2009 Theme Park Attendance Report Released

WDWFigment

But revenue isn't as high as they might want due to AP rates. I mean, it's tough. Do you want the attendance numbers or more money?

Comparatively speaking, though, Disneyland has always been an AP park. So while you're right that revenue isn't as high because of this, it's not as if that 8% increase is a disproportionate increase in AP revenue. Put another way, the 8% increase shouldn't have an asterisk next to it because of the AP-base. This is a common characteristic of DLR's attendance numbers every year.

Conversely, the percentage increases at WDW might need just such as asterisk due to all of the excessive resort and gift card discounts. So while they got more people into the parks than normal, they made a Faustian Bargain, of sorts, to get that accomplished. Since the decreased revenue at the resorts and on merchandise doesn't occur every year, it is a meaningful statistic.

jakeman

I think universal will also benefit pretty well from potter opening.
Anecdotial I know, but my family will be visiting IoA for the first time in almost 8 years because of Harry Potter.

I know I'm not a normal Disney goer by any means, but we actually extended our vacation to accomidate Harry Potter rather than give up a day of our Disney stay.

It would interesting to see what is the case more in the realm of Disney park goers: Disney vacations remaining the same with the Disney parks losing a day or two, or Disney vacations being extended.

I know there will be a smaller percentage that will give up Disney all together in favor of IoA, but the above senerios would be very interesting to analyze.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Good numbers for Disney across the board. Shocking for Universal, they are in a real tail spin.

Interesting on the water parks, Aquatica attendance down, Typhoon and Blizzard remain flat.

jakeman

Conversely, the percentage increases at WDW might need just such as asterisk due to all of the excessive resort and gift card discounts. So while they got more people into the parks than normal, they made a Faustian Bargain, of sorts, to get that accomplished. Since the decreased revenue at the resorts and on merchandise doesn't occur every year, it is a meaningful statistic.
I think it would be interesting to see just how much of a discount these discounts really are.

I would think that we could map the price increases from say (arbitrially) the early 90's to now for key price points, mainly lodging and admission (an estimate would have to be made for dining as plans didn't always exist).

We would need two trend lines, one showing the standard increases in full price tickets, food, and rooms and another showing the increases less discounts.

I would bet that the first, with the full prices would look almost logarithmic in their increases. The second line would probably be a bit more interesting.

I guess my question would be, are they really discounts? Or is the product overpriced now and the discounts provide the allusion of a bargain, much like when 12 packs of Coke go on sale for $4.50 when the price was increased to $6.00 the week before.

devoy1701

this looks great. Nice to see the 6 domestic parks are the top 6 parks in our country. And also nice to see that Disney Parks are at the top of every continent they occupy.

I didn't realize that Epcot only saw about half the amount of foot traffic that MK did, I would have thought those numbers would have been a little closer. I also applaud the ~10% increase in attendance at the California parks. The last thing I was surprised about was how low Uni-Orlando's numbers were compared to WDW... who the heck cares about Potter now...Uni needs the business!

120 Million people worldwide visited a Disney Park last year...that's a pretty impressive number!

fillerup

As rivals struggle, Disney widens gap

By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel

Although it was forced to take a hit to its bottom line, Walt Disney World managed to use the global economic downturn to pull some business away from its theme-park rivals.

A closely watched industry report released Monday found that all four of Disney World’s theme parks managed to eke out attendance gains last year, despite the worst recession since the Great Depression. At the same time, the report found that both Universal Orlando and SeaWorld Orlando suffered substantial losses.

The result was what analysts called one of the most dramatic shifts in Orlando’s theme-park market in years.

“The strongest do the best in hard times, and Disney was able to really do its best to counteract the recession,” said Ray Braun, a senior vice president with AECOM, the Los Angeles-based business-research firm that prepared the annual attendance estimates along with the Themed Entertainment Association. “By holding their own, they gained market share.”

According to the 2009 attendance estimates, the Magic Kingdom remained the world’s busiest theme park, with 17.2 million visitors, up 1 percent from a year earlier. The rest of Disney World’s theme parks — Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom — each recorded slight gains of between 0.5 percent and 1 percent.

On the other hand, attendance plummeted 10 percent at Universal Studios Florida, to 5.53 million, and 11.3 percent at Islands of Adventure, to 4.63 million.

Those drops were so sharp that SeaWorld Orlando leapfrogged Universal Studios to become Central Florida’s busiest non-Disney theme park. But SeaWorld’s attendance of 5.8 million people was still 6.8 percent below a year earlier.

Orlando’s water parks saw a similar shift, with Disney World’s Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach both maintaining flat attendance while SeaWorld’s Aquatica and the Universal-owned Wet ‘N Wild declined.
All of the figures compiled by AECOM and the Themed Entertainment Association are unofficial and have in the past been criticized by Orlando’s big parks as unreliable. But in the absence of official tallies from the parks themselves, the figures are widely used within the industry as estimates.
Braun and other analysts attributed Disney World’s market-share gains to the resort’s targeted use of discounts, which helped lure tourists despite a steep drop in travel overall. All of Disney’s most significant promotions during the year — including seven nights for the price of four and free dining — required travelers to stay in the resort’s hotels.

The promotions effectively worked in tandem with other strategic moves Disney has made over the years — such as the launch of a complimentary airport shuttle and luggage service that eliminates the need to rent a car — to help Disney keep an even greater share of its guests on its property and away from its rivals.

Abe Pizam, dean of the University of Central Florida’s Rosen College of Hospitality Management, noted that Disney has historically avoided discounts for fear of undermining the premium prices it typically commands. But he said the resort clearly now sees promotions as a way to further its strategy of capturing the entirety of its guests’ vacation spending.

“They have done it very smartly,” Pizam said.

Still, the approach came at a cost for Disney: In large part because of those discounts, operating profit for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts shrank 25 percent during the company’s 2009 fiscal year, which ended in October.
Analysts also said that Disney could have trouble returning to full prices without triggering an attendance drop. The company has said it is trying to wean consumers off of promotions gradually; Disney World, for instance, is currently reducing hotel rates by as much as 30 percent, which, while significant, is a significantly smaller discount than last year’s seven-days-for-the-price-of-four offer.

Discounts “don’t necessarily make for a sustainable market-share shift,” Braun said.

Disney’s rivals do have reason to be optimistic about 2010.
Within a matter of weeks, Universal will open the long-awaited Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Islands of Adventure, which is expected to provide a huge attendance boost. And SeaWorld, which sells some joint ticket packages with Universal, may be better positioned than Disney to reap the benefits of Universal’s gains.

“We are confident that the Wizarding World of Harry Potter will be great for both our guests and for our business,” Universal spokesman Tom Schroder said.

SeaWorld spokesman Gerard Hoeppner said that, while the eruption of a volcano in Iceland wreaked havoc earlier this month on European air travel, SeaWorld has otherwise seen “hopeful signs” in terms of advance bookings from the United Kingdom as well as an uptick in travel from Latin American countries, particularly Brazil.

“We’re seeing some very good trends there,” Hoeppner said.
Disney World would not comment on the attendance estimates.

Jason Garcia can be reached at jrgarcia@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5414.

devoy1701

I can probably look this up but I'm sure you guys will have the answer for me faster than I can look it up...

Has MK always held the top spot since it opened in 1971?

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
Anecdotial I know, but my family will be visiting IoA for the first time in almost 8 years because of Harry Potter.

I know I'm not a normal Disney goer by any means, but we actually extended our vacation to accomidate Harry Potter rather than give up a day of our Disney stay.

It would interesting to see what is the case more in the realm of Disney park goers: Disney vacations remaining the same with the Disney parks losing a day or two, or Disney vacations being extended.

I know there will be a smaller percentage that will give up Disney all together in favor of IoA, but the above senerios would be very interesting to analyze.
For me, it is taking out of the vacation. We are going for about 7-8 days in late june-:veryconfuearly july and instead of Going to disney the whole time like normal we are planning 2 days at uni and IOA. However, we will still be staying on disney property and will probably come back at night for nightastic.

Buried20KLeague

Boy, that would be the WORST possible thing to have happen... To have people do this en masse.

That'd just give TDO more numbers to point at to try to prove they're doing things right... Even getting a BOOST from Potter (which would be bad).

The sad thing is... I'm probably in the same boat you're in. With the ticketing structure being the way it is, and with those 8th 9th and 10th days on a Disney ticket being so cheap, we'd probably do the same thing... Max our days at Disney and tack on two days for UNI that maybe we wouldn't normally add on every trip.

I complain, and then I feed the beast. :(

Although MUCH more of my travel dollars are going other places the past few years. We used to make 2-3 trips to WDW a year, for a week each. Now we're going once every 18 months or so, and visiting other places in between.

So I'm not a TOTAL hypocrite. :lookaroun:lol:

devoy1701

I don't have it in front of me, but I believe the answer is yes.

would be interesting if this is indeed true. I tried a couple google searches but this one proves alittle more complicated to find than I thought.

Anyone else know if this is true? Has MK been #1 most visited park since it opened?

jakeman

Boy, that would be the WORST possible thing to have happen... To have people do this en masse.

That'd just give TDO more numbers to point at to try to prove they're doing things right... Even getting a BOOST from Potter (which would be bad).

The sad thing is... I'm probably in the same boat you're in. With the ticketing structure being the way it is, and with those 8th 9th and 10th days on a Disney ticket being so cheap, we'd probably do the same thing... Max our days at Disney and tack on two days for UNI that maybe we wouldn't normally add on every trip.

I complain, and then I feed the beast. :(

Although MUCH more of my travel dollars are going other places the past few years. We used to make 2-3 trips to WDW a year, for a week each. Now we're going once every 18 months or so, and visiting other places in between.

So I'm not a TOTAL hypocrite. :lookaroun:lol:
They are getting a boost in accomidation, but not in theme park attendance or spending from us. If anything, I think people like us will drive per guest spending down.

Sure I'm staying 10 days, but one or two of those days is now just a big fat zero to the bottom line of what I spend on Disney property per day.

I guess it depends on what TDO is focused on: attendance or per guest spending.

If it is the latter, then I bet that you and I are the last people they want to see.

For my family we are even worse. We just use DVC points, so there is no direct benefit for us staying because that extra day here is literally a day less at another time.

WDWFigment

I think it would be interesting to see just how much of a discount these discounts really are.

I would think that we could map the price increases from say (arbitrially) the early 90's to now for key price points, mainly lodging and admission (an estimate would have to be made for dining as plans didn't always exist).

We would need two trend lines, one showing the standard increases in full price tickets, food, and rooms and another showing the increases less discounts.

I would bet that the first, with the full prices would look almost logarithmic in their increases. The second line would probably be a bit more interesting.

I guess my question would be, are they really discounts? Or is the product overpriced now and the discounts provide the allusion of a bargain, much like when 12 packs of Coke go on sale for $4.50 when the price was increased to $6.00 the week before.

I think your estimates would be correct if you mapped them from the mid-90s until now, as I think right around the time the DDP was adopted, an era of price illusion became the norm (did the company acquire a former Kohls executive?!?). However, if you do a comparison between '07, '08, and '09, I think you'd find a lot less discounting illusion, and a lot more actual discounting. Since the increases at question here are from '08 to '09, I don't think any older years are really all that relevant (at least for the specific comparison of pre and post economic downturn performance).

stewdog1

I think your estimates would be correct if you mapped them from the mid-90s until now, as I think right around the time the DDP was adopted, an era of price illusion became the norm (did the company acquire a former Kohls executive?!?). However, if you do a comparison between '07, '08, and '09, I think you'd find a lot less discounting illusion, and a lot more actual discounting. Since the increases at question here are from '08 to '09, I don't think any older years are really all that relevant (at least for the specific comparison of pre and post economic downturn performance).

In a related note, I am curious how the price of admission, hotel prices, food, etc. has gone up in relation to normal inflation?

Does anyone remember what some of the prices were in the 90s compared to now?

fractal

I gotta think alot of people postponed going to Universal/IOA until after Harry Potter.

Considering that - Disney took full advantage by offering discounts in 2009 to give one more incentive to skip US/IOA.

Smart move by them. My guess is that they wait and see the full HP impact before announcing future discounts.

hokielutz

"Meanwhile, Universal Studios Orlando suffered a 12% drop in attendance in 2009 over 2008, putting them at 13th place with 5.4 million visitors. Islands of Adventure fared even worse at 17th most-attended, dropping 13.8% over 2008 down to just 4.5 million visitors"

I know the Uni and IoA stink in comparison to Disney, but these year over year drops in their attendance, particularly the double digit drop in percentage, leave me scratching my head. I am wondering whether or not those parks are sandbagging their 2009 numbers, in order to proclaim a much larger increase at the end of 2010? Since most of the attendance figures are kept internally, it makes one wonder.

It it could be Univ just isn't that attractive to the general public. :shrug:

hokielutz

I'm struck by the fact that the entire world was either down by quite a bit (not surprising given the global recession), or most Disney parks up by tiny amounts of less than 1.0%

But then there's Disneyland with a 8.0% gain for the year, and Disney's California Adventure with a huge 9.5% gain for the year. In a massive global recession. When the only new things they had in Anaheim were a refreshed Fantasmic! show at Disneyland and a bunch of construction walls in DCA.

Those are crazy strong gains to make in such an otherwise distressed, weak environment. :eek:

You are quite incorrect.... the new attractions at Disneyland and DCA were the vacation discounts that the Mouse was throwing at everyone. Same was true for Orlando.

hokielutz

We've been saying for the past year that attendance at WDW has been very strong, interesting to see these estimates out now support that.

Agreed.... I saw some fairly busy activity at all the parks during my four weeks of vacationing there last year, which was supposed to be the "off-season."

2nd week of January
2nd week May
2nd week of September
3rd week of December.

But I am not going to complain too much.... as far as I see it... as long as Disney can get people through the turnstiles via room discounts... there is an opportunity for that part of the public to spend $$ in the parks.

In the long term, it probably is not smart to keep the discounts/sales going... just until the economy turns around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom