2011 Dining Plan Changes?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I personally barely use the snacks, but always order the dessert. I always end up using 3 or four on the last day of the trip.

I also personally don't think I eat like a hippo, just as a point of information. As hippos, it would be very tough to do the marathon running my wife and I train for. I'm not sure that enjoying a dessert on vacation that I don't get to normally enjoy makes me a hippo.

How you choose to eat is your own business. However, characterizing people who might enjoy a full sit-down meal as hippos is a stark generalization based on your opinion. It is nowhere near universal truth and is quite insulting to those of us who understand nutrition and exercise. Or at least myself.

I would appreciate it if you would not project your feelings onto my words. I said eat like a hippo, not look like one. Take it easy.

DisneyMusician2

I would appreciate it if you would not project your feelings onto my words. I said eat like a hippo, not look like one. Take it easy.

I'm not angry with you. Just thought I would tell you how the comment could be taken, and how I did.

If that is not what you meant, I accept that. But then it is a poorly worded comment. I apologize if I misinterpreted your words, but it does look that way to the reader. If you did not mean to illicit "feelings" from your comment, simply don't post it.

sublimesting

I never have a chance to get to the FW festival. How do the snack credits work with the new prices at the booths?

We used the snack credits last year. One snack credit = one item from the vendor. So, we went for 10 days and thus had 20 snack credits to use at FW. The DW and I shared everything so we sampled everything there there that we wanted....it was awesome. I would never pay the $5-6 per small serving, so an eli9mination of the DDP would kind of ruin the FW for me.

DisneyMusician2

We used the snack credits last year. One snack credit = one item from the vendor. So, we went for 10 days and thus had 20 snack credits to use at FW. The DW and I shared everything so we sampled everything there there that we wanted....it was awesome. I would never pay the $5-6 per small serving, so an eli9mination of the DDP would kind of ruin the FW for me.

Wow, nice deal. I can never find a good use for those credits... I am unable to get time off around then, and I always miss it. Something I hope is still around when I retire.

Of course, I have another 20 years to go...

luvlifeinfl

Hiya Shelly! :wave: We (me and Linds) actually are ditching the DDP this year - loved it last year but face it, it was more food then the 2 of us could ever consume (lol) so we are going this year without it. Actually made my ADR's today - am PSYCHED!!! Got breakfast for Cinderella's Royal Table FINALLYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah!!

Hey Lisalyn, I sent you a PM, but I am going make a point here so others can see it.

As I said to you that if you know the DDP is 39.99 a day and you know how many days you will be going then I think if you take so much and set it aside you could easily save that and instead of going on the DDP you might find you might have a little left over. I am actually willing to try that and I think after being so many times that I have come to realize that is what Disney wants for you to stay on property, in the parks and spend money.

DisneyMusician2

Hey Lisalyn, I sent you a PM, but I am going make a point here so others can see it.

As I said to you that if you know the DDP is 39.99 a day and you know how many days you will be going then I think if you take so much and set it aside you could easily save that and instead of going on the DDP you might find you might have a little left over. I am actually willing to try that and I think after being so many times that I have come to realize that is what Disney wants for you to stay on property, in the parks and spend money.

And accidentally wander by a DVC kiosk while you are at it, to keep the cash line open:)

luvlifeinfl

And accidentally wander by a DVC kiosk while you are at it, to keep the cash line open:)

Ok, what does that mean, I am actually am a DVC owner now and for my family it is just is going to make more sense to not try the DDP for a change since we have a villa and we could return to the resort to have dinner.

DisneyMusician2

Ok, what does that mean, I am actually am a DVC owner now and for my family it is just is going to make more sense to not try the DDP for a change since we have a villa and we could return to the resort to have dinner.

It means I think they have too many DVC kiosks in the parks. And some of my family has a share as well. But we always add on the DDP. Well, maybe not anymore.

I was reacting to the comment that Disney tries to keep you in the parks, and the DDP and DVC are ways of doing that.

sbkline

We've stayed on property 3 times now and have used the DDP all three times, including 2007, when appetizer was still included. Even without appetizer, I've done the math and found it to be a money saver, providing of course, that you don't choose the cheap buffets for all your table service meals.

However, if this latest news is true, even though the math would probably STILL show it to save money vs out of pocket, I have a good mind to drop the DDP for our next trip. While the DDP DOES save money, the downside is that it is restrictive for people like us who like to go off property more than once per trip. Because if you do a day off property, then you have to pay out of pocket for food at THAT venue, plus you then have to fannagle it such that you use that extra meal credit at some point so that you don't waste it. On this last trip, for example, we had originally planned to visit Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios. However, with our son along, we had to go at a much slower pace and were not able to get as much done at the Disney parks in one day, so the day we planned to do IofA, we went back to Animal Kingdom instead to cover missed ground from our first day. And the day we were supposed to go to Universal, we went back to DHS to cover lost ground. Also, we wanted to get our money's worth out of the Disney tickets we had already purchased rather than spending money for the 3 of us at Universal for 2 days. And, in that whole thing was also the fact that we would have had to sit down and eat lunch out of pocket each of those two days, and then find a way to use that DDP credit at some other point.

So, long story short, if we scrapped the DDP on our next trip, it would give us the freedom to go wherever we want off property and not feel like we have to be confined on property to use those DDP credits. And I DO want to do the Universal parks, although I have planned to do Universal the past two trips and have stayed on property after all each time. Not getting the dessert as part of the DDP may be that last necessary incentive to persuade us to pay for ALL meals out of pocket so that we can eat anywhere we want, on property or off, without having to worry how our DDP account is going to be affected.

audiotinker

Personally, I never minded planning my trip a million months in advance including what park we have to be at and when, and where we are eating. I like doing that because then I have a trip itinerary its not like, "So, what are we doing today???" We actually get to do everything we want. So, planning "around the meals" has never ever been a big deal to me. Usually I work where we are eating in with what park has EMH that night, so we have the extra time anyway and it doesn't eat into the day. Of course that makes for a very long trip, but its our kind of trip. For people that want to do away with the plan for good, I can understand why, but for my husband and I, we are foodies, so we love going to the different restaurants and trying stuff we wouldn't normally, including desserts. Its just a bit frustrating to me that if they take this away you won't be able to pay ahead of time, and that plays with my mind. I would rather pay $80 ahead of time then $80 at the time of the meal. Is that weird????? lol :veryconfu

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Why do some folk assume that the death of the current DDP would lead to the demise of restaurants?

All that is happening is that the value of the plan is eroded against pay as you eat. So those who want a fixed budget can still get fed and watered at a basic level.

Its owrth pointing out that the e-mails Ive had from travel companies all have free dining, so perhaps this is the wean off that yer man was referring to

Batphobic

I've used the DDP 3 times over the last year and a half and we actually love it... of course the fact that during this period there have been a couple "free dining plan" promotions might have something to do with it. But that's another thing to think about - how will they do a similar promotion w/o DDP? Just give away vouchers for meals or something?

In any case - we love the DDP. If I wasn't on it I'd buy the $11 sandwich rather than the $25 rib plate... but now I get to enjoy the ribs.

Going again in September and looking forward to no-stress dining on the plan.

Vince3

I've used the DDP 3 times over the last year and a half and we actually love it... of course the fact that during this period there have been a couple "free dining plan" promotions might have something to do with it. But that's another thing to think about - how will they do a similar promotion w/o DDP? Just give away vouchers for meals or something?

In any case - we love the DDP. If I wasn't on it I'd buy the $11 sandwich rather than the $25 rib plate... but now I get to enjoy the ribs.

Going again in September and looking forward to no-stress dining on the plan.
Yeah, I agree with you. I can't understand the hate for DDP. We have saved a ton of money with our trips.

Mouse Man

The DDP is worth it. Used it when it was the Food and fun plan from 2000 on. Eat at the best Resteraunts, get what ever we want without worrying about money and enjoyed the whole experience. Now since only this forum hates the DP and the DDP why don't we just do away with them all together. I bet you will see easy to get reservations again and I am quite sure you will eventually have less choices to eat at. Looks like International drive is going to love this. If you do not think this won't happen you are sadly mistaken. Prior to 2000 the DWF and I would eat breakfast and dinner off propperty and save a ton of money. Then we deceided to try the Food and Fun plan and realized what a hell of a nicer vacation we had. Let's see IHOP for two for $13 dollars or $80 dollars for chef Mickey's. By current economics and state of affairs I do not see the resteraunts in Disney being able to compete with International drive. The DDP as it's now called kept us on Disney propperty eating all our meals and snacks there. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Christi22222

I do believe that folks are welcome to like or not like the DDP. To each his own. However, the end of the DDP would certainly not cause the restaurants to struggle or have lesser offerings! They were all doing fine before the DDP and will continue to do so after. Many folks don't choose to drive all the way off property just to eat. The lost time ($ for park tickets) is greater than money saved eating. Also, with Magical Express many folks don't even have a car available on property.

slowbee

We've been using the DDP for the last 3 years or so. For our family, it saves money. We have three children under 10 and two adults.. so, per day it costs us about 120 bucks a day for the standard plan.

If we eat at Chef Mickeys (35 bucks and 14 for kids), that's roughly 115 bucks for dinner. Add 50 bucks for lunch at Pizza Planet and then 10 bucks for the waters and dole whips, we save a few bucks... even after you calculate the tip in dinner.

Now, when my kids are old enough (11 year old girls) and we want to do the DDP, I think we're going to have to opt out. Because I know my girls don't justify the 40 bucks I have to pay for the 'adult' DDP and then I lose a fortune.

I don't mind the ADR's. I know the places we like to eat at and always have a reservation somewhere new each trip. But, being a DVC member, I'm sure we're there more than the average guest and don't mind the planning portion.

KJ1081

I'm all for eliminating the dessert and adding a second snack. After a huge meal we're always too full for dessert, yet stuff it in so it doesn't go to waste. I'd much rather have extra snack credits to grab something later on. The way I see it, is more snack credits mean more dole whips- so its a win-win for me! lol Regardless, we'll always do the dining plan simply so we don't have to worry about money when we're on vacation. Some say you can save money without the DDP, and I'm sure thats true for them, but if you're using your credits at restaurants like Le Cellier, Coral Reef, etc, as we do, then the DDP makes sense for us. After out last trip, we added up what we would've spent out of pocket for the same meals, and we saved over $200 on the DDP. When I'm on vacation, I don't want to order the basic sandwiches and such to save money- I want the steak, ribs, etc, so for us the DDP is the way to go.

Mouse Man

I do believe that folks are welcome to like or not like the DDP. To each his own. However, the end of the DDP would certainly not cause the restaurants to struggle or have lesser offerings! They were all doing fine before the DDP and will continue to do so after. Many folks don't choose to drive all the way off property just to eat. The lost time ($ for park tickets) is greater than money saved eating. Also, with Magical Express many folks don't even have a car available on property.

Actually they had the food and fun plan that was the predaccessor to the DDP. You are right that all have a right to like or dislike the DP & the DDP. Like I said why not get rid of the plan (which I happen to like and would hope would not go away) and see how well the resteraunts will do. What you fail to see is that many are going to WDW staying on propperty and leaving to go somewhere else for breakfast and dinner. There are many of us that use the plan, why because the vacation becomes all inclusive and worries free. We love to eat at the top resteraunts while on vacation and save a ton of money. We don't get chicken sandwiches and burgers but enjoy the Garden Grille for lunch, china, Boma's and so on. The resteraunts if the plan ended today would not nearly draw the crowds and would have to start thinking of cut backs and or lay off's. When your use to getting over $4,000 a night (hypothetical number could be more or less) and then reduce that number by half, you tell me how the laws of economics will not come into play.
I really thought about this a little more and really do not care for the dessert that comes with most of the meals Creme-Bru-le (YUK) or always cheesecake. I love going to France for the Bakery and that little stand that makes crepes or the Bakery in Norway (YUM) then throw in Beaches and Cream or my fav Ghiardelli's and now your talking dessert.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom