2 extra days at WDW or Universal

elabron

Okay.....we're coming down and staying at the Poly from 10/28-11/06. We're thinking about coming down a few days early, but can't find a place at Disney for 10/26 and 27......I can get a place for the 27th, but not consecutive nights (26th & 27th) at the same resort......go figure.

So, I was thinking.....we've never been to Universal, and I can get a room at any of their 3 hotels for the nights we needed. We have a 5 yr old, 2 yr old and a 10 month old. What would be better?

An extra day at a WDW Value or Moderate resort, or give Universal 2 days? Does Universal have enough to hold my kids interest?:shrug:

sbkline

I'm all about spending one or two days to do something other than Disney. So if you have a full week at Disney and have two extra days, I'd definitely suggest visiting Universal. We plan to do Univeral and Sea World on our next Disney trip. I just wish we had time to go to Busch Gardens as well.

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

I have never been to Universal either, reason is that I just cannot give up a day at Disney for it, we always say we need to check it out but always spend the whole trip at WDW. :D

Upvote 0

elabron

Original Poster
I think my kids (5yo) would get bored at SeaWorld....we've been to Ripley's Aquariums and the Newport Aquarium in Cincinatti, and she's ready to go after an hour or two.

I'd love to take on Busch Gardens, but I'm not sure there'd be enough for the kids......plenty of coasters for my liking, but not enough for the family.

Wouldn't Universal crowds be pretty light in late October?

Upvote 0

lilclerk

I would usually say to give Universal a shot, but I really don't know if your younger two will really find anything great about it. The five year old will probably like some of the rides (and I can't really speak for IoA, never been there.. I think they have more kid-oriented things there.)
But hey, it's cheap enough to get into those parks, give it a shot.

But if you'd rather stay at WDW, have you tried calling to book? They might be able to find a room for you.

Upvote 0

elabron

Original Poster
I was going to say yes until I saw the ages of your children. I don't think there will be enough at Universal to keep them occupied.

Well, keep in mind that my 5 yr old daughter is just as enamored with the resort's pool as many of the attractions......That's one of the reasons we're staying at WDW longer than we normally do.....so we can take a day or two and just chill out at the volcano pool with her, sleep late, etc.

So, really, a half day at Universal then heading back to the Hard Rock or Portifino pool would be good for us.

Upvote 0

SallyShine

If you stay at one of their hotels, I say go to Universal. The hotel guest fast pass is a perk you just can't pass up. You can everything in 2 days and still have some pool time.

Upvote 0

LowesChevy

The Portofino Bay Hotel pool is really sweet-zero entry like the many of the Disney resorts. It is large and is shaped like a beach. The Royal Pacific is nice too and it gives you that South Seas ambiance. I would agree that a half day at Universal would be enough for you children based on their ages and the park activities for their age group. CityWalk is really neat to walk around during early evening for dinner. I would avoid it later on in the evening when the party crowd shows up, it gets crowded. There are boats that run between the resorts, CityWalk and the parks, which is good when the kiddos get tired of walking. It is pretty cool to see, but I do not do every year because I prefer mouse brand entertainment. :)

Upvote 0

Shere_Khan

Universal is fun, but if it were me I would stay two extra days at Disney and check out some stuff that I don't normally ever get to do, like mini golf or the water parks.
But I don't have small children so that is tough one.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

Since I have never been to U land I would say Disney. I have stayed at Pop and it was fine for 1 night or 2. Its not a bad resort I just get spoiled. It really does not matter where you stay in Disney as long as you are part of the magic.

Upvote 0

elabron

Original Poster
Since I have never been to U land I would say Disney. I have stayed at Pop and it was fine for 1 night or 2. Its not a bad resort I just get spoiled. It really does not matter where you stay in Disney as long as you are part of the magic.

Yeah....that's another thing. LAst year we came down one day early and booked a room at ASMovies.......my daughter loved the Fantasia pool. Don't really know why....I think she just liked the Mickey that shoots out the H20.

Anyway, a week or two ago, she asked if she could go swim in that pool again. Fine with me. I drive all night anyway, so an extra day to chill out before the real vacation begins would be great. But, I can't get a room at Movies. ASMusic is no problem, as is Port Orleans. I can even get Boardwalk for a night. But, that's just it. I can only get ONE night....Disney has nothing available for a 2 night stay.

At least with Universal I could get 2 nights at Portifino, Royal Pacific or Hard Rock. I'm just not sure that the family would take to it like they do WDW. I mean, let's face it......it IS Universal and not WDW.:lol:

Upvote 0

cpeterstx

An extra day at a WDW Value or Moderate resort, or give Universal 2 days? Does Universal have enough to hold my kids interest?:shrug:

I had a teambuilder with my direct reports at Universal (Royal Pacific). I thought the resort was very nice and the room was very large for the price. As for the parks, I'm not a huge fan of roller coasters :)hurl: ) so I don't care for Islands of Adventure. In terms of the Studio, I have to say it is starting to look a little dated and run down. I don't have anything against Universal, it just seemed that way to me. Otherwise, for one or two days, I think you'll be able to occupy your time. You can also take the kids to some of the places at City Walk, which was very nice as well.

Upvote 0

Boray

If money isn't an issue, then stay at one of the Universal hotels, I've heard they're nice, and you'll be right near City Walk, which my family really enjoys. They have evening "street performers" that are very cool and a huge TV screen that is pretty neat. The atmosphere of City Walk is nice for a while, and the restaurants are good too. Keep in mind, the three Universal hotels (when I last priced them) were $200+ per night. (As an add-on to your current vacation plans, it seems rather pricey to me.) Although, you could really enjoy yourself and only hang out at City Walk and the pools for a few days, because as far as visiting the Studios and Islands, your kids will not be able to participate in many of the attractions. We took my son and daughter when they were 4 and 15 months, and there wasn't much for either of them to do. It didn't really become interesting to them until last year when my son was 7 and daughter was 4 and finally tall enough to do most rides. They just don't have the same family friendly attractions the Disney does.

I would suggest skipping the Universal parks, based on your kids' ages (it would be pricey for not much entertainment, in my opinion) but staying in the hotels might just be really cool. I have not stayed in the hotels, so I can't say how nice they might be, but they are relatively new, so I imagine they are in good shape and for the price, rather nice. There are plenty of other nice hotels/resorts in the area with cool pools, maybe it would behoove you to stay at one of those for the few days before staying on site at Disney. We've stayed at Sheritan's Vistana (you can see it from I-4, I believe it's right off of Apopka Vineland) and it was very nice. I believe it's priced less than the Universal hotels and you'd be closer to Disney (and closer to Downtown Disney too.) We've also stayed at Cypruss Pointe Grande Villas and rented a 3 bedroom villa (less than $170 per day) and it was awesome. (it's located on Hwy. 525, I think. Anyway, we were just 4 blocks from the entrance to Disney property, near Downtown Disney). They have a cool volcano pool, so your kids might enjoy that. Anyway, just thought I'd suggest another option to Universal, and if swimming is a must, find a hotel with a cool pool!!!

I hope that helps! Good luck and let us know what you decide. :wave:

Edit: I wrote this reading that you can't get into ANY Disney resorts (which I don't think I read it correctly.) I think ANY Disney resort trumps the off site resorts (if money is no object and you don't mind sharing a single room with your entire family), so I'd take whatever Disney room is available, however if that isn't possible, then I'd consider Universal as well as some of the surrounding resorts. This is coming from a person who has never stayed on Disney Property. Our preference is to have a 3 bedroom rental condo or house, which has always offered more room for our family, at a much lower price. If I could get the same ammenities for the same price on Disney property, my life would be perfect!!!!!

Upvote 0

eroyee

:wave: Its up to you but if it were me with your kids ages I would try to stay at another hotel or resort that had a lot of activities or something. theres a lot of nice inexpensive places to stay close to disney. I think IofA would be too old for them and the studios part I dont think would appeal much to those ages. Up to you, though. do a little research on the area......

Upvote 0

DABIGCHEEZ

Just my thoughts here..... We went to Universal a few years back when my kids were maybe 4 & 5. Just weent to the Studios and found not a whole bunch for them. They had a Barney show, and a woody woodpecker kids area with a net crawly thing and a spray area. But other than that no much else for them. I suppose the ET ride if your 5 yo is up for that ... mine was not. The rest was not for them. We did not go to IoA but I do know they have a Dr. Suess land with some kiddie rides but other than that area I don't think there is again much for the youngins.
You said your kids love the pools.... why not stay at Disney and check out other resorts & pools. SSR has a zero entry secti on and a regular slide and a kiddie slide my 2 year old loved this past trip. We scheduled relax days for pools, DTD, other pools in between park days this trip and I gotta say it worked well. Boardwalk has nightly entertainment which my now 7 & 8 yr olds loved and it seemed the younger kids enjoyed them also. FW has campfire sing-alongs with characters though we never get there. My kids loved the mini-golf last time(Summerland) as well as this time(Fantasia gardens).
We went to Sea World 2 years ago, skipped a year and went again this year. My 8 DS always has loved Seaorld. DD (7) could've skipped it, and has never been a big fan, but loved Atlantis and the Pet show. DD(2) rolled with us and seemed to enjoy the close up manatees and sharks and such.
Sorry for the ramble.

Upvote 0

dvitali

No one mention yet a another alterative is: Nickeleon Hotel is a partner hotel of Universal even thou it not on the Universal property. It have your kids favorite Nick TV character (jimmy Neutron, fairy odd parents etc) and it cost far less than the three hotel on Universal property. It may have a shuttle to Universal and Sea World also. I am considering maybe staying there a few nights before I would go to visit my parents up in the Orcala area after Disney for a week.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom