2 New Ships to Join DCL Fleet in 2021/2023

jme

So with this we'll probably see the Wonder permanently on duty for the west coast Alaska, Mexico and Hawaii seasonally.
The Dream remaining on 3/4N Bahamas duty
The Fantasy moving to European duty permanently
New Ship A taking over the 7N Caribbean spot
New Ship B fluctuating for TX and NYC cruises to Alaska and perhaps Bermuda

Anyone else have other ideas of itinerary schedules with 2 more in the fleet?

wdizneew

So with this we'll probably see the Wonder permanently on duty for the west coast Alaska, Mexico and Hawaii seasonally.

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney expanded its itineraries to Asia considering they have both Hong Kong and Shanghai resorts. There's already Royal Caribbean ships hitting both HK and Shanghai ports along with Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam, Japan etc....

Also, I noticed in the concept art images posted of the two new ships what looks to be like a more upscale suite area in the top from of the ship. It is similar to Norwegian Cruise Line's The Haven
"The Haven

Hidden at the top of the ship, The Haven features our most luxurious, well-appointed accommodations as well as 24-hour butler service, concierge service and private sundeck."

Another thing, it looks like the back of the ship will be more squared out instead of the slope you see on the current 4 ships. AND there doesn't seem to be an AquaDuck. Maybe they have a surprise waiting for us when it's closer to sailing.

DCL.JPG

All of this is speculation of course :)

Ralphlaw

Ooooh exciting! .

. Did you know that many cruise ships dump people's waste right into the ocean? Yes, and it's not illegal either. They just have to treat the waste if they plan to dump it near the docks, where people are swimming at nearby beaches. But in the middle of the ocean? They can just dump it unsantized. Eww, disgusting. I'm glad Disney actually goes far beyond what's required by the law in this case..

The ocean is full of organisms that pollute with their own sewage. From quadrillions of microbes to whales, lots of defecation is going on. I would hazard to guess that the volume of crap from many single species likely exceeds that of all the manmade stuff from all the ships combined. The oceans are very big places. Considering the number of fish, sharks, seals, walruses, and whales that are swimming around, I would think that the amount of "gunk" from humans is one small, yet utterly disgusting, drop in the bucket. No, it shouldn't be done near ports or coastlines, but dumping in the open seas might actually be a very green way to get rid of the stuff.

Plus, please consider the environmental cost of clean up. The chemicals are likely very environmentally UNfriendly to manufacture and deliver. Sanitation chemicals aren't picked from trees, they come from mined raw materials and are formed in chemical plants that likely pollute big time. The energy used to fuel and manufacture the cleaning processes pollutes, both when used and when extracted and refined. And the diesel that's burned to run the processes were pumped out of the ground, shipped to/from a polluting refinery, and once burned onboard ship spews particulates and CO2.

We primarily flush 100% biodegradable stuff down the toilet, meaning that untreated dumping might actually be the most green thing that could be done. I don't know what processes the ships use, but it wouldn't surprise me if those clean-up processes actually end up doing far more environmental harm than good. Of course, the disgust factor is a consideration, but I personally think I would prefer the smaller environmental cost of non-cleaning to the "good" feeling I get knowing that my ship is only dumping "squeaky clean" sewage into the ocean.

Wow, what a tangent!

EOD K9

The ocean is full of organisms that pollute with their own sewage. From quadrillions of microbes to whales, lots of defecation is going on. I would hazard to guess that the volume of crap from many single species likely exceeds that of all the manmade stuff from all the ships combined. The oceans are very big places. Considering the number of fish, sharks, seals, walruses, and whales that are swimming around, I would think that the amount of "gunk" from humans is one small, yet utterly disgusting, drop in the bucket. No, it shouldn't be done near ports or coastlines, but dumping in the open seas might actually be a very green way to get rid of the stuff.

Plus, please consider the environmental cost of clean up. The chemicals are likely very environmentally UNfriendly to manufacture and deliver. Sanitation chemicals aren't picked from trees, they come from mined raw materials and are formed in chemical plants that likely pollute big time. The energy used to fuel and manufacture the cleaning processes pollutes, both when used and when extracted and refined. And the diesel that's burned to run the processes were pumped out of the ground, shipped to/from a polluting refinery, and once burned onboard ship spews particulates and CO2.

We primarily flush 100% biodegradable stuff down the toilet, meaning that untreated dumping might actually be the most green thing that could be done. I don't know what processes the ships use, but it wouldn't surprise me if those clean-up processes actually end up doing far more environmental harm than good. Of course, the disgust factor is a consideration, but I personally think I would prefer the smaller environmental cost of non-cleaning to the "good" feeling I get knowing that my ship is only dumping "squeaky clean" sewage into the ocean.

Wow, what a tangent!
That's why you don't open your mouth when snorkeling in Castaway Cay.

Donald Razorduck

I think you'll see more Galveston sailing maybe a few out of New Orleans using the same boat. You'll see a more Europe and Asia.

Now all they need to do is build a family friendly boat for Mississippi River Cruises complete with a exclusive little water park along the lines of the old one in Orlando with major Tom and Huck vibe.

Could tie into big water sailing to and from New Orleans

hokielutz

This is great news! I thought it would be another 15-20 years before we see new Disney ships. I was hoping these ships would be much bigger....maybe at 150,000 gross tons. There could be a 3rd smoke stack and more slides :D

I also wouldn't mind if all the cuts they've been making in the parks led us to a floating Magic Kingdom ;)
ss-disney-april1.jpg

We might need one of these if Al Gore's climate predictions ever come to pass.

Phonedave

Wow, what a tangent!

Actually, the cruise industry is a HUGE polluter. In addition to the sewage issues, cruise ships generate tons of garbage (including bilge water, which is full of hydrocarbons). Not to mention that many ships burn high sulphur oil, with causes massive air pollution. IF you had a large land based resort, a portion of its energy would come from green or semi-green sources. All of the energy on a cruise ship is generated by the cruise ship, not to mention the energy needed to move it around in the first place.

In addition, many ports of call view cruise ships as a double edged sword. Sure there are tourist dollars comming in, but the 3,000+ tourists comming off a ship spend less per person than a tourist staying at that location. However they absouletly slam the port infrastructure when they arrive.

I'm not against cruising - in fact I enjoy it - it does however have a lot of negative impacts.

-dave

Phonedave

Bermuda is tough. I would love to see it, but my understanding is that other cruise lines (Celebrity and Norwegian coem to mind) have locked those ports out pretty well. Kings Wharf can only handle 2 ships at once, and that would be the only Bermuda port avaiable for the larged Disney ships. I'm not sure how long those contracts run for though, DCL may have to do some negotiating.

Cruises out of Bayonne (or even NYC) would be great - Bermuda, Canada, Carribbean. I always through DCL could make a case for sailing out of Baltimore as well.

5thGenTexan

Honest question. What does this mean for Castaway Cay? Is it deep enough to accommodate these new ships? Is Castaway Cay large enough to accommodate that many more guests?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Honest question. What does this mean for Castaway Cay? Is it deep enough to accommodate these new ships? Is Castaway Cay large enough to accommodate that many more guests?

I would imagine with 6 ships, they would not all be on itineraries that stop at Castaway.

5thGenTexan

I would imagine with 6 ships, they would not all be on itineraries that stop at Castaway.

I am talking one of the new bigger ships, per day. There is only so much space there and I know when we were there on the Magic is was a bit crowded on the beach, but not uncomfortable. These larger ships will have more folks than the Dream and Fantasy. Is there going to be room for everyone without being elbow to elbow?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I am talking one of the new bigger ships, per day. There is only so much space there and I know when we were there on the Magic is was a bit crowded on the beach, but not uncomfortable. These larger ships will have more folks than the Dream and Fantasy. Is there going to be room for everyone without being elbow to elbow?

Based on the limited information we have seen, the new ships do not look like the are going to be significantly larger than the Dream or Fantasy. They quoted 1000' long and 200' high. The Fantasy and Dream come in around 1115' long and 217' high.

Even if they do somehow boast a significantly larger guest capacity, there is still plenty of area in which to expand at Castaway Cay. They have already expanded it once in 2009/2010, so there is no reason they can not do it again.

Last edited:

peter11435

These larger ships are currently stated to have the same number of staterooms and the same passenger capacity as the dream and fantasy.

The dream and the fantasy both come in at approximately 130,000 gross tons. And these new ships are stated to be 135,000 gross tons so really not a lot larger.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
These larger ships are currently stated to have the same number of staterooms and the same passenger capacity as the dream and fantasy.

The dream and the fantasy both come in at approximately 130,000 gross tons. And these new ships are stated to be 135,000 gross tons so really not a lot larger.

And the additional tonnage does not mean it needs additional length. Just that certain features or equipment for ship operation could total to that amount more.

peter11435

And the additional tonnage does not mean it needs additional length. Just that certain features or equipment for ship operation could total to that amount more.
Correct. I believe the Magic's 2013 dry dock added 1000 tons to that vessel. So an additional 5000 tons could come to the new ships without them being significantly larger.

dstrawn9889

Based on the limited information we have seen, the new ships do not look like the are going to be significantly larger than the Dream or Fantasy. They quoted 1000' long and 200' high. The Fantasy and Dream come in around 1115' long and 217' high.

Even if they do somehow boast a significantly larger guest capacity, there is still plenty of area in which to expand at Castaway Cay. They have already expanded it once in 2009/2010, so there is no reason they can not do it again.
stateroom count is the same for this class of vessel and the Dream-class... according the the press release

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom