2 New Ships to Join DCL Fleet in 2021/2023

Tonka's Skipper

Some of the older ships do have the problem with some of the pollution issues a pp mentioned, however newer vessels over the last 20 years and especially the last 10 years much of problems have been cleaned up. In fact the same goes for all ocean vessels.

1. Many ocean and coastal areas require low sulfur fuels which can be 6 oil and marine diesel/Gas oil. In addition the exhaust has scrubbers which help reduce pollutants as well.

2. All sewer water is cleaned and some are actually dried and the dried sewer matter bagged and sent ashore.

3. Garbage and trash is sorted like we do at home, some shredded and all bagged and sent ashore. Some items are burned is very high tech burners.and the ash bagged and sent ashore.

Everything sent ashore, goes to industrial high tech recycling centers.

4. Dirty water like bilge water goes though a cleaner/separator which removers all the oil/ hydrocarbons and the clean water is pumped overboard and the oil burned on board the vessel as fuel. Even rain water that collects on deck is cleaned before it can be pumped overboard.

5. Any food stuffs not to be served to the passengers or crew is ground up and goes over board.

Lastly very complete , detailed records are kept of what comes on broad the vessels and where it goes. The records are periodically checked and the fines are quite high for any violations. Cruise ships all have a high ranked environmental Officer and crew members who monitor this.

I was on a bulk carrier once , and a seagull had gotten a chicken leg out of the trash containers aft and the USD of agriculture nailed the vessel with a $25,000 fine!

AKK

Last edited:

No Name

The ocean is full of organisms that pollute with their own sewage. From quadrillions of microbes to whales, lots of defecation is going on. I would hazard to guess that the volume of crap from many single species likely exceeds that of all the manmade stuff from all the ships combined. The oceans are very big places. Considering the number of fish, sharks, seals, walruses, and whales that are swimming around, I would think that the amount of "gunk" from humans is one small, yet utterly disgusting, drop in the bucket. No, it shouldn't be done near ports or coastlines, but dumping in the open seas might actually be a very green way to get rid of the stuff.

Plus, please consider the environmental cost of clean up. The chemicals are likely very environmentally UNfriendly to manufacture and deliver. Sanitation chemicals aren't picked from trees, they come from mined raw materials and are formed in chemical plants that likely pollute big time. The energy used to fuel and manufacture the cleaning processes pollutes, both when used and when extracted and refined. And the diesel that's burned to run the processes were pumped out of the ground, shipped to/from a polluting refinery, and once burned onboard ship spews particulates and CO2.

We primarily flush 100% biodegradable stuff down the toilet, meaning that untreated dumping might actually be the most green thing that could be done. I don't know what processes the ships use, but it wouldn't surprise me if those clean-up processes actually end up doing far more environmental harm than good. Of course, the disgust factor is a consideration, but I personally think I would prefer the smaller environmental cost of non-cleaning to the "good" feeling I get knowing that my ship is only dumping "squeaky clean" sewage into the ocean.

Wow, what a tangent!

Valid point. To be honest, I do not know enough about the whole chain and everything to know which is more harmful in the end, so you could very well be correct here.

Everything has some effect on the environment. But I just think, to dump that much waste in one spot has to be extremely bad for the wildlife in those areas. It's unnatural. Animals pooping in the ocean is a natural process, and it's spread out enough to be harmless. But if you dump gallons of doo-doo in one area, I imagine it could kill or harm all sorts of creatures there.

But I don't know what is the best option. I just hope that whatever it is, Disney would spend the extra few dollars to do it and help the environment.

tk924

Even if they do somehow boast a significantly larger guest capacity, there is still plenty of area in which to expand at Castaway Cay. They have already expanded it once in 2009/2010, so there is no reason they can not do it again.

I sure hope they don't add a second dock at Castaway Cay. Can you imagine two ships docked there at the same time? o_O Me either.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I sure hope they don't add a second dock at Castaway Cay. Can you imagine two ships docked there at the same time? o_O Me either.

It would no bother me all that much providing the ship is a Disney ship and they expand the facilities to compensate.

Right now, only a small section of the island is developed and used. They could increase the beach area by a factor of 5 and still have room left.

tk924

It would no bother me all that much providing the ship is a Disney ship and they expand the facilities to compensate.

Right now, only a small section of the island is developed and used. They could increase the beach area by a factor of 5 and still have room left.

Hopefully they would develop the other side of the island to accommodate another ship's worth of passengers and not dump them all into the existing areas.

001castawaycayaerial(2).jpg

Lots of possibilities. ;)

EOD K9

I don't think they would allow another ship to dock outside of their own. Even though they could expand, it's nice to know that the only other guests on the island are the ones you have been sailing with. While it's also kind of a treat to have other Disney cruisers from another ship, part of the fun for me is that for one day, CC is "our island". I'm kind of mixed on having two ships in the fleet there. The closest I will get for now is that on my next cruise on the Magic, the Dream will be in Nassau as well. I'm looking forward to that photo op.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Just a little off topic, but with the new ships I would love to see a trip where you come to the island on one ship, stay the night or two on the island at the newly constructed resort, and then leave later on an other Disney ship. They could have 100 or so rooms on each shop that would drop of guest and pick up the already on the island. Would take Disney some out of the box planning and logistics, but I would love doing this.

Tonka's Skipper

Hopefully they would develop the other side of the island to accommodate another ship's worth of passengers and not dump them all into the existing areas.

001castawaycayaerial(2).jpg

Lots of possibilities. ;)

I do not remember the % , but a good part of the island cannot be developed and was greed to remain undisturbed/ undeveloped.

AKK

Tonka's Skipper

Just a little off topic, but with the new ships I would love to see a trip where you come to the island on one ship, stay the night or two on the island at the newly constructed resort, and then leave later on an other Disney ship. They could have 100 or so rooms on each shop that would drop of guest and pick up the already on the island. Would take Disney some out of the box planning and logistics, but I would love doing this.

The word is that as soon as the sun goes down the bug come out is massive numbers, making is near impossible to move around outside. The few CM's that stay on the island, have special quarters for protection. I would think a out side resort for the night would be impossible.

NMBC1993

As much as I'm excited for these upcoming ships (and will probably be booking on day 1), I'm kinda disappointed they decided to go with larger instead of smaller...even though I totally understand why they went in that direction. Personally, I would pay twice as much for an 18+ only cruise on a smaller, more intimate ship that just visits Castaway Cay (OK, and Nassau if we really have to). Disney already has four ships dedicated to families, why not one ship for the people who are desperate for a Disney-style vacation, but don't want to acknowledge children exist for a couple of days?? :p

EOD K9

I am not sure the runway is still suitable for use.

Disney currently uses is as a bike and tram path. It is also rather short at 2400' so it will not handle much more than STOL configured aircraft.
A helicopter or a single engine Cesna could make it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom