2009 Theme Park Attendance Report Released

Studios Fan

They're doing it again with the poor marketing. On very few advertisements are they telling people where The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is. They're saying Universal Studios Resort. It's similar to how they marketed IOA at first with the one destination Universal Escape.

I completely agree. They screwed up with the Universal Escape and now they are saying Universal Studios resort. On top of that, the three main things they promote in the commercial are Potter, Spider-man, and Shrek. No offense to Shrek, but why wouldn't you promote Rip Ride Rockit if you were going to promote the Studios park.

_Scar

The commercial is pretty point-black.

I think you'd have to be pretty dumb if you don't realize what the commercial symbolizes (themed parks)

T-1MILLION

The commercial is pretty point-black.

I think you'd have to be pretty dumb if you don't realize what the commercial symbolizes (themed parks)

And potter fans do not care as much about the details as many of the theme park fans thought they would.

The fansites got it covered. They are pleased with the experience they will get because there will be no other harry potter experience like it in the world. And it is the largest theme park project for any major Florida theme park in years.

Don't be surprised if next year the numbers read Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure much closer to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom readings.

TP2000

Don't be surprised if next year the numbers read Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure much closer to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom readings.

Oh, for gosh sakes. It's that kind of talk that just boggles my mind. :confused:

DHS got 9.7 Million in '09. Islands of Adventure got 4.5 Million in '09. Are you really suggesting that Harry Potter is going to DOUBLE the attendance at IOA in one year?

If anything, Harry Potter will stop the steep slide in attendance for IOA, and might get them a bump of a few hundred thousand visitors. Maybe they'll break 5 Million? 5.2 Million?

Potter World is just one new ride, some themed shops and fast food joints, and an existing coaster rethemed to Potter, with a modest budget of a few hundred million dollars. It's not the radical reinvention of the theme park industry, and it's not going to turn the Orlando tourism industry on its ear. It will drive some attendance and create some much-needed buzz for Universal Orlando, but that's about it.

Maybe I just don't get it as a West Coaster? But it seems Potter is way over-hyped and radically misunderstood. The budget of a few hundred million should prove that it's not that big of a deal, and nothing more than a new E Ticket and some surrounding shopping/dining offerings. Heck, they are spending 1.1 Billion on DCA through 2012, and even that massive expansion isn't worth the hype people easily ladle on Potter World. :lol:

T-1MILLION

Oh, for gosh sakes. It's that kind of talk that just boggles my mind. :confused:

DHS got 9.7 Million in '09. Islands of Adventure got 4.5 Million in '09. Are you really suggesting that Harry Potter is going to DOUBLE the attendance at IOA in one year?

If anything, Harry Potter will stop the steep slide in attendance for IOA, and might get them a bump of a few hundred thousand visitors. Maybe they'll break 5 Million? 5.2 Million?

Potter World is just one new ride, some themed shops and fast food joints, and an existing coaster rethemed to Potter, with a modest budget of a few hundred million dollars. It's not the radical reinvention of the theme park industry, and it's not going to turn the Orlando tourism industry on its ear. It will drive some attendance and create some much-needed buzz for Universal Orlando, but that's about it.

Maybe I just don't get it as a West Coaster? But it seems Potter is way over-hyped and radically misunderstood. The budget of a few hundred million should prove that it's not that big of a deal, and nothing more than a new E Ticket and some surrounding shopping/dining offerings. Heck, they are spending 1.1 Billion on DCA through 2012, and even that massive expansion isn't worth the hype people easily ladle on Potter World. :lol:

First off...I said much closer, not on the coat tails, or equal too, but if you are asking if it will double the attendance of IOA...not impossible at all. Probably not quite double since it is not opening until June in the year, but it is going to be a huge jump. Potter is one of the largest fanbases of any property in the world. they don't care that some areas are rethemed because to them it is all new and to them it is Potter, and that is all that matters.

Also, account for the fact that since Disney will not have Star Tours or anything really at hollywood studios or anything new at Animal Kingdom...attendance is likely to drop just a bit. Thus making the differences even closer.

You should probably read what I posted instead of reading what you wanted to hear.

_Scar

First off...I said much closer, not on the coat tails, or equal too, but if you are asking if it will double the attendance of IOA...not impossible at all. Probably not quite double since it is not opening until June in the year, but it is going to be a huge jump. Potter is one of the largest fanbases of any property in the world. they don't care that some areas are rethemed because to them it is all new and to them it is Potter, and that is all that matters.

Also, account for the fact that since Disney will not have Star Tours or anything really at hollywood studios or anything new at Animal Kingdom...attendance is likely to drop just a bit. Thus making the differences even closer.

You should probably read what I posted instead of reading what you wanted to hear.

I don't think the DHS and DAK attendance would drop if people are still coming to WDW. As far as I know, attendance is looming on an all time high for WDW.

IoA CAN double, but it's just not likely. If anything, it should try and beat its buddy Sea World or even DCA. Those 2 are much easier than taking on the big 4.

RSoxNo1

And potter fans do not care as much about the details as many of the theme park fans thought they would.

The fansites got it covered. They are pleased with the experience they will get because there will be no other harry potter experience like it in the world. And it is the largest theme park project for any major Florida theme park in years.

I will bet anyone on here that Islands of Adventure will have it's highest attendance #s in it's history in 2011. I would also be absolutely shocked if it gets within 3 million guests of any Disney parks. What Disney has to worry about is that if the added guests in Islands of Adventure are taken from Disney Parks instead of Universal Studios.

I do agree that Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom are the parks that are likely to suffer, but Islands of Adventure will not surpass either of them in attendance in the first full year of operation of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - that type of growth would be unprecedented.

T-1MILLION

I will bet anyone on here that Islands of Adventure will have it's highest attendance #s in it's history in 2011. I would also be absolutely shocked if it gets within 3 million guests of any Disney parks. What Disney has to worry about is that if the added guests in Islands of Adventure are taken from Disney Parks instead of Universal Studios.

I do agree that Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom are the parks that are likely to suffer, but Islands of Adventure will not surpass either of them in attendance in the first full year of operation of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - that type of growth would be unprecedented.

i don't think anyone thinks it likely that it will and I certainly did not state it would surpass them. Thank you for seeing where I am coming from.

Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios are the two weaker parks in property and are the ones that are often sacraficed for a day at Sea World, Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure. Thus when Islands of Adventure takes a bite its also going to benefit their decision to stay and try Universal Studios Florida if they have not already. There will be families who have done the other Disney parks and since they are not offering anything new many will be likely to have IOA be the replacement.

WDW attendance is at an all time high? Not exactly. Also, don't forget about all the birthdays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom