1986: An Imagineering Competition - HYPE THREAD

D Hulk

Question of the Day
View attachment 499452
Does anyone have thoughts on the completed Castle of Magical Dreams?​
x6aDykf7D2BeCa2fseusM2hIKs2p4MHL5sU_1CwMz1s7nbN7S5CqVNhFZyMaley0NKnsfBCUXo05F-nozbekY_gpHaLrGgKj8R8WkpPXiaFwuOjQijf_X4Q_1VzvlIfWYXRhHhQZhOdJW3yqfWMpMgyyP8KYvysq-F4

tcool123

Question of the Day
View attachment 499452
Does anyone have thoughts on the completed Castle of Magical Dreams?​
A different image of the same castle.
D83D1A0D-A411-49F4-8AEA-41EA525E71A9.jpeg

Either way though....
1600785527912.gif

For me personally, it’s too many colours, too many styles, too many chefs in a kitchen. It doesn’t really flow to me and looks like a clustermesh of too many different styles. I dont even think all the colours truly go together either. Teal, gold, pink, blue, red, the weird off putting ombré occurring as you go upwards. I think somebody’s messed up the paint job.

DashHaber

A different image of the same castle.
View attachment 499456

Either way though....
View attachment 499458
For me personally, it’s too many colours, too many styles, too many chefs in a kitchen. It doesn’t really flow to me and looks like a clustermesh of too many different styles. I dont even think all the colours truly go together either. Teal, gold, pink, blue, red, the weird off putting ombré occurring as you go upwards. I think somebody’s messed up the paint job.
I think that might be part of my issue with it. I like the basic idea, but it feels like they cramped all the flourishes around the lower section of the castle, whereas the higher points are lacking anything special to them.

spacemt354

Chili's
I want to like it - I do like the slim design but overall it looks too gaudy to me. Much like the Tree of Life, you can pay tribute to several princesses in a more subtle fashion that when viewed from far away, looks like one distinct tree (or in this case castle)

Here's it's too obvious where the divides are

Suchomimus

In other news, Netflix have cancelled Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance literally a day after it wins an Emmy. Get stuffed, Netflix!
Netflix: Adds a new movie that normalizes p********* to its library, and keeps it on despite getting possibly the form of backlash through stock prices, subscription cancellations, consumer boycotts, and possibly having legal action taken by the U.S.A. Department of Justice.
Also Netflix: Cancels a show that has garnered universal praise amongst critics and audiences, reached Netflix's trending spot several times rated as a top TV show by several media outlets, been nominated for and won several awards, and revived interest in a cult classic after just one season calling it an expensive disappointment.

spacemt354

Chili's
So watching the full Beauty and the Beast ride-through, I wouldn't put a rank to it off a video, but at the same time maybe my expectations were a bit too high.

Definitely a must-see and step up from anything in recent memory in terms of technology. However in terms of an attraction, I feel like so much effort was put into the tech-side that the story is kinda just a book-report with 4-5 rooms.

Compare that to something like RotR or even MMRR and those while perhaps animatronically inferior to BatB, story-wise those two are more my cup of tea.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So watching the full Beauty and the Beast ride-through, I wouldn't put a rank to it off a video, but at the same time maybe my expectations were a bit too high.

Definitely a must-see and step up from anything in recent memory in terms of technology. However in terms of an attraction, I feel like so much effort was put into the tech-side that the story is kinda just a book-report with 4-5 rooms.

Compare that to something like RotR or even MMRR and those while perhaps animatronically inferior to BatB, story-wise those two are more my cup of tea.
I agree. A technological marvel with a ton of wow moments! But it has the same storytelling/pacing issues as Frozenstorm or Little Mermaid

Disney Dad 3000

Pretty much my thoughts. I'll catch it and fully determine when our team Brava reunion in TD happens, but this just left me kind of...huh. Really cool aspects to it technically obviously, but just seemed like you go to room, dance around, go to next room.
I won't slam it as we all have different tastes and im sure many will be absolutely over the moon about it. Just seems like a few tweaks to the journey and it would be much higher on my radar. That being said I'd probably ride it often anyway if I was a TD regular. With all the movement seems like you could catch a few bits here and there each ride (not on scale of MMRR or Rise though).

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
See I think this is so much more than a book report because it feels so atmospheric. @TheOriginalTiki and I talked about this in our podcast on it but while there's elements of book report, the ride is so focused on the atmosphere of the movie and the world and something of a return to old-fashioned storytelling where you have to connect the dots and make your own story.

spacemt354

Chili's
See I think this is so much more than a book report because it feels so atmospheric. @TheOriginalTiki and I talked about this in our podcast on it but while there's elements of book report, the ride is so focused on the atmosphere of the movie and the world and something of a return to old-fashioned storytelling where you have to connect the dots and make your own story.
I can see that but to me at least when the story has been told before (a tale as old as time pardon the pun) it's harder to make your own narrative when it's following the film. For those that truly love the film though I can definitely see this being their #1 go-to attraction at TDL now however.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom