1986 - The House of the Future: Week 2

spacemt354

Chili's
So for the literature tie-in - I'm thinking about it, but as I do another contribution I think would benefit this land is an original character (ala the Orange Bird)

The character doesn't have to have a restaurant or shop, it could simply be a meet and greet area and/or a mascot for the land.

Was researching some Mediterranean animals in the Ottoman Empire (cute ones to make a mascot) -- I think I found one, meet Harry the Hedgehog
hedgehog-small.jpg.839x0_q71_crop-scale.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
Just so everyone knows, I’m trying my best to be as active as possible, but it’s really tough when I’ve got classes/homework and whatever else throughout the day... freshman engineering isn’t easy hahaha... I’ll still definitely be doing my part for the projects, but the brainstorming activity will be sorta spotty... but hopefully I’ll be able to still be putting out high enough quality stuff to not get nominated haha
School is way more important, and especially freshman year it's a big adjustment and you want to get off to a decent start

PerGron

sand-cat.jpg.839x0_q71_crop-scale.jpg

Another option is the sand cat
I’ve worked with these guys before. Quite possibly one of the cutest animals ever, yet the biggest jerks. I had a lynx (a much more dangerous animal) that would crawl right up on my lap and just chill, but the second I got into the sand cat enclosure, they were biting and clawing my legs like I was a scratching post. I still love them though

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
I’ve worked with these guys before. Quite possibly one of the cutest animals ever, yet the biggest jerks. I had a lynx (a much more dangerous animal) that would crawl right up on my lap and just chill, but the second I got into the sand cat enclosure, they were biting and clawing my legs like I was a scratching post. I still love them though
So what you're saying is: they're baby

Outbound

Tbh, I'm still confused towards how the land is structured (I guess that's to be expected with 14 people lol) because I was under the impression people would be walking around the entire island.

That said, it would be waaaayy easier if the island wasn't real and instead one corner was attached to the mainland. It is so much more realistic and efficient for the backstage plus we wouldn't have to worry about adding attractions to cover the entire 360-degree coast.

But of course that comes at the cost of losing the River Cruise.

PerGron

Tbh, I'm still confused towards how the land is structured (I guess that's to be expected with 14 people lol) because I was under the impression people would be walking around the entire island.

That said, it would be waaaayy easier if the island wasn't real and instead one corner was attached to the mainland. It is so much more realistic and efficient for the backstage plus we wouldn't have to worry about adding attractions to cover the entire 360-degree coast.

I agree. I think we should really use the stone forest to our advantage. We could make it an impenetrable wall where we could act like the island keeps going, but we can't get there.

I also agree that people should be able to walk around the whole island with different attractions along the way. For the river cruise, I think it'd make sense to cut through the island between the two settlements, allowing guests to walk over parts of it on bridges and stuff. Make it less of an "island island" and just give the island aesthetic

spacemt354

Chili's

Perhaps part of the river cruise could go into the mountainside, that way it still 'technically' goes around the island and we can still have the luxury of being attached to the mainland, with the illusion of an island.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
We're still coming up with details, but here is the update from Team Atlantis. Basic pitch is "a mix between Pirates of the Caribbean and Indiana Jones in a "sub" through the ruins of Atlantis."

So, here is my pitch trying to tie things together.

We don't want to lean toooooo heavy into the indy inspiration just because there is already a thrill ride about a cursed treasure in the land. So, I think we keep that subtle. Focus less on classic Indy adventure and more on the thrill of exploring ruins.

Facade - Crumbling temple by the water. The temple and some rock work can hide the show building. There are Siren Statues up front.

Preshow - a Hydrolator type thing. Take us down to an air pocket of underwater caves. An outpost for the explorers is set up here in the sunken cove serves as our queue. Perhaps some tie to Sea Base Alpha depending on what time perio dthe land is fully in and how much tech makes sense. But probably just subtle stuff. We are discussing different options for puzzles or interactive elements in the queue. To give it more of an "Exploring ruins" vibe.

Ride system - Suspended trams with water windows to make it a fake sub.

Ride Act 1 - Shanghai Pirates style effect to submerge into the depths and explore the ruins of Atlantis. A mix between the quiet start in the caves from PotC with Indy style exploration. Faint music in the distance. A haunting melody.

Ride Act 2 - The song comes into full swing (A new, instant classic kind of melody) as we see the section of Atlantis populated by sirens and sea creatures. Like the main part of the land, the sea creatures are subtly magical, just one or two steps from real. Speculative evolution is the term PerGron used i believe. This section is happy as we see other explorers in their other subs partying it up with the sirens. Atlantis has a mix between ancient Greek and Ottoman Empire architecture.

Ride Act 3 - The siren's melody turns sinister, but the explorers can't seem to realize that the temple is crumbling and a giant squid is attacking because they are still enamored by the Siren Song. The ride still is slower paced as a dark, but the crumbling temple and giant squid give it some Indy/20,000 Leagues style excitement. Our ship surfaces (reverse of the Shanghai effect from earlier) just in time to get out safely.

Exit to a gift shop probably. Sells treasures from Atlantis. Possibly even a chunk of a ruined Atlantean building that washed ashore could serve as the store building. Idk. Just a thought.

Rhyme/Tag Line - Our "Dead Man Tells No Tales"

Sailors best avert your eyes
Sirens sing of only lies

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom