2011 Dining Plan Changes?

bgraham34

Almost every trip I have taken since DDP has been announced i have weighed the option of getting the plan or not. I have not once seen that it was a good deal for me. Especially with the desert option with dinner. We never want desert after the meal, we much prefer the snacks in the parks. I always noticed I needed to spend at least 27 bucks on a meal to break even, it just did not work for me. Now if there was an option for appitizer it works better in my opinion than desert.

Dwarful

So do you think WDW has gone to seasonal pricing to inflate the prices to help sell the DDP? We aren't doing the dining plan, we just aren't going to eat as many sit downs at WDW. I just don't feel a buffet is worth $38 for dinner esp. for a 10 yr old. (Biergartens summer seasonal pricing). I have in the past used the ddp and other meal plans since '95. We did the old dining plan with big groups and it was very nice to have everything paid up front...although we still did tip extra (we were 36 people including lots of young girls..girl scout trip). So many changes..not worth it for us anymore. But again, most of the new 'seasonal' meal prices aren't worth that either..so we just eat fewer sit downs and spend more time in the parks riding rides.

sbkline

So do you think WDW has gone to seasonal pricing to inflate the prices to help sell the DDP? We aren't doing the dining plan, we just aren't going to eat as many sit downs at WDW. I just don't feel a buffet is worth $38 for dinner esp. for a 10 yr old. (Biergartens summer seasonal pricing). I have in the past used the ddp and other meal plans since '95. We did the old dining plan with big groups and it was very nice to have everything paid up front...although we still did tip extra (we were 36 people including lots of young girls..girl scout trip). So many changes..not worth it for us anymore. But again, most of the new 'seasonal' meal prices aren't worth that either..so we just eat fewer sit downs and spend more time in the parks riding rides.

No, a buffet isn't worth $38 for dinner, but the question is, if you ate a buffet out of pocket, and ate at a counter service out of pocket, and bought one snack out of pocket, how much would that come up to altogether? If it is $38 or less, then it's not worth it...at least for that particular day. But if the total out of pocket would come up to more than $38, then the DDP would have saved you money.

I remember on our April trip, being surprised at how much we seemingly saved when I actually looked at the final bill for some of our restaraunts. It was my wife and son and I, so we're talking about 40 dollars for her, 40 for me, and around 12 for my son. So, the DDP, for us, cost around 92 dollars a day. Yet I remember noticing at at least two of the restaraunts (maybe more, but I think two for sure that I specifically remember), the total bill was around 145 dollars or so for all 3 of us. And that's the amount the DDP covered, not necessarily anything out of pocket. Grand Floridian Cafe was one of them for sure.

So for us, the dining plan has definitely saved us money. As I said earlier, I'm not sure if we will do it or not this next time, if they remove the dessert, and since we like to go off property and it would be nice to have the freedom to eat off property without having to try to be sure to use those credits later on so as not to waste them. But for the convenience at the amount we potentially save, it may be worth it to go ahead and do it again. If we go off property and "miss" a table service meal, we could always make up for it by doing a signature restaraunt, or doing a table service breakfast and a table service supper in the same day.

Any more word on whether this dessert rumor is true?

tirian

Almost every trip I have taken since DDP has been announced i have weighed the option of getting the plan or not. I have not once seen that it was a good deal for me. Especially with the desert option with dinner. We never want desert after the meal, we much prefer the snacks in the parks. I always noticed I needed to spend at least 27 bucks on a meal to break even, it just did not work for me. Now if there was an option for appitizer it works better in my opinion than desert.

I hate sand it my food, too. Now if I were getting dessert, I'd be happy with a big piece of pie.

:p Not trying to be a jerk. :wave:

(Remember, dessert has two s' because you always want more...well, except for you, since you don't like dessert. :lol:)

tirian

No, a buffet isn't worth $38 for dinner, but the question is, if you ate a buffet out of pocket, and ate at a counter service out of pocket, and bought one snack out of pocket, how much would that come up to altogether? If it is $38 or less, then it's not worth it...at least for that particular day. But if the total out of pocket would come up to more than $38, then the DDP would have saved you money.

I remember on our April trip, being surprised at how much we seemingly saved when I actually looked at the final bill for some of our restaraunts. It was my wife and son and I, so we're talking about 40 dollars for her, 40 for me, and around 12 for my son. So, the DDP, for us, cost around 92 dollars a day. Yet I remember noticing at at least two of the restaraunts (maybe more, but I think two for sure that I specifically remember), the total bill was around 145 dollars or so for all 3 of us. And that's the amount the DDP covered, not necessarily anything out of pocket. Grand Floridian Cafe was one of them for sure.

So for us, the dining plan has definitely saved us money. As I said earlier, I'm not sure if we will do it or not this next time, if they remove the dessert, and since we like to go off property and it would be nice to have the freedom to eat off property without having to try to be sure to use those credits later on so as not to waste them. But for the convenience at the amount we potentially save, it may be worth it to go ahead and do it again. If we go off property and "miss" a table service meal, we could always make up for it by doing a signature restaraunt, or doing a table service breakfast and a table service supper in the same day.

I'm not sure if the desserts will be dropped, but it's highly likely the era of free dining plans will end within the next two years. This is only a rumor right now, but it's got some very strong legs.

Dwarful

Sorry, I wasn't clear before. This summer when we are going the cost of the dining plan would be $46.99 per adult and $12.99 per child (the kid's prices are fine). We used to use the DDP all the time. But with these inflated prices...$38 for buffets, we will eat sit downs as late breakfasts or early lunches and pay out of pocket. We can do better this route. We always go for the early entry so taking a break around 1 PM is fine because we have been on the go for about 7 hours by then. Then we can do counterservice for dinner and most places for our CS meals we don't even eat that chocolate cake or carrot cake, so we wouldn't normally pay for that anyway. It just seems that they are slowly devaluing the dining plan and one way they are doing that is with the seasonal prices. I do miss having everything paid in advanced. I just don't want to fork out $170+ each day on dining and then stress about getting my money's worth. To me, I wouldn't pay $38 for the buffet. It's not worth $38. However, if Disney can convince everyone to buy the plan to save money...by raising buffet prices to crazy amounts...then the 'value' of the plan is there. I'm just not buying it as a 'savings' when they have bumped the prices like that. But you are right, with these prices it is cheaper to do the plan if you will eat one sit down everyday..even if it is a breakfast or lunch simply because of the seasonal pricing.

tirian

Sorry, I wasn't clear before. This summer when we are going the cost of the dining plan would be $46.99 per adult and $12.99 per child (the kid's prices are fine). We used to use the DDP all the time. But with these inflated prices...$38 for buffets, we will eat sit downs as late breakfasts or early lunches and pay out of pocket. We can do better this route. We always go for the early entry so taking a break around 1 PM is fine because we have been on the go for about 7 hours by then. Then we can do counterservice for dinner and most places for our CS meals we don't even eat that chocolate cake or carrot cake, so we wouldn't normally pay for that anyway. It just seems that they are slowly devaluing the dining plan and one way they are doing that is with the seasonal prices. I do miss having everything paid in advanced. I just don't want to fork out $170+ each day on dining and then stress about getting my money's worth. To me, I wouldn't pay $38 for the buffet. It's not worth $38. However, if Disney can convince everyone to buy the plan to save money...by raising buffet prices to crazy amounts...then the 'value' of the plan is there. I'm just not buying it as a 'savings' when they have bumped the prices like that. But you are right, with these prices it is cheaper to do the plan if you will eat one sit down everyday..even if it is a breakfast or lunch simply because of the seasonal pricing.

You hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what's happening. :(

majortom1981

hmm

After this past week in disney i feel ddp is not worth it for me. My wife and I tend to like the cheaper restaraunts anyway. Heck we could eat lunch everyday at the Bar in sanaa. One bread service that we share and two drinks.

WildcatDen

Its worth pointing out that the e-mails Ive had from travel companies all have free dining, so perhaps this is the wean off that yer man was referring to

I think this is closer to the truth than any other comment I have read. It does seem like "Free Dining" is more common than not. If I were going to provide a "Free Service" I think I would be more inclined to decrease the value as well. That way, for those who do not get it "Free", they would consider not getting it at all thus Disney would be getting full value for those meals.

Unfortunately, perceived value trumps actual value in most peoples eyes. . .

PatriciaH

I loved the Food and Fun plan. The current DP not much at all. I did Food and Fun in 1993, 1994 and 1996. It was about $36-38pp per day (adult) and at first included breakfast and dinner but then switched to a choice of breakfast OR lunch and dinner. It included drink, appetizer, entree, dessert and tip. It also included coupons for boating (including pontoon fireworks cruises and Breathless!) tennis, horseback riding, etc. Really good deal!

tirian

I loved the Food and Fun plan. The current DP not much at all. I did Food and Fun in 1993, 1994 and 1996. It was about $36-38pp per day (adult) and at first included breakfast and dinner but then switched to a choice of breakfast OR lunch and dinner. It included drink, appetizer, entree, dessert and tip. It also included coupons for boating (including pontoon fireworks cruises and Breathless!) tennis, horseback riding, etc. Really good deal!

I remember those. Every golden offer we old timers remember comes from the era when Disney considered WDW a vacation resort, not a Timeshare Kingdom for little kids. :(

The constant upgrades and improvements, high-quality food at reasonable resort prices, cutting-edge tech attractions, new parades, and commitment to long-term results have been smothered in the pile of short-term spreadsheets.*

But newer must be better, right? Walt loved change, right? :rolleyes:

*I concede the maintenance which has been ignored since 1999 is now happening, along with improvements to quick service dining locations. And the FLE will finally bring much-needed dining and space to the MK, even though one E ticket isn't enough for capacity.

DisneyJoe

In 1997 and 1999, it was approximately $50 per adult per night and $20 per child per night, but they "gave" you credit for $55 per adult per night and $25 per child per night - as well as certain allowances for recreation. Your credit could be spent on just about any food item at any restaurant, and I believe it may have even included alcohol and gratuities. Any money left on the plan you did not get back.

Our trips those years were 7 nights each.

We used this in 1997 and my parents joined us for a few days and we treated them to a few big meals - and we still had about $75 left over that we spent on cookies and other snacks to stuff our suitcases on the way home.

In 1999, it was just the 3 of us ( 2 adults and an 8yo son ), and we ended up with roughly $200 left over - and there was no way we were going to fit all of those items into an extra suitcase, so we lost money.

I would do that plan again, as you could easily see the dollar to dollar match on the plan.

po1998

What I'm hoping is that they are trying to phase out DDP in order to return the park dining to a walk-up situation (although I doubt this will happen). It is very hard to have a fun, relaxing vacation when you're constantly having to stick to a dining schedule. My wife and I plan our park visits around ADRs, which allows little or no spontaneity.

I agree 100%. I'd rather not survive on CS for an entire trip(except for maybe one character breakfast), but I refuse to have my vacation dictated by DDP & ADR's.

Maybe the quality of food/service would improve with the death of DDP? :shrug: What incentive do they currently have to improve, when the majority of people(or so it seems) are on the DDP and they already have YOUR money in THEIR pockets?

jakeman

What incentive do they currently have to improve, when the majority of people(or so it seems) are on the DDP and they already have YOUR money in THEIR pockets?
Some of the less popular restaurants are, and even through this current downswing, still great.

You are correct that the O'Hana's and Le Celiers have no reason to improve. If you are booked solid every night, why change? In fact, why not see how much you can improve your margin and get away with it?

Now, your lesser known Table Services do still have to compete to show that their numbers are good and therefore, in my opinion, provide a better product. Your Captain's Grille in the Yatchclub, Sanaa in Kindani Village, The Wave in the Contemporary are all vastly better than Cape May's in the Beachclub, Boma in AKL, and O'Hana at the Poly.

CDMagic

This is an interesting change to say the least... As a QSR Cast Member, I can honestly say that the Dinning Plan is very popular with Guests as it is now. I'd roughly estimate that 60 to 70 percent of the guests staying in a Disney Resort are on one of the Meal Plans .I don't know if this change will take place (or why it would) but I hope it doesn't happen.

abihler;4115293]okay so i have used the DDP only 2 times in all my trips. honestly i liked using it both times i did but then i was with my daughter, son-in-law & 2 grandkids who had the DDxDP. i found that i each day used i would have spent more than what the DDP costed me.

NOWWWWW with the above said i have to admit that if i am taking a solo trip or go with my younger daughter then i would not use the DDP. WHYYYY? because we do far less sit down dinners, usually only le cellier and tepan edo. thus it has less value to me. the real problem to me is that to make full use of DDP you need to use the ADRs and thus you need to structure your whole trip (which park you go to or time you go there) around your ADR and not what you feel like doing. I REALLY MISS being able to go in each day and decide hmmm i want to eat here or there. my way of thinking is DO AWAY WITH the ADRs completely except for SIGNATURE dining and thus the only reservations for that day would be from ONLY RESORTS guests that day, to me this would make the walkup requests possible again.

now for the wrapup.... from reading these forums and the suggestions from posters i think that someone in disney too read them and the dropping of the dessert is something most posters said they are okay with IF they got something else instead and i think that something else is the extra snack. TP ME on the surface this seems like a good move on disney's part but the problem is the additional cost especially given that they may be dropping the cost of the DDxDP. if you REALLY like sit downs, like my elder daughter;s family, then the DDxDP makes far more sense and a better bargain than the DDP. SO I AGREE that someone in disney is trying to setup the DDP so eventually it could be dropped in favor of having only the QSP and the DDxDP.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with removing the desserts. We are usually too full by the end of our sit down meals. And, the QS desserts aren't too tasty.

bamillerpa

We done our trips both ways. The last two trips we had the dining plan and loved it. Three years ago we didn't. We found that without the dining plan we spent less money on food than what we would have spent on the plan BUT we couldn't make ourselves eat at the good restaurants that cost more money. We didn't want to spend all that money while on vacation. With the dining plan we made sure to make ADRs at the more expensive restaurants and enjoyed our meals more. Yes, with the dining plan we actually end up spending more money but with the dining plan we end up with a more varied menu that we wouldn't want to pay for out of pocket at the time we are there. When we add up our meal prices the dining plan does save us money for what we ordered. Does that make sense the way I said it? If we had bought all of our food, drinks, and snacks out of pocket we would have paid much more if we hadn't purchased the plan but we also end up spending more money because we wouldn't have ordered or eaten at the places that we do with the plan. We are going again this September and have the DDP. I love having everything paid for (except the tip) upfront since my husband becomes cheap once we are there. For our trips I simply price it out with the dining and everything included and give him the total. He's fine with that but once we are there he hates spending extra money so having the DDP and the ability to have a really good table service meal every night is priceless to me! We've been to restaurants that we otherwise would never have tried. I know a lot of people hate the plan but for us it's what makes the entire Disney experience complete.

tirian

abihler;4115293]okay so i have used the DDP only 2 times in all my trips. honestly i liked using it both times i did but then i was with my daughter, son-in-law & 2 grandkids who had the DDxDP. i found that i each day used i would have spent more than what the DDP costed me.

NOWWWWW with the above said i have to admit that if i am taking a solo trip or go with my younger daughter then i would not use the DDP. WHYYYY? because we do far less sit down dinners, usually only le cellier and tepan edo. thus it has less value to me. the real problem to me is that to make full use of DDP you need to use the ADRs and thus you need to structure your whole trip (which park you go to or time you go there) around your ADR and not what you feel like doing. I REALLY MISS being able to go in each day and decide hmmm i want to eat here or there. my way of thinking is DO AWAY WITH the ADRs completely except for SIGNATURE dining and thus the only reservations for that day would be from ONLY RESORTS guests that day, to me this would make the walkup requests possible again.

now for the wrapup.... from reading these forums and the suggestions from posters i think that someone in disney too read them and the dropping of the dessert is something most posters said they are okay with IF they got something else instead and i think that something else is the extra snack. TP ME on the surface this seems like a good move on disney's part but the problem is the additional cost especially given that they may be dropping the cost of the DDxDP. if you REALLY like sit downs, like my elder daughter;s family, then the DDxDP makes far more sense and a better bargain than the DDP. SO I AGREE that someone in disney is trying to setup the DDP so eventually it could be dropped in favor of having only the QSP and the DDxDP.

Totally agree with removing the desserts. We are usually too full by the end of our sit down meals. And, the QS desserts aren't too tasty.

Nearly everyone is still missing the most important point. If the desserts are removed, Disney is not trading an even value for your desserts by giving you an extra snack.

Your "dessert" has unlimited dollar value, from banana splits to creme brulee. "Snacks" have strict definitions (there's actually a book available at the Main Street Confectionery), and are usually worth under $4. For example, a "dessert" could be applied to packages of fresh fruit at a resort; a "snack" is merely a single apple or banana. It's true that the deluxe resorts used to be more generous with their snack options, but Disney has started cracking down on this over the last 8 months.

You are not getting an even trade by losing desserts at every meal for one more snack.

Nearly everyone is still missing the most important point. If the desserts are removed, Disney is not trading an even value for your desserts by giving you an extra snack.

Your "dessert" has unlimited dollar value, from banana splits to creme brulee. "Snacks" have strict definitions (there's actually a book available at the Main Street Confectionery), and are usually worth under $4. For example, a "dessert" could be applied to packages of fresh fruit at a resort; a "snack" is merely a single apple or banana. It's true that the deluxe resorts used to be more generous with their snack options, but Disney has started cracking down on this over the last 8 months.

You are not getting an even trade by losing desserts at every meal for one more snack.

Totally agree... at least for sit-downs, I don't wart to lose that. I will take an extra snack though even if I gave up the counter service desserts... which i feel are terrible. That being said though, I still feel (based on the language differences from this year to next) that the only changes will be losing the mug for the quick service plan and gaining a snack on the DDP - no loss of dessert anywhere.

We've always used the DDP, but if the price goes up any more, we will definitely opt out. We mainly do it for the convenience. I like the "all-inclusive" vacation that using the DDP gives us (the ease of only showing your room key and then eat away!).

Now, I don't mind if Disney wants to drop the dessert and add a snack... BUT... to increase the price along with that is, to me, ridiculous. A "snack" is an orange or a box of popcorn. At least with a dessert, you had a chance of a nice delicious concoction but not so with an extra "snack" option. I do agree, though, that I often just get the included dessert so it doesn't go to waste. Having the option to get a little something later on is nice -- so long as that "little something" is as good as a cheesecake and not an orange.

As for ease of reservations if the DDP goes away, I hope that's true. I love planning my Disney vacations, but for some reason, this year, I'm having a heck of a time figuring out where I want to eat 6 months from now (which reminds me, I have to start making my DDP plans Sunday for my December vacation). I really do miss the option to simply walk up to any restaurant and have a 50/50 chance of getting a table when you wanted one. Now; forget it. You'd have a better chance of seeing it snow on Main Street in July than to walk up to, say, Le Cellier at any given moment!

Oh, and I really miss the old Food and Fun plan! We had that 16 years ago on our honeymoon and it was awesome. Wish they would bring something like that back again.

Judy my 2-cents...

Judy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom