1986 Blue Sky Park - Harbortown U.S.A. Brainstorm

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

1600627085658.png

PerGron

So a couple things to just touch on for aesthetics, I think for the restaurant and also along the water, we should have touches of fishing and (in particular) whaling. Whaling was a huge part of New England history, so it’d be neat if we had artifacts around the harbor, and if we could have a replica whale skeleton somewhere that’d be super cool and fit thematically

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
So a couple things to just touch on for aesthetics, I think for the restaurant and also along the water, we should have touches of fishing and (in particular) whaling. Whaling was a huge part of New England history, so it’d be neat if we had artifacts around the harbor, and if we could have a replica whale skeleton somewhere that’d be super cool and fit thematically
Definitely agree

Also found this - we don't have to use it, it's just soothing

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Alright, Team Shopping! @Brer Panther and @pix! Here's more or less what I'm thinking for the list of stores. A lot of wiggle room here though. And we could always add more if we wanted to or do less.
  • Holiday Shop that changes with seasons - @Brer Panther
  • Emporium Style Store
  • Hat Shop/Place for embroidery
  • Camera Store (we're in the 80s, gotta be able to buy our disposables! They're a brand new, exciting technology!)
  • Book Store/Library (We were talking about one for the Spooky/West/Left/Weast Side entrance. Might as well make it functional) - @Pi on my Cake
  • Small Scale niche shop (something about the scale of the Magic Shop in Disneyland)

giphy.gif

DashHaber

This is insane! Are you sure this is how it's going to play out?
I know it sounds crazy, but this is how I was initially envisioning the attraction.

The fact of the matter is that "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" segment from The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad is still fondly remembered as one of the creepier pieces of Disney animation thanks to its rendition of the Headless Horseman. So, making this something of a "haunted house" attraction made sense. However, considering this is Disney, there'd surely be complaints if it got too scary. So, I tried to think about the elements for the attraction to fit this.

For instance, there are no scare-actors in the attraction. All of the appearances of the Headless Horseman would be done with essentially 2D cut-out figures, given briefs reveals in light. There would be no actual violence depicted in the attraction. Even the covered bridge scene wouldn't have anything actually thrown at guests. It would simply be a hidden air jet, positioned to give a burst of air around the head and shoulders. The reason for that small scare is that I feel like the shot of that jack o'lantern flying towards the camera is such an iconic moment from the short, but there's no realistic way to depict it. Thus, we instead use air to suggest that it just narrowly missed us as we run away from the Headless Horseman and head to the other side.

Besides that, it is all lights, sound, and mood. I tried my best to edge the line of a "haunted house" attraction, but still keep it within the Disney parameters.

Meanwhile, I've gone ahead and updated some of the naming in the queue and basic attraction logline to reflect the Harbortown USA naming.

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I know it sounds crazy, but this is how I was initially envisioning the attraction.

The fact of the matter is that "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" segment from The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad is still fondly remembered as one of the creepier pieces of Disney animation thanks to its rendition of the Headless Horseman. So, making this something of a "haunted house" attraction made sense. However, considering this is Disney, there'd surely be complaints if it got too scary. So, I tried to think about the elements for the attraction to fit this.

For instance, there are no scare-actors in the attraction. All of the appearances of the Headless Horseman would be done with essentially 2D cut-out figures, given briefs reveals in light. There would be no actual violence depicted in the attraction. Even the covered bridge scene wouldn't have anything actually thrown at guests. It would simply be a hidden air jet, positioned to give a burst of air around the head and shoulders. The reason for that small scare is that I feel like the shot of that jack o'lantern flying towards the camera is such an iconic moment from the short, but there's no realistic way to depict it. Thus, we instead use air to suggest that it just narrowly missed us as we run away from the Headless Horseman and head to the other side.

Besides that, it is all lights, sound, and mood. I tried my best to edge the line of a "haunted house" attraction, but still keep it within the Disney parameters.

Meanwhile, I've gone ahead and updated some of the naming in the queue and basic attraction logline to reflect the Harbortown USA naming.
This park would be opening 1 year after Black cauldron. Disney wasn't too worried about being a little scary back then lol. But it is a smart move to not go too overboard

DashHaber

This park would be opening 1 year after Black cauldron. Disney wasn't too worried about being a little scary back then lol. But it is a smart move to not go too overboard
Thanks. Yeah, I tried to pull back to a more modest approach, and I hope it works for delivering some of the spooky factors that guests would want for a Sleepy Hollow attraction while still feeling largely accessible.

In the meantime, I do have two suggestion in terms of a snack stand and that library. One idea for a snack stand could be a Johnny Appleseed-inspired stand with apple-related treats, maybe called The Appleseed Orchard. Meanwhile, a name that could work for a book store might be Dogood and Readwell, with the name being a slight reference to the "Silence Dogood" pen name that Benjamin Franklin once used.

Outbound

Are we setting this park in 1986? On one hand, I think it’d be an awesome parameter to work around. So much technology we take for granted wouldn’t be possible, and I think the limitations would lead to some cool, out-of-the-box solutions.

But on the other hand, Muppet Hamilton is too good to pass up.

PerGron

Are we setting this park in 1986? On one hand, I think it’d be an awesome parameter to work around. So much technology we take for granted wouldn’t be possible, and I think the limitations would lead to some cool, out-of-the-box solutions.

But on the other hand, Muppet Hamilton is too good to pass up.

Yeah I was a bit confused by that as well. I assumed we were set in modern day and the 1986 thing was just thematic for the story? @mickeyfan5534 @TheOriginalTiki

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom