Not to threadjack, but what is this about 2011 resort and ticket prices going up more then usual? Or did I misinterpret what someone else had said?

majortom1981

Some of the less popular restaurants are, and even through this current downswing, still great.

You are correct that the O'Hana's and Le Celiers have no reason to improve. If you are booked solid every night, why change? In fact, why not see how much you can improve your margin and get away with it?

Now, your lesser known Table Services do still have to compete to show that their numbers are good and therefore, in my opinion, provide a better product. Your Captain's Grille in the Yatchclub, Sanaa in Kindani Village, The Wave in the Contemporary are all vastly better than Cape May's in the Beachclub, Boma in AKL, and O'Hana at the Poly.

Sanaa is very very very popular. I had more trouble getting a sanaa reservation then le celier and I kidani is my home resort.

jakeman

Sanaa is very very very popular. I had more trouble getting a sanaa reservation then le celier and I kidani is my home resort.
Secret must be out then.

We went last summer and last October and it was nice and quiet.

I fear for the menu now that the rabble has found it and will undoubtably start demanding chicken fingers.

sbkline

That wasn't our experience in April.

After feeling like I planned too much for our 2008 trip, I decided to try for a little more spontanaeity on our last trip, so we did the DDP, but we only had 2 ADRs booked prior to the trip, thinking that we would just decide during our trip where to eat.

I called Wednesday or Thursday to make an ADR for Saturday night and my primary choices were on the monorail line, or maybe something at Epcot. Nothing I mentioned was available, but the person on the phone told me that there was one available for Sanaa. Sure, we could have just lucked out and got a recently cancelled time slot, but when we went in for supper, the place didn't look all that busy.

Ausdaddy

Must have been bad luck. I just tried ADR's for Sanaa next weekend and they were still available for dinner. Can't be THAT popular.

chasraz

I thought that since Le Cellier was now a signature restaurant beginning in March 2011 and taking 2 table services the adr's would be easier , but wow still impossible to get a dinner res.

Disney05

It is amazing how Disney keeps stripping the DP. We've used it several times on our trips. We've also gone and not used it. It all depends on our itinerary.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I thought that since Le Cellier was now a signature restaurant beginning in March 2011 and taking 2 table services the adr's would be easier , but wow still impossible to get a dinner res.
I would guess a lot of people want to try the new menu. It's still a fairly small venue, so it'll always be harder to get ADRs, but maybe after the change and people start seeing reviews it might ease up or get even harder. Depends on whether they change things up enough to warrant Signature status.
It is amazing how Disney keeps stripping the DP. We've used it several times on our trips. We've also gone and not used it. It all depends on our itinerary.
I haven't used DDP since they removed the gratuity. The "free" version costs me more than a normal discounted room for myself and Morgan. And with TiW and no DDP we can eat what and where we want without having to make sure we use all our available credits.

If someone likes the convenience of pre-paying for their food, more power to them, but anyone who thinks DDP is a value needs to re-do the math.

We use the DDP most of the time, but I have a feeling this trip (in December) will be our last. As others have said, they keep modifying it, increasing prices, taking stuff off, increasing prices, increasing prices, etc., that it's too complicated and just not worth it.

For me, I hope they (A) get rid of the FREE DDP packages altogether and (B) either modify the DDP so it's usable or get rid of it altogether. I can't stand HAVING to make my dining plans 6 months out and then still not being able to get exactly what I want. That's just insane.

For the past couple of trips, we've started (once again) renting a car (versus taking the Magical Express) so now we've got options (to go off property to eat). Of course, we're also DVC members so we *could* cook in our rooms! Although I barely cook at home; not sure why I'd want to on vacation! :ROFLOL:

DisneyMusician2

I would guess a lot of people want to try the new menu. It's still a fairly small venue, so it'll always be harder to get ADRs, but maybe after the change and people start seeing reviews it might ease up or get even harder. Depends on whether they change things up enough to warrant Signature status.

I haven't used DDP since they removed the gratuity. The "free" version costs me more than a normal discounted room for myself and Morgan. And with TiW and no DDP we can eat what and where we want without having to make sure we use all our available credits.

If someone likes the convenience of pre-paying for their food, more power to them, but anyone who thinks DDP is a value needs to re-do the math.

The Le Cellier thing will always be hard, just the nature of the restaurant.

The DDP for me has always saved me a small bit bit over paying a la carte. My family doesn't normally do breakfast other than a small snack, and we like to sit down every night to a dinner. Even if you just break even, it is worth it to me to know that it is taken care of when I leave.

But I always crunch the numbers, and people should definitely do it before they go. I saved about $30 on my last April trip after doing the math on all of our meals and snacks. It's not much, but it is something.

bhg469

The Le Cellier thing will always be hard, just the nature of the restaurant.

The DDP for me has always saved me a small bit bit over paying a la carte. My family doesn't normally do breakfast other than a small snack, and we like to sit down every night to a dinner. Even if you just break even, it is worth it to me to know that it is taken care of when I leave.

But I always crunch the numbers, and people should definitely do it before they go. I saved about $30 on my last April trip after doing the math on all of our meals and snacks. It's not much, but it is something.

I agree, it is all in how you use it. If you go to epcot and use the counter service points there you come out much better than just settling for a cheeseburger. We also had the huge perk of using the points at the F&W festival. Some items were like $7 using snack points towards those saved us a lot rather than using snack points on a muffin.

Korfar

I will have to assume you mean there is no value when paying for the dining plan. I can see both sides of that argument. However when it is free there is certain vaule. Now, you may save more with room discounts since you most likely stay in deluxe resorts but someone staying in a value or moderate with a family of 4 will save considerably more with free dining than a room discount. We went in September with free dining and saved over $1,600 that way. A room discount in a moderate would never add up to that. Then we still have to pay for our food when we are there. So there is value is the free dining promotion depending on how you like to travel.

Diane Hughess

The Good Ole Days

I totally agree. When DDP first started, with appet. and tip included, we ate like KINGS!! I also remember the servers giving us an attitude if we didn't include an 'extra' tip!! (Remember that??) But before the mainstream DDP, I always rented a car and went offsite for dinner. There are SO many wonderful restaurants in the area, and I feel much better paying $40 for a 16 oz. lobster tail at Charlie's restaurant on International Drive than on dry pasta at Coral Reef! A family of four can have a great meal offsite for $70 or less, including tip, and without waiting an hour after the 'priority seating' time. One other thing I won't miss is the ADR's!! Talk about stressful!! Get up 6:30 am with 2 phones dialing in until someone answered, then spilling out "cinderellasroyaltablefor breakfastmay1firstavailableplease!!!!!!!!!" Then feeling like you won the lottery if you got it! It's sad that it has come to less and less 'value', and I agree that cobwebs will start swinging at some Disney restaurants, leaving them to layoff staff and have more consolidations. When I was little, we NEVER went to sit-down restaurants, so I though it was only for rich people! I'm glad that I was able to experience it with my children to take away the mystery of what was behind the restauratn doors!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom