1986 Blue Sky Park - Harbortown U.S.A. Brainstorm

Mickeynerd17

I know it sounds crazy, but this is how I was initially envisioning the attraction.

The fact of the matter is that "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" segment from The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad is still fondly remembered as one of the creepier pieces of Disney animation thanks to its rendition of the Headless Horseman. So, making this something of a "haunted house" attraction made sense. However, considering this is Disney, there'd surely be complaints if it got too scary. So, I tried to think about the elements for the attraction to fit this.

For instance, there are no scare-actors in the attraction. All of the appearances of the Headless Horseman would be done with essentially 2D cut-out figures, given briefs reveals in light. There would be no actual violence depicted in the attraction. Even the covered bridge scene wouldn't have anything actually thrown at guests. It would simply be a hidden air jet, positioned to give a burst of air around the head and shoulders. The reason for that small scare is that I feel like the shot of that jack o'lantern flying towards the camera is such an iconic moment from the short, but there's no realistic way to depict it. Thus, we instead use air to suggest that it just narrowly missed us as we run away from the Headless Horseman and head to the other side.

Besides that, it is all lights, sound, and mood. I tried my best to edge the line of a "haunted house" attraction, but still keep it within the Disney parameters.

Meanwhile, I've gone ahead and updated some of the naming in the queue and basic attraction logline to reflect the Harbortown USA naming.
Awesome! Hope my model reflected your ideas accurately.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Are we setting this park in 1986? On one hand, I think it’d be an awesome parameter to work around. So much technology we take for granted wouldn’t be possible, and I think the limitations would lead to some cool, out-of-the-box solutions.

But on the other hand, Muppet Hamilton is too good to pass up.
Yeah I was a bit confused by that as well. I assumed we were set in modern day and the 1986 thing was just thematic for the story? @mickeyfan5534 @TheOriginalTiki

I didn't even give Muppet Hamilton a second thought timeline wise lol.

I thought it was meant to be in 1986. But @mickeyfan5534 did say:
I want to point out, 1986 is meant to be more of an aesthetic than a hard and fast timeline. If you see fit to use an IP from after 1986, use it.

So, I guess we can set our own timeline. Which modern day would probably be easier than going retro for the whole game. Especially since we already have Muppet Hamilton. I just get it mixed up because I know early on we had talked about being in 1986 alot with USSR Disney, German as an alternate Euro Disney, and beating parks not built yet to the punch by stealing their ideas.

But with our Hamilton show and our all Chicken Little themed Fantasyland modern day does seem to make more sense for the direction we're going and I don't think it is a requiremnet to set it in that year like some of us initially thought.

My bad. Just got confused lol

DashHaber

So, I guess we can set our own timeline. Which modern day would probably be easier than going retro for the whole game. Especially since we already have Muppet Hamilton. I just get it mixed up because I know early on we had talked about being in 1986 alot with USSR Disney, German as an alternate Euro Disney, and beating parks not built yet to the punch by stealing their ideas.

But with our Hamilton show and our all Chicken Little themed Fantasyland modern day does seem to make more sense for the direction we're going and I don't think it is a requiremnet to set it in that year like some of us initially thought.

My bad. Just got confused lol
Excellent to hear. For convenience, let's stick with modern day.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
With modern day in mind, here's some minor changes!

Alright, Team Shopping! @Brer Panther and @pix! Here's more or less what I'm thinking for the list of stores. A lot of wiggle room here though. And we could always add more if we wanted to or do less.
  • Holiday Shop that changes with seasons - @Brer Panther
  • Emporium Style Store
  • Hat Shop/Place for embroidery
  • Tech Store (Magic Bands, Phone Chargers, Phone Cases, stuff like that. And usually collectibles like pins/Pops too for some reason)
  • Book Store/Library (We were talking about one for the Spooky/West/Left/Weast Side entrance. Might as well make it functional) - @Pi on my Cake
  • Small Scale niche shop (something about the scale of the Magic Shop in Disneyland)

giphy.gif

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Library Entrance/Bookstore notes/draft. This is the base I'll build into an actual (though for the sake of the project short) write up. If anything sucks, let me know!

• First story is mostly just a tunnel people pass under (like the train station). Instead of Movie Posters as the preview for the park, it could be posters of "Book Covers" for the attractions. Instead of popcorn smell, it could be the smell of old books! Turning the whole park entrance from entering into our own movie into entering into our own story.
  • Upstairs is a small actual library. Guests can borrow books for the day to read while in queue lines (with either a cash deposit or a credit card on file. They come with reusable plastic sleeves to keep the books safe on water rides.
  • Connected to the library (but with a separate streetside entrance too) is the book store. Dogood & Readwell's. (Definitely taking that name @DashHaber).
  • First floor of the bookstore is just a place to buy books, bookmarks, board games, and other novelties.
  • The second floor (which connects directly to the library) has a ghost storyteller. Pepper's Ghost projections of the ghosts of famous authors reading excerpts from their famous stories. Or poems or short stories. Fairytales read by the Brother's Grim. Parts of Tom Sawyer read by Mark Twain. The Raven read by Edgar Allen Poe. These stories and the ghosts who tell them fit into the darker/spookier side of Harbortown and serve as a substitute for the Main Street Cinema as a casual, air conditioned place for families to rest and enjoy some casual, passive entertainment.
  • The whole library/book store set up establishes a guiding principle for the park. The simple wonder of storytelling and a start of our own story!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Library Entrance/Bookstore notes/draft. This is the base I'll build into an actual (though for the sake of the project short) write up. If anything sucks, let me know!

• First story is mostly just a tunnel people pass under (like the train station). Instead of Movie Posters as the preview for the park, it could be posters of "Book Covers" for the attractions. Instead of popcorn smell, it could be the smell of old books! Turning the whole park entrance from entering into our own movie into entering into our own story.
  • Upstairs is a small actual library. Guests can borrow books for the day to read while in queue lines (with either a cash deposit or a credit card on file. They come with reusable plastic sleeves to keep the books safe on water rides.
  • Connected to the library (but with a separate streetside entrance too) is the book store. Dogood & Readwell's. (Definitely taking that name @DashHaber).
  • First floor of the bookstore is just a place to buy books, bookmarks, board games, and other novelties.
  • The second floor (which connects directly to the library) has a ghost storyteller. Pepper's Ghost projections of the ghosts of famous authors reading excerpts from their famous stories. Or poems or short stories. Fairytales read by the Brother's Grim. Parts of Tom Sawyer read by Mark Twain. The Raven read by Edgar Allen Poe. These stories and the ghosts who tell them fit into the darker/spookier side of Harbortown and serve as a substitute for the Main Street Cinema as a casual, air conditioned place for families to rest and enjoy some casual, passive entertainment.
  • The whole library/book store set up establishes a guiding principle for the park. The simple wonder of storytelling and a start of our own story!
Also, I'm picturing the library entrance being named: Beacon Public Library. Named after the Boston Athenaeum on Beacon Street (A boston landmark). Arched ceilings, marble, hardwood floors, old school charm. Blend this architecture with the traditional Main Street Train Station design.
1600638052643.png

1600638059820.png

1600638066403.png

Brer Panther

Alright, here's my shot at the seasonal shop...

Sally's Seasonal Sweets and Souvenirs
1600640766518.png
They're always celebrating something at this combination gift shop and confectionary. No matter what time of the year it is, you'll find decorations, apparel, gifts, and treats perfect for whatever holiday is just around the corner. In October, the shelves are stocked with jack-o-lanterns and Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise, with cookies in Jack Skellington's likeness and pumpkin spice cupcakes available for snacking on. When December arrives, Christmas ornaments and plushes of Mickey dressed as Santa Claus are among the merchandise that guests can choose from while sipping hot chocolate or munching on gingerbread cookies. And once Easter comes around, stuffed bunnies and jelly bean-covered cupcakes are the main draw. Just five seconds inside Seasonal Sweets and Souvenirs will be enough to put anyone in the holiday mood!

Last edited:

DashHaber

Happy to see that you like the name. Also, nice ideas there.

If there is anything that I can help out on, I'm happy to help.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Alright, here's my shot at the seasonal shop...

Seasonal Sweets and Souvenirs
View attachment 499222
They're always celebrating something at this combination gift shop and confectionary. No matter what time of the year it is, you'll find decorations, apparel, gifts, and treats perfect for whatever holiday is just around the corner. In October, the shelves are stocked with jack-o-lanterns and Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise, with cookies in Jack Skellington's likeness and pumpkin spice cupcakes available for snacking on. When December arrives, Christmas ornaments and plushes of Mickey dressed as Santa Claus are among the merchandise that guests can choose from while sipping hot chocolate or munching on gingerbread cookies. And once Easter comes around, stuffed bunnies and jelly bean-covered cupcakes are the main draw. Just five seconds inside Seasonal Sweets and Souvenirs will be enough to put anyone in the holiday mood!
Love it! Only change I'd suggest is to give it a bit more of a name.

Even something as simple as adding someone's name too it that would give your shop a face. Something like Sally's Seasonal Sweets and Souvenirs and throw in a throwaway line about Sally Sitwell's family running this shop for generationg to honor how important holidays and traditions are to them or some simple junk like that. Idk lol. Or ignore the character angle and just give it a name like "Traditions Holiday Shoppe" or whatever.

Happy to see that you like the name. Also, nice ideas there.

If there is anything that I can help out on, I'm happy to help.

I think with three people we probably have shops covered. But if you don't mind going with something a little weird, I don't believe anyone is working on Guest Relations or First Aid. Both things that could help ground our Main street and make it feel more real. And more like a Main Street

DashHaber

I think with three people we probably have shops covered. But if you don't mind going with something a little weird, I don't believe anyone is working on Guest Relations or First Aid. Both things that could help ground our Main street and make it feel more real. And more like a Main Street
Sure, I can look into ideas for Guest Relations and First Aid. Definitely a bit different to think about how to theme these more functional spaces, but I'm up for that.

Orange Cat

I’ve “completed” a very, very rough draft of the Mariner’s Retreat write-up. ———————————————————————————————————————————
na-nDK8g5E-5BpFDwprJcmsty2l_Dwx32_zZUxchohsbvsPyQX36Yqa04P4NpsSuCykD-Hb2XS31tdM1zArlgDmQn7fBMg0JjzXLdhiJMzbOFXYF94Gn_aQ_62Uf2OM2F_GTk_nB
Welcome to the Mariner’s Retreat, a dine-in restaurant where sailors (or non-sailors) can grab a bite at the end of the day. Inside the establishment guests can enjoy the songs of some of the sailors, or read tall tales on the back of the menu, speaking of which...
dX79am6sIOp-cGuw1P-iKNd4pRlJxL9YiZ-WlGM9hSjlSN7GVTOqZc8dZuG8oMpB4H8415oGhiFsEliDXfM95zpLYyEtl9Ab3C7Sr-XQKJvpmOdcPzt3Fww9kJ8KHjPeOnAS1xBR
When it comes to the interior of the the eatery, guests can expect something along the lines of this
AFgYgYilo-9FF2gIltCKOEPPe7XnwtmDMJwK4Qqz3uCkEBggffOONPvbA0NLIPzf3fyUJIpycCcUF2qTemF2uIh06cTC3vltgbOYleQy_PsMGDaE2IlNafEPVmq09JWmRwJA5uld
(with a bit more “fishy” theming thrown in), with rooftop seating also being offered for anyone who would like to get an overhead view of Harbor Town U.S.A

Attachments

• 1600644106891.jpeg
    1600644106891.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1600644107157.jpeg
    1600644107157.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 1600644107423.png
    1600644107423.png
    603 KB · Views: 23

PerGron

In the mid-late 1800s baseball was a big sport in New England - the Boston Red Stockings - then Boston Braves - now Atlanta Braves, played in the South End Grounds and on the Charles River - both coastal areas
SouthEndGrounds_GS1.png

So figured we could use an additional quick service spot - Red Stocking Inn
View attachment 499255

There's nothing more Boston than celebrating our New England Sports Teams, and I can imagine that goes all the way back to these days as well

Brer Panther

So a couple things to just touch on for aesthetics, I think for the restaurant and also along the water, we should have touches of fishing and (in particular) whaling. Whaling was a huge part of New England history, so it’d be neat if we had artifacts around the harbor, and if we could have a replica whale skeleton somewhere that’d be super cool and fit thematically
I really like this idea. I'd like to incorporate some sort of whaling motif somewhere. Like, calling a restaurant "Ahab's" or something like that.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I really like this idea. I'd like to incorporate some sort of whaling motif somewhere. Like, calling a restaurant "Ahab's" or something like that.
Ahab & Salem's House of Curios selling magic tricks, Haunted Mansion/Lighthouse Merch, and other vaguely spooky items that is a shop where there is a giant whale skeleton that the shop is seemingly built around could be a reall interesting store blending Boston, New England, and spooky stuff.

Like, it could be sort of like a ship in a bottle, but instead of a bottle its a gift shop and instead of a ship it's a Whale skeleton

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom